Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Mortgage for Malaysia, without MM2H?

Mortgage for Malaysia, without MM2H?

Old Mar 27th 2008, 6:55 am
Just Joined

cwman99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mortgage for Malaysia, without MM2H?

Hello Chaps,

As the title says - is this possible.
I have found loans available for the MM2H programme, but feel that it is geared more for folk nearing retirement, as the financial commitments are quite heavy.
I am only 30, so retirement is a ways off yet. I would however like to buy a place in KL (or nearby), for investment and/or perhaps as a holiday home, for it's a short commute from the Middle East.

I can't find any info on financing it though - is it possible to get a loan from a bank in Malaysia without being in the MM2H program. Or would I have to finance from an 'international'/offshore bank that does such loans.

Anyone have experience of this, or can point me to some links etc?

Cheers, Regards

C
Old Mar 27th 2008, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Dougie2sheds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mortgage for Malaysia, without MM2H?

Hello,

Good luck, Getting mortgages in ASIA can be a nightmare, however, my IFA made me aware of a very handy alternative way to raise cash.

I have a Personal Portfolio Bond with Royal Skandia worth around $500,000 and my IFA arranged a interest only from a Bank in the Isle of Man using my PPB as collateral. I managed to release $200,000 from my PPB for a property purchase without having to cash-in any of the assets in my portfolio (which can be expensive), my investments are still growing and valued at $500,000+, I own the property outright and only have to pay $700 dollars a month in interest repayments, of course I still owe $200,000 however, I will just pay the capital when my policy matures or investments rocket or when I sell the property. My loan is only 4.20% and if you repay the capital early there are no penalties. Compare that to some mortgage rates and arrangements and if you have a PPB it may be a cost affective alternative.

Cheers
Tommy
Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:03 pm
still pat

pcrawford is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dougie2sheds
Hello,

Good luck, Getting mortgages in ASIA can be a nightmare, however, my IFA made me aware of a very handy alternative way to raise cash.

I have a Personal Portfolio Bond with Royal Skandia worth around $500,000 and my IFA arranged a interest only from a Bank in the Isle of Man using my PPB as collateral. I managed to release $200,000 from my PPB for a property purchase without having to cash-in any of the assets in my portfolio (which can be expensive), my investments are still growing and valued at $500,000+, I own the property outright and only have to pay $700 dollars a month in interest repayments, of course I still owe $200,000 however, I will just pay the capital when my policy matures or investments rocket or when I sell the property. My loan is only 4.20% and if you repay the capital early there are no penalties. Compare that to some mortgage rates and arrangements and if you have a PPB it may be a cost affective alternative.

Cheers
Tommy
sorry
Old May 21st 2008, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

djoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cwman99
Hello Chaps,

As the title says - is this possible.
I have found loans available for the MM2H programme, but feel that it is geared more for folk nearing retirement, as the financial commitments are quite heavy.
I am only 30, so retirement is a ways off yet. I would however like to buy a place in KL (or nearby), for investment and/or perhaps as a holiday home, for it's a short commute from the Middle East.

I can't find any info on financing it though - is it possible to get a loan from a bank in Malaysia without being in the MM2H program. Or would I have to finance from an 'international'/offshore bank that does such loans.

Anyone have experience of this, or can point me to some links etc?

Cheers, Regards

C
Could you send me the links that you found, please. I would like to buy first (with a Malaysian Mortgage) without triggering MM2H yet. I have the qualifications for MM2H (plus someaddtional capital for house purchase) - but the property location\specification etc is of more importance to me. So far the proprties that meet location
and specification are too expensive to me without a Mortgage as I am not selling my house in the UK.

Anyone got any information onf "Golden Oldie" Mortgages as I am retired now - outwith MM2H initially.