Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Medical system/private health insurance for ex pats.

Medical system/private health insurance for ex pats.

Old Apr 16th 2013, 4:42 am
ALH
Just Joined

ALH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical system/private health insurance for ex pats.

Hi all,

Am new to this forum. What a wealth of information, knowledge and experience you guys have! Thank you so much for sharing.

I've already found heaps of useful information in old threads but am still seeking more information on the Malaysian health care system.

For ex pats, is the medical system a user pays system? So if we need to see a dentist we pay as we go?

Can anyone recommend a private health insurance company? The quotes I've been given so far have been through the roof!

Thank you in advance,
Amber
Old Apr 16th 2013, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical system/private health insurance for ex pats.

Originally Posted by ALH
Hi all,

Am new to this forum. What a wealth of information, knowledge and experience you guys have! Thank you so much for sharing.

I've already found heaps of useful information in old threads but am still seeking more information on the Malaysian health care system.

For ex pats, is the medical system a user pays system? So if we need to see a dentist we pay as we go?

Can anyone recommend a private health insurance company? The quotes I've been given so far have been through the roof!

Thank you in advance,
Amber
Hi ALH and welcome. I've only been here 5 weeks but I believe most of is it PAYG. Only experience of health ins. co. I have is the Prudential. A lot depends on your age (I am over 50, though), as to how much. I think mine is quite expensive for what I've got, but my wife (her premium is 1/4 of mine) and all her family are with the Pru and one of her sister's is an agent. No family discount unfortunately!

No doubt some others will be along shortly to give more 'experienced' advice!
Old Apr 20th 2013, 2:18 am
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

Bluenose1 is correct. It is PAYG. My wife, son and his family are also with the Pru. The fees are high. Another company is Great Eastern and there are others.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 2:06 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I can only give opinion as a MM2Her and I know that when I was looking initially some companies would not quote for expats. I looked at a few companies: Kurnia and Allianz looked of most interest. There are others. They do several plans and I picked one of the cheap one. Basically the more you pay for the plan, the more you are covered for. Makes sense.

I thought prices were reasonable (certainly compared with Singapore, Thailand, UK). Just looked my policy up and I am paying RM 1400 per year. I'm in my 50s. It won't cover for all eventualities but my strategy has always been to keep a pot of rainy day money for anything that crops up.

Amber, are you on MM2H?
Old Apr 21st 2013, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Just looked my policy up and I am paying RM 1400 per year. I'm in my 50s. It won't cover for all eventualities but my strategy has always been to keep a pot of rainy day money for anything that crops up.
Good Lord! My wife and I are paying that per month between us
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 12:32 pm
ALH
Just Joined

ALH is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your replies, muchly appreciated.

Bakedbean, we're not on the My 2nd Home plan. We're in our 30's and are relocating through work. Unfortunately health insurance isn't included in our deal. That's ok though, we're happy to find our own. I just wanted to ask around for some more informed opinions than my own on a good provider at a reasonable price.

We've taken out extended travel insurance to allow us time to contact insurance companies to get quotes and information.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 2:22 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Ah OK noted. Not sure what to suggest. Maybe some others will have some ideas.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

rusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of light

Be specific with the insurance companies about your needs. Most will try to sell you global cover (exc USA) which can be VERY expensive. Stress that you need cover for Malaysia only or SE Asia only and the premiums fall. Then, if you travel take out a one off policy for the trip. Its much cheaper.