Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Mecical/Health Insurance questions

Mecical/Health Insurance questions

Old Jun 30th 2019, 8:46 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Flyguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mecical/Health Insurance questions

Hi All,
I am an MM2H'er, recently retired. My Health Insurance is coming up for renewal and my insurer has just jacked up the premia by 40%. It was a Group Scheme policy and they'd been moaning that they weren't making money on it, so I feel they are just hoping to shut it down quickly.

Time to find an alternative.

That policy was an 'Expat Policy', which to me means it's portable anywhere in the world. Necessary if you move about a lot. My job required that kind of cover. Now that I'm retired I'll be based full time in Malaysia - so I do not need 'Expat Cover' like I used to. I've been hoping to switch to a 'local policy' from this renewal.

I've found that imoney.my has a useful comparison table. Having been through the offerings there over the weekend I've selected a couple of options which would likely fit the bill. But I'm seeing a note on all these policies which says 'Eligibility: Malaysian and Permanent Resident of Malaysia'.
There are two ways to read that statement!
Does it mean you must be PR and ALSO a Malaysian?
Or does it mean either/or PR or Malaysian?
It's badly worded. I can't clarify until I can call these companies next week.

I'm wondering if any of the members here have been able to take out a local policy? Or am I forced to go the 'Expat' route because all eligibility policies exclude Expats from these local policies?

If local is possible - anyone get any recomendations?

Cheers

Last edited by Flyguy; Jun 30th 2019 at 8:51 am.
Flyguy is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2019, 9:05 am
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: Penang
Posts: 800
SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mecical/Health Insurance questions

The best course of action would be to contact an agent for the insurance company of your choice and ask them what they mean by the sentence 'Eligibility: Malaysian and Permanent Resident of Malaysia'
It would be best to spell out to them that you have MM2H and ask them if they can cover you.
Recently I needed a travel insurance and came across the same sentence. They told me that in their case MM2H was sufficient to qualify for that insurance.
SushiFan is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2019, 9:36 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Flyguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mecical/Health Insurance questions

Yep, I'll be doing that tomorrow morning. But I'm curious to know if anyone else here has a local policy?
How about you SushiFan?
Flyguy is offline  
Old Jul 1st 2019, 8:38 am
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: Penang
Posts: 800
SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mecical/Health Insurance questions

Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
Yep, I'll be doing that tomorrow morning. But I'm curious to know if anyone else here has a local policy?
How about you SushiFan?
Yes, I have a local medical cost insurance as that was/is one of the requirements for MM2H.
I also have a local travel insurance and the insurance company confirmed that MM2H is sufficient to be eligible for this insurance.
I haven't checked whether the car insurance has any requirements regarding visa status. However, I did have one minor accident and the insurance company did arrange everything that was necessary. So I think that things are OK.
SushiFan is offline  
Old Jul 1st 2019, 10:43 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Location: Penang
Posts: 76
man from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mecical/Health Insurance questions

You say you have just retired, one assumes @ 65. new health insurance over that age, is very limited, if not already covered by any policy, as you are already covered by an Expat policy maybe asking them if they can cover for Malaysia only, then take out travel insurance when ever you go abroad. Most policies are grouped by area coverage i.e. Asia, Eurpore, & USA, can try Asia only.
Otherwise as others have said see the broker there are only a few major Malaysian insures before you have to start considering the international ones.
man from emas is offline  
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 3:35 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2017
Location: Penang
Posts: 69
simon2017 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mecical/Health Insurance questions

I just renewed my local insurance policy with Progressive Insurance that I originally got for MM2H. Details at the following link.

https://www.progressiveinsurance.com...PCare_Jade.pdf

They will insure you up to 70 years of age provided that you take out insurance before you are 60 ..... so may not be for you depending on your age.
simon2017 is offline  
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 4:29 am
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Flyguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mecical/Health Insurance questions

Thanks folks - I'll be 60 in late August. Took early retirement.
Sounds like I need to get this sorted before I hit 60!

Edit: Just spoke to my Broker. He told me, yes, MM2H Visa holders can get local policies. Yay!
But - because I have a pre existing condition I won't get ANY insurance in Malaysia. Not a single insurer will cover it, he says. They won't even cover me if I accept an exclusion on my pre existing cond.
I find this incredible - that there must be tons of people walking around Malaysia who cannot get ANY health insurance whatever because of a single pre existing condition. That's really outrageous.
So I guess its the expat insurance route for me.

Last edited by Flyguy; Jul 3rd 2019 at 6:19 am.
Flyguy is offline  
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 7:36 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 31
meched55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mecical/Health Insurance questions

Tokio Marine covers you for much longer and very reasonable prices too.
I don't know how good they are. I think from what I recall you have to pay out 1st then they reimburse everything.
I don't like that method. But will see when the time comes.
meched55 is offline  
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 8:19 am
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: Penang
Posts: 800
SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mecical/Health Insurance questions

Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
Thanks folks - I'll be 60 in late August. Took early retirement.
Sounds like I need to get this sorted before I hit 60!

Edit: Just spoke to my Broker. He told me, yes, MM2H Visa holders can get local policies. Yay!
But - because I have a pre existing condition I won't get ANY insurance in Malaysia. Not a single insurer will cover it, he says. They won't even cover me if I accept an exclusion on my pre existing cond.
I find this incredible - that there must be tons of people walking around Malaysia who cannot get ANY health insurance whatever because of a single pre existing condition. That's really outrageous.
So I guess its the expat insurance route for me.
The MM2H application requirements state that you must have a medical insurance unless you can show a clear reason why you can't get it. You seem to have a clear reason. However, I'm not sure whether you would want to disclose this on your MM2H application.
My medical insurance is with AIA Malaysia. I believe that they also exclude pre-existing conditions, but haven't checked that in detail.

SushiFan is offline  
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 11:58 am
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 569
Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mecical/Health Insurance questions

I would contact the insurance companies directly and ask what applies for your specific pre-existing condition.
On AIA website it states that the insurance does not cover for pre-existing illnesses, which implies that you won't get compensated for any treatments which can be related to such illness. (Which in itself canbe a cause of conflicting interpretations)
But as the website only provides general information, I think you have to check with them in detail.
(https://www.aia.com.my/content/dam/m...r-brochure.pdf)
Gunnar45 is offline  
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 1:02 pm
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Location: Kuching, Sarawak
Posts: 441
RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mecical/Health Insurance questions

Originally Posted by SushiFan View Post
The MM2H application requirements state that you must have a medical insurance unless you can show a clear reason why you can't get it. You seem to have a clear reason. However, I'm not sure whether you would want to disclose this on your MM2H application.
My medical insurance is with AIA Malaysia. I believe that they also exclude pre-existing conditions, but haven't checked that in detail.

I thought that the main reason for the Medical Exam was to eliminate folks who are potential hazards...drug abuse, TB or sexually transmitted diseases...not to eliminate those seeking potentially less expensive healthcare. And you are supposed to self-report a whole,e bevy of illnesses. If one has diabetes, or prior incidents of heart disease would that be disqualifying?

My Borang RB2 Medical Report Gives the Physician four alternatives to check off
1) He or she is not suffering from and disease and is healthy.
2) He/She is not very Healthy but is not suffering from any contagious or infectious disease/
3) He/She is not Healthy and is Suffering from Contagious or Infectious Disease which makes his/her presence dangerous to the Community.
4) He/She is not Healthy and Unfit for a Long Distance Travel and Chances of Recovery is Very Slim.

I think 1 & 2 are passes, but 3 & 4 are disqualifying.
RedApe is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2019, 5:22 am
  #12  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Flyguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mecical/Health Insurance questions

I rang several Insurers directly yesterday and at least 2 of them told me that although their policy blurbs say 'pre existing conditions not covered' they in fact 'look at each case individually' and encouraged me to apply and see. I've started to do that today.

It's not that I can't get insurance - I certainly can. But it will be Expat Insurance, and its bloody expensive.
Flyguy is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2019, 9:01 am
  #13  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: Penang
Posts: 800
SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mecical/Health Insurance questions

Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
It's not that I can't get insurance - I certainly can. But it will be Expat Insurance, and its bloody expensive.
What is "Expat Insurance"?
I hope that you will be able to find a suitable insurance.
SushiFan is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2019, 9:07 am
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: Penang
Posts: 800
SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mecical/Health Insurance questions

Originally Posted by RedApe View Post
I thought that the main reason for the Medical Exam was to eliminate folks who are potential hazards...drug abuse, TB or sexually transmitted diseases...not to eliminate those seeking potentially less expensive healthcare. And you are supposed to self-report a whole,e bevy of illnesses. If one has diabetes, or prior incidents of heart disease would that be disqualifying?

My Borang RB2 Medical Report Gives the Physician four alternatives to check off
1) He or she is not suffering from and disease and is healthy.
2) He/She is not very Healthy but is not suffering from any contagious or infectious disease/
3) He/She is not Healthy and is Suffering from Contagious or Infectious Disease which makes his/her presence dangerous to the Community.
4) He/She is not Healthy and Unfit for a Long Distance Travel and Chances of Recovery is Very Slim.

I think 1 & 2 are passes, but 3 & 4 are disqualifying.
The form about illnesses (http://www.mm2h.gov.my/pdf/Medical%2...m%20RB%20I.pdf) asks for various illnesses, such as mental illness, tuberculosis, epilepsy, chronic asthma, hepatitis, diabetes and heart disease. The doctor's investigation has to confirm that you filled it out correctly. Which one of these illnesses would disqualify you for MM2H I don't know.

SushiFan is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2019, 1:53 pm
  #15  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Location: Kuching, Sarawak
Posts: 441
RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mecical/Health Insurance questions

Originally Posted by SushiFan View Post
The form about illnesses (http://www.mm2h.gov.my/pdf/Medical%2...m%20RB%20I.pdf) asks for various illnesses, such as mental illness, tuberculosis, epilepsy, chronic asthma, hepatitis, diabetes and heart disease. The doctor's investigation has to confirm that you filled it out correctly. Which one of these illnesses would disqualify you for MM2H I don't know.


The Immigration Act states"8.Prohibited immigrants.

(1)Any person who, in the opinion of the Director General-
(a)is a member of any of the prohibited classes as defined in subsection (3) and is not a citizen is a prohibited immigrant.
(b)(Repealed).
(2)Subject to any exemption granted under section 55-
(a)no prohibited immigrant who is a member of the prohibited class defined in subsection (3) (0) shall enter Malaysia, or, where he becomes a member of such prohibited class after he has entered Malaysia, remains in Malaysia; and
(b)no other prohibited immigrant shall enter Malaysia, unless he is in possession of a valid Pass in that behalf issuable to a prohibited immigrant under any regulations made under this Act.
(3)The following persons are members of the prohibited classes:
(a)any person who is unable to show that he has the means of supporting himself and his dependants (if any) or that he has definite employment awaiting him, or who is likely to become a pauper or a charge on the public;
(b)any person suffering from mental disorder or being a mental defective, or suffering from a contagious or infectious disease which makes his presence in Malaysia dangerous to the community..."

Now, as in mainly Malaysian legal documents the Oxford comma needs to be better applied for clarity...or the two components separate into different sentences. Would someone with an 80 IQ or illiterate be considered a mental defective? Someone being treated for depression? A Sleep disorder? And does the "which makes his presence in Malaysia dangerous to the community" apply to both the mental and the organic/physiological disease cases.

But there is no mention of Diabetes, Epilepsy, Chronic Asthma and Heart Disease? These are neither contagious and would be unlikely to constitute a threat to the public. They mainly constitute a threat to self, but are treatable. Many mental illnesses are treatable and pose no threat to others.

But lying on an immigration or Boras B2 document also is a potentially deportable violation. "(3)Where in pursuance of any inquiry by, or any requirement of, an immigration officer under subsection (1) any statement is made by any person, whether or not in answer to a question by an immigration office, or any document is produced by any person, or any certificate is issued by Government Medical Officer, such statement, document or certificate shall be admissible in evidence in any proceedings in court under this Act against the person who made the statement or produced the document, or against the person in respect of whom the certificate was issued, or against any other person."

It seems bizarre to me that a country attempting to promote Health Tourism would deny entry to those "as Prohibited Immigrants" that would be receiving treatment within those Health Tourism Programs. Diabetes, Heart Disease, and Neurological Issues are all cited as to areas in which Malaysia excels and wishes to receive more Health Care Tourists.

https://www.mhtc.org.my/malaysia-hea...nt-once-again/

https://www.mhtc.org.my/health-touri...-to-the-heart/

Last edited by RedApe; Jul 4th 2019 at 2:05 pm.
RedApe is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.