Reload this Page >

Mecical/Health Insurance questions

Mecical/Health Insurance questions

Old Jul 4th 2019, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

simon2017 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mecical/Health Insurance questions

Originally Posted by Flyguy
I rang several Insurers directly yesterday and at least 2 of them told me that although their policy blurbs say 'pre existing conditions not covered' they in fact 'look at each case individually' and encouraged me to apply and see. I've started to do that today.

It's not that I can't get insurance - I certainly can. But it will be Expat Insurance, and its bloody expensive.
Every individual circumstance is different but what I've done is maintained my medical insurance in my home country, so that if cancer/heart etc occur I'd go back to my home country to be around family/friends, and am using Malay insurance to cover the non life threatening situations.
Might be worth looking at as an alternative to expensive expat insurance. In my case a cheaper option.
Old Jul 4th 2019, 2:52 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simon2017
Every individual circumstance is different but what I've done is maintained my medical insurance in my home country, so that if cancer/heart etc occur I'd go back to my home country to be around family/friends, and am using Malay insurance to cover the non life threatening situations.
Might be worth looking at as an alternative to expensive expat insurance. In my case a cheaper option.
Hi Simon. Would an advantage of having expat insurance be that it would cover you for medical repatriation to your home country? I was just thinking that if something occurred that left you with severe disabilities (such as a stroke) and you were unfit to travel via normal methods, then you'd have no option but to rely on your Malaysian health insurance? Medical repatriation is hellishly expensive.
Old Jul 5th 2019, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

simon2017 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hi Simon. Would an advantage of having expat insurance be that it would cover you for medical repatriation to your home country? I was just thinking that if something occurred that left you with severe disabilities (such as a stroke) and you were unfit to travel via normal methods, then you'd have no option but to rely on your Malaysian health insurance? Medical repatriation is hellishly expensive.
That certainly would be an advantage but if something like that happened I'd have to use Malaysian health cover. I don't know what expat insurance costs but I'm using Australia highest hospital/dental/physio/extras etc cover which costs me around AUD 3,300 pa and Malay insurance at RM 1100 pa, so all up around RM11k pa. That Australian cover includes things like knee/hip replacements which I'm not sure any expat or Malay insurance policy would cover. I just had a hip replacement in Australia which had hospital cost of around AUD18k (RM50k) ... all covered by insurance.
Old Jul 8th 2019, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Flyguy has a brilliant futureFlyguy has a brilliant futureFlyguy has a brilliant futureFlyguy has a brilliant futureFlyguy has a brilliant futureFlyguy has a brilliant futureFlyguy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SushiFan
What is "Expat Insurance"?
Expat(riate) Insurance is an Insurance policy that provides cover both inside and outside your home country. It is usually required while living and working abroad where local cover may not be available, or maybe insufficient. It can be a Global Cover policy, or may have some countries excluded (typically the US, because of high med costs).
Old Jul 9th 2019, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I find the annual limits on local policies much too low (typically RM150K) because I quite often travel to high cost countries. So, I've been looking at international health insurers:

Cigna - my current insurer. No claims experience, but the reviews on Trustpilot are just terrible. The premium has risen a lot for the coming year.

Regency for Expats - Reasonable value, but can't find much about them in the way of reviews. They have all of 66 Exclusions listed, including 'manual labour' which they do not define. I don't work, but how about moving my own furniture around, or gardening?

Aetna, William Russell, Foyer Global, April International - all much more expensive than the above.

Pacific Cross - the cheapest international policy I can find, particularly if I take a deductible and some area limits. I know they have a long-standing presence in Thailand, but no offices here in MY. They do have direct-pay agreements with a few hospitals, including Gleneagles in KL. Does anyone know anything good or bad about Pacific?

Last edited by Epicurious; Jul 9th 2019 at 4:20 am.
Old Jul 10th 2019, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Flyguy has a brilliant futureFlyguy has a brilliant futureFlyguy has a brilliant futureFlyguy has a brilliant futureFlyguy has a brilliant futureFlyguy has a brilliant futureFlyguy has a brilliant future

Hi Epicurious. I don't know Pacific Cross. I once had Blue Cross cover in Hong Kong and they had a great 'headline' cover of 5M USD - but hidden away in the small print is a limit of 120HKD PER ILLNESS! That equates to 15,000USD - then you're out on yer ear! Ridiculous, and dangerous. I know of one Philipino colleague who ended up dead from cancer and left his poor family with a bill for 350K USD. So I don't recommend Blue Cross to anyone in HKG!

Has anyone on here had a local policy with Prudential?
I've been warned off their Expat policy, but their local policy seems one of the best on the market.
Old Jul 10th 2019, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Epicurious. I don't know Pacific Cross. I once had Blue Cross cover in Hong Kong and they had a great 'headline' cover of 5M USD - but hidden away in the small print is a limit of 120HKD PER ILLNESS! That equates to 15,000USD - then you're out on yer ear! Ridiculous, and dangerous. I know of one Philipino colleague who ended up dead from cancer and left his poor family with a bill for 350K USD. So I don't recommend Blue Cross to anyone in HKG!

I've been warned off their Expat policy, but their local policy seems one of the best on the market.
Thanks for the tipoff, but as far as I can tell Blue Cross and Pacific Cross seem to be different companies:
https://www.bluecross.com.hk/en/Home/Index
https://www.pacificcross.com/about-u...-globally.html

Old Jul 12th 2019, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice

Ref pre-existing although not here on MM2H we've taken out local insurance with AIA, think they insure until you reach 100 but the premiums do rise steeply after 67 so it may not be affordable. Both of us had pre-existing conditions, my wife as with many middle aged folks was on blood pressure and cholesterol medications I had damage to my left lung from a diving incident. We had to have a medical, they saw the scarring I had already told them about and I guess because it was trauma not disease insured me at normal rates. The were unhappy with my wife's ECG so we had to get a report from a cardiologist he was firmly of the opinion it was the drugs that caused the odd behaviour gave her a stress test and the all clear. After a couple of follow up explanations she did get her insurance too. What we missed out on was the slight saving of a joint policy where the premium is set on the youngest, we have a policy each because of the time to get her medical I had to sign up before my opportunity ran out and would have had to start the process again.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

Looking at their brochure for Senior Med, the lifetime claim limit is RM225K. I don't think that would go very far if you had a major illness or severe accident.

Old Jul 19th 2019, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice

Originally Posted by Epicurious
Looking at their brochure for Senior Med, the lifetime claim limit is RM225K. I don't think that would go very far if you had a major illness or severe accident.
Wow, think our AIA was similar annually but we pay an additional sum to get it bumped up to RM1 million.

Old Jul 19th 2019, 11:54 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Never underestimate the potential costs of treatment, especially such things as chemotherapy. RM40,000 per treatment (8 of them) back in 2013 and the maintenance treatment (12 over 2 years) started at RM40,000 each until the patent on the drug expired in the second year but even then it only went down to around RM20,000 each treatment.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

lacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond repute

I have been with William Russell which I found to be very good, customer service was great. I also have a pre existing condition which was excluded for cover but everything else was fine. I made one claim, when my mother died in UK they refunded me the travel cost within 2 weeks.

I have now changed to Now health insurance, they offer a no claims discount. I am 49yrs old and it cost about £1500 per year, William Russel was sbout £1800.