Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

MDAC required for foreign visitors from 01 Dec 2023

MDAC required for foreign visitors from 01 Dec 2023

Old Dec 3rd 2023, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute
Default MDAC required for foreign visitors from 01 Dec 2023

From December 1, foreigners visiting Malaysia must fill up digital arrival card; autogate available for 10 countries
Foreigners who enter Malaysia will have to fill up the Malaysia Digital Arrival Card (MDAC) online three days before they arrive, with citizens of 10 countries having the added benefit of using autogates for immigration clearance at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) if they meet conditions such as submitting the MDAC, the Immigration Department of Malaysia has said.In announcements posted yesterday on its official Facebook page, the department said this requirement for foreign nationals to complete the MDAC before arriving in Malaysia takes effect as of December 1.

On its website for the online registration of MDAC, the department said the requirement to submit MDAC before arriving in Malaysia applies to all travellers, except for three categories.

The three categories of travellers who do not have to submit the MDAC are those transiting or transferring through Singapore without seeking immigration clearance; Malaysian permanent residents; and Malaysian Automated Clearance System (MACS) Holder.
Malaysia Digital Arrival Card (MDAC)

It isn't clear to me whether or not S-MM2H/MM2H holders who have previously registered for the e-gates have to submit this MDAC.
Old Dec 3rd 2023, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MDAC required for foreign visitors from 01 Dec 2023

Originally Posted by Epicurious
It isn't clear to me whether or not S-MM2H/MM2H holders who have previously registered for the e-gates have to submit this MDAC.
I think a e-gate user must also submit an MDAC. Quoting from your news article quote:
... citizens of 10 countries having the added benefit of using autogates ... if they meet conditions such as submitting the MDAC,
Old Dec 3rd 2023, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but on the "Check Egates Eligilbility Status" page, it says:
Submitted Malaysia Digital Arrival Card (MDAC) 3 days before arrival except for Malaysia Permanent Residence (PR) & Malaysia Long Term Pass holder
Possibly MM2H counts as a Long Term Pass.
Old Dec 4th 2023, 11:38 pm
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

Note that the MDAC registration form requires the person to state the departure (from Malaysia) date. On a Facebook group, which I have now left, posts replying to a German married to a Malaysian who wanted to travel to Malaysia on a one way ticket expectig a tourist visa stating they had done that loads of times and had never been refused entry, I suggest, were lying. Many years ago I was initially refused to fly, having bought a one way ticket to Hong Kong from UK.The only reason they let me fly was that I had also an onward ticket to Japan from Hong Kong so t would be their problem to sort out.
Old Dec 6th 2023, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Someone is reporting on the Sarawak MM2H Facebook group that they phoned Immigration to check and were told that SMM2H/MM2H holders do not need to fill out an MDAC. This being Malaysia, though, it's very possible that another Immigration Officer would have given a different answer.
Old Dec 6th 2023, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Some news outlets are reporting that there is now a grace period throughout December, during which completing the MDAC form will be voluntary, and it will only become compulsory (for those without exemptions) from 1st January 2024.
Old Dec 13th 2023, 4:01 am
Just Joined

Shardy is an unknown quantity at this point

I am told that those on LTSVP (Spouse Visa) do not need to fill the MDAC but I have yet to test this out! Not sure when I am next leaving and returning to Malaysia.