malaysian youth

Old Jun 13th 2012, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

ianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant future
Default malaysian youth

Friends, i would like to throw something into the arena for discussion and thoughts.I have lived in KL for almost 8 years now and in that time it has undergone massive changes with both the city skyline and people considerably different to what they used to be.One thing i am noticing more and more though is the aggressive nature of Malay youths in general! the walkway between Wisma Cosway and the Convention center seems to be one place dominated by young Malays who show absolutely no respect or consideration for anyone.Their behaviour is rude and arrogant and they will deliberatly walk into you at times, i not sure if this is an attempt at provocation(as there is usually at least 10 in a group) or just plain stupidity.Pavillion is another sad case im afraid, especially on Sundays and its not a pleasant atmoshpere sometimes there now.Young Malays used to be so friendly and always had a smile and a"hello" when passing but that no longer seems to be the case.KL is changing rapidly in its efforts to become a fully developed city but somethings are definately not changing for the better,bag snatching is increasing beyond control and is now an epidemic around Sungei Wang/Lot 10 and in general its easy to see why KL has been voted the most unfriendly city in SE Asia for a long time now.
Its a shame because i have enjoyed living here but im looking forward more and more now to finally finishing work and moving out of the city (or am i just getting old?) cheers
Old Jun 13th 2012, 2:39 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: malaysian youth

You have titled the topic Malaysian youth, but you seem to be talking about Malay youth? Is it across the board (Malay, Chinese Malaysian, Indian Malaysian) or are you talking about Malays specifically.

I'm not in KL so cannot really comment. I've been the "victim" of a bag snatch recently here in Penang and, judging by what I've heard, seems to be on the increase possibly. The Indian Malaysians seem to get the blame for much of it.

I've never much cared for KL city centre... though I don't much care for cities in general (maybe with exception of Singapore) and, yes, it is probably an age thing. I prefer a bit more laid-back these days, though not too quiet.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

ianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant future

im refering to Malay youth specifically....in this case
Old Jun 13th 2012, 3:57 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Ah....

As you say, good to look forward to moving on uh?

I don't see much of Malay youths here. I believe there is a Mat Rempit problem. I read recently that Bt Ferringhi polis set up a roadblock one Saturday night (wee hours of the morning) and caught a ton of them and many arrests. Quite impressive operation.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

TopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud of

I'm not based in KL (Penang) so can't really comment on the day to day specifics of the areas you talk about.

One observation based on your comments though:

It may be the case they are looking for a reaction so as to surround the person & distract them while someone is stealing their watch or wallet. Distraction is usually the common denominator when it comes to pickpockets or snatch thieves.

If visitors to KL are really feeling intimidated by local youths I cannot see the authorities standing around & doing nothing, imo they would clamp down hard on any provocation/threat towards visitors in these areas.

My own experience whenever I have visited KL has always been good, in fact I have never felt threatened or intimidated anywhere in Malaysia in my 7 years here.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

TopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Ah....

As you say, good to look forward to moving on uh?

I don't see much of Malay youths here. I believe there is a Mat Rempit problem. I read recently that Bt Ferringhi polis set up a roadblock one Saturday night (wee hours of the morning) and caught a ton of them and many arrests. Quite impressive operation.

Hey bakedbean,

I have came across them many times in petrol stations late at night in the Bayan Baru area.

I've found walking past them confidently armed with a welcoming smile is enough to provoke a polite response in the form of a replicated smile or a bit of light hearted banter.

There can appear to be a daunting number of them but my experience is if you respect them they will respect you back, Malay youth in my experience are on the whole a very friendly bunch.

I've also spent some nights being the only white face in some of the Dangdut clubs of Penang & Melaka, again I have always received a very warm welcome from the clientele.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopHattedCat

I've also spent some nights being the only white face in some of the Dangdut clubs of Penang & Melaka, again I have always received a very warm welcome from the clientele.
Any particular recommendations for Malacca?
Old Jun 14th 2012, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianinmalaysia
Friends, i would like to throw something into the arena for discussion and thoughts.I have lived in KL for almost 8 years now and in that time it has undergone massive changes with both the city skyline and people considerably different to what they used to be.One thing i am noticing more and more though is the aggressive nature of Malay youths in general! the walkway between Wisma Cosway and the Convention center seems to be one place dominated by young Malays who show absolutely no respect or consideration for anyone.Their behaviour is rude and arrogant and they will deliberatly walk into you at times, i not sure if this is an attempt at provocation(as there is usually at least 10 in a group) or just plain stupidity.Pavillion is another sad case im afraid, especially on Sundays and its not a pleasant atmoshpere sometimes there now.Young Malays used to be so friendly and always had a smile and a"hello" when passing but that no longer seems to be the case.KL is changing rapidly in its efforts to become a fully developed city but somethings are definately not changing for the better,bag snatching is increasing beyond control and is now an epidemic around Sungei Wang/Lot 10 and in general its easy to see why KL has been voted the most unfriendly city in SE Asia for a long time now.
Its a shame because i have enjoyed living here but im looking forward more and more now to finally finishing work and moving out of the city (or am i just getting old?) cheers
May well be in part the rapid changes taken place over a relatively short period of time in the sense of materialism and greed amoung other things.

Saying that though even decades back certain sectors of Malay youth had a reputation for robbing from houses etc.
I experienced in Penang myself in 79 when awoke to find my partner's
( of the time) handbag on a pole about to be lifted by a Malay fellow at the window. I chased him and the result was a few large size rocks to the head.

In those days not usual to be attacked but rock throwing not unusual.
Caught a couple of Malay youth peering at women taking showers in Melaka another time and got the same treatment.

Not unusual Malay youth wanting money for minding your car after parking and wanting a reward for doing so. Best to pay otherwise scratches or worse on return.(Found similar thing in Ireland as well)

Generally always found the youth fine with only a few exceptions in both city and village locations. But Malay do have a temper which can be deadly if aroused. Have witnessed others on the receiving end.

I experienced some unfortunate stuff when dating Malay girl but that's another issue.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ex reg
Any particular recommendations for Malacca?
Hi ex reg,

All I remember is it was a ground floor shoplot in the Melaka Raya area.

If you want recommendations for Penang I think I've probably been to them all.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by the troubadour

Not unusual Malay youth wanting money for minding your car after parking and wanting a reward for doing so. Best to pay otherwise scratches or worse on return.(Found similar thing in Ireland as well)

When I used to attend football matches in the UK this practice was rife.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by the troubadour
May well be in part the rapid changes taken place over a relatively short period of time in the sense of materialism and greed amoung other things.

Saying that though even decades back certain sectors of Malay youth had a reputation for robbing from houses etc.
I experienced in Penang myself in 79 when awoke to find my partner's
( of the time) handbag on a pole about to be lifted by a Malay fellow at the window. I chased him and the result was a few large size rocks to the head.

In those days not usual to be attacked but rock throwing not unusual.
Caught a couple of Malay youth peering at women taking showers in Melaka another time and got the same treatment.

Generally always found the youth fine with only a few exceptions in both city and village locations. But Malay do have a temper which can be deadly if aroused. Have witnessed others on the receiving end.

I experienced some unfortunate stuff when dating Malay girl but that's another issue.
My inlaws were expats in Kuching in the 70's/80's. One night some youth break into their house whilst FIL was away; MIL was asleep in bed. They came into bedroom and stole tv/video. They forgot the cables - so they came back the following night for those

In-laws believe Sarawak changed with the introduction of TV.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzSheila
My inlaws were expats in Kuching in the 70's/80's. One night some youth break into their house whilst FIL was away; MIL was asleep in bed. They came into bedroom and stole tv/video. They forgot the cables - so they came back the following night for those

In-laws believe Sarawak changed with the introduction of TV.
Which reminds me of living above the office in Bintulu, Sarawak in1978.
The office was broken into while we were sleeping upstairs with a big bar across the inside of our front entrance door.
The robbers couldn't break into the safe so decided to take it with them.
It was heavy heavy heavy and they got about 150m down the road before they gave up and just dropped it.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ex reg
Which reminds me of living above the office in Bintulu, Sarawak in1978.
The office was broken into while we were sleeping upstairs with a big bar across the inside of our front entrance door.
The robbers couldn't break into the safe so decided to take it with them.
It was heavy heavy heavy and they got about 150m down the road before they gave up and just dropped it.
You got to give it to them - they had gall
Old Jun 16th 2012, 3:29 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopHattedCat
When I used to attend football matches in the UK this practice was rife.
I would never drive to any game in the UK . Got to be public transport , in London anyway .