British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Malaysian Politics (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/malaysian-politics-735946/)

the troubadour Sep 27th 2011 4:42 am

Malaysian Politics

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 9643532)
Yes it could be age.

Language-wise, certainly more people speak English here in Penang than we ever found in Thailand, though not everyone.

Generally, we're finding the banks good and welcoming, which is not always the case in Thailand. Some banks there cannot be bothered with foreigners it seems.

Laws and police... ah... no comment.

I meant in the non interference towards foreigners. To my awareness the police do not attempt to solicit bribes in the same way neighbouring countries tend to do.
Malaysia has in place very repressive laws which probably most who reside there would be aware of.
Thankfully the ruling party since 57 independence, Barisan Nasional appear to be struggling somewhat.
In turn it looks like they will do away with the dreaded Internal Security Act which has made any challenge to the status quo a little dangerous.
I was living there when the then leader of the mostly Chinese DAP party was locked up for sedition, I think the charge was.
Even talk of amending the licensing laws in connection to the requirements of the Printing Press & Publications Law.
This law ensures a very tame and controlled not to say boring press.

Question will be what the replacement acts will look like. It has as I understand be decided not to allow street demonstrations. Not sure if detention without trial for certain offences will be repelled either.
We can be fairly confident that certain rights abusing powers will remain in the books.
Doesn't for the moment really have much impact on Mat Sallehs living in Malaysia though. Of course this could well change if Pan Islamics ever came to power ....
Thought about doing a thread on such matters but as it is more lighter banter on BE decided it not to be the appropriate forum.

bakedbean Sep 27th 2011 6:12 am

Re: Why Retire in Malaysia?

Just had a scour through the Site Rules (top right on the pink banner). I don't see why you cannot do a thread if you wish. As far as I can interpret, as long as you're not deliberately trying to upset anyone, it's okay. We can do religion on here. We've just had a very lively discussion in the main Far East forum about Buddhism. Not sure how many pages it's running to now. It's gone on a bit :D

Be interesting to see how the election goes here in Malaysia when it finally happens.

the troubadour Sep 27th 2011 7:30 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 9643620)
Just had a scour through the Site Rules (top right on the pink banner). I don't see why you cannot do a thread if you wish. As far as I can interpret, as long as you're not deliberately trying to upset anyone, it's okay. We can do religion on here. We've just had a very lively discussion in the main Far East forum about Buddhism. Not sure how many pages it's running to now. It's gone on a bit :D

Be interesting to see how the election goes here in Malaysia when it finally happens.

I was thinking more in the line of perhaps not much interest on the subject of Malaysian politics to start a threat perhaps? But do feel free to move my post over and start a thread on the coming election and related issues Baked Bean, if you wish. Come to think of it perhaps not a bad idea to get a few other topics going that are of consequence to the nation?

Yes this election promises to be the most interesting since independence. The ruling Barisan Nasional appear a little rattled. No bad thing although some fear a loss of the continunity.

ErikThe Red Oct 15th 2011 2:15 am

I think this forum would be a great place to discuss 'matters political' in Malaysia in the run-up to the next General Election.

With one party/coalition in control for 57 years, surely it's time for a change?

Am I being contentious?

What are your thoughts on this matter?

the troubadour Oct 15th 2011 5:20 am

Originally Posted by ErikThe Red (Post 9675782)
I think this forum would be a great place to discuss 'matters political' in Malaysia in the run-up to the next General Election.

With one party/coalition in control for 57 years, surely it's time for a change?

Am I being contentious?

What are your thoughts on this matter?

My thoughts are that it is time to have a more open and more democratic government in Malaysia.
Allow the people to protest and do away with the present very strict laws some which appear to be in the process of being possibly done away with anyway. What's the latsest on thje rights of assembly and the putting down of the dreaded ISA, anybody know?

There was a time especially after the 69 race riots when a firm hand could be justified in order to prevent the nation being torn apart by racial unrest.
But with the advancement of the Malay over recent decades due in a large part to government policies favouring Bumiputras at the cost to Chinese and Indians there are strong arguements for complete equality in all areas which I believe is already more the case.
Others may have the latest updates with regards that position.
If the ruling Barisan Nasional is not defeated I do hope the results at least make for a far more diverse parliment that challenges and keeps the government more on their toes.

ex reg Oct 15th 2011 7:22 am

My view.
If you want to discuss politics in depth then find another forum.

Strider24 Oct 15th 2011 8:43 am

I'm with you ex Reg:thumbup:

bakedbean Oct 15th 2011 8:51 am

Strider!!!! I was just thinking about you today. Are you back in the land of the living?

Re: politics. I'm leaving it up to the powers that be on here to decide if they want to split out the political bits to a new thread. I won't be joining in. This lovely country has given me a long term visa to live here till I leave the planet, and I know which side my bread is buttered :thumbup:

the troubadour Oct 15th 2011 12:54 pm

Politics may well decide if foreigners continue to be welcome anyway. What is in place now can just as easily be lost by a change of policy somewhere down the line.
No one can say how future events may fan out regardless if they take any interest in politics or not.

Sue Oct 17th 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Malaysian Politics

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 9643565)
Thought about doing a thread on such matters but as it is more lighter banter on BE decided it not to be the appropriate forum.

Yep, nothing wrong with starting threads on other topics .. this is a Discussion forum after all :)

So I've taken the liberty of moving a few posts on this topic into their own thread ..... so discuss away :D

Cpt_Jack Oct 18th 2011 10:42 am

My two sen? As a local freind of mine said the opposition have become very good at opposing and the ruling party have become very good at answering to them. Neither party is actually very good at running the country.

We all know that the opposition is run by the guy that was thrown out of the ruling party and is thus sour which makes the elections basically clan fights. We also know that in the run up to elections we will see a mass spending as the ruling party try to win some extra votes. Finally, we all know that most Malaysians will just go 'whatever lah' and not bother voting becuase it's not gonna change a thing. Or if they do vote, it'll be along racial lines as usual.

Can't blame them really! I'm sure the Monster Raving Loony party would do great here.

That said, at least they finally got round to removing that damn ISA. I think Malaysia will improve over time but frankly, it's still a baby at only 57 years young. I mean, Europe is only just getting the hang of it, the US still struggles after 200 odd years so what do you expect? And really, is all this political crap any worse than what we see in the UK?

Plus Malaysia isn't really that bad when you look at all the other places you could have settled. The people are nice, it's pretty safe and if you don't push to much. If you need a doctor you'll get one, if you get pulled over by the police you won't end up bound and gagged in a cell, no one disappears from their beds at night, you can eat, you can drink and you can do an awful lot that most people in the world can't.

Granted if you try and organize a protest asking for transparent democracy then the government will shut down the capital and ruin everyone's weekends (thanks so much Berish!). But again, could be worse, look at Libya.

Relax lah!

Time for a blog post methinks ;-)

Jack

TopHattedCat Oct 18th 2011 3:43 pm

I've worked & visited a lot of places in the world & imho Malaysia is a fantastic place to live, it is safe, the food's great, the people are friendly & it is a lot warmer than those dreadful European winters.

In fact I feel so passionate about Malaysia I even created a website to promote everything that is good about Malaysia!

As for politics, I have no interest.

Cpt_Jack Oct 18th 2011 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by TopHattedCat (Post 9681786)
I've worked & visited a lot of places in the world & imho Malaysia is a fantastic place to live, it is safe, the food's great, the people are friendly & it is a lot warmer than those dreadful European winters.

In fact I feel so passionate about Malaysia I even created a website to promote everything that is good about Malaysia!

As for politics, I have no interest.

Agree with all of the above.

And love the site, couldn't force myself to pick a 'best cuisine' though... feel it would be blasphemy ;-) I'd be happy to contribute some stuff sometime, I've done the occasional review for my site when I was in the UAE and look to do some for here.

TopHattedCat Oct 18th 2011 7:25 pm

H Cpt_Jack,

Thank you for thise kind words. I just browsed through your site again for the second time.

wrt.....your on/off blogging you should make the effort as you are a good writer, and yes, I would welcome any contribution you would care to give, especially so as the vast majority of my reviews are from the betul nut island where I reside.

reverse_cultural_shock Oct 18th 2011 7:37 pm

what would be the purpose of such a thread (Malaysian Politics) ?

to be educated on Malaysian politics ?
>there are more than enough sites/forums/blogs on malaysian politics already. take your pick.

to participate ?
>expats are not supposed to be involved in local politics, as a general rule. this is for the sake of peace and harmony.

to attract attention / traffic
>politics would be an excellent way.

to express yourself ( freedom of expression )
>yes, but there is a price fo this freedom, so it ain't really free.

so i think i am not interested to read about Malaysian politics here.

just my 2p worth;

bakedbean Oct 19th 2011 2:45 am

Originally Posted by reverse_cultural_shock (Post 9682299)
to participate ?
>expats are not supposed to be involved in local politics, as a general rule. this is for the sake of peace and harmony.

Exactly... very well put :thumbup: And I think most of the expats living in Malaysia who post on this board would agree with you.

the troubadour Oct 20th 2011 7:04 am

Originally Posted by ex reg (Post 9675992)
My view.
If you want to discuss politics in depth then find another forum.

I don't think a few reflections equate a discussion of politics in depth. Besides some folk have an interest in possible outcomes in a country they are considering investing and growing old in.

the troubadour Oct 20th 2011 7:28 am

Originally Posted by reverse_cultural_shock (Post 9682299)
what would be the purpose of such a thread (Malaysian Politics) ?

to be educated on Malaysian politics ?
>there are more than enough sites/forums/blogs on malaysian politics already. take your pick.

to participate ?

to attract attention / traffic
>politics would be an excellent way.

to express yourself ( freedom of expression )
>yes, but there is a price fo this freedom, so it ain't really free.

so i think i am not interested to read about Malaysian politics here.

just my 2p worth;

None of the above. But perhaps a little knowledge about the politics goes with understanding the nation as it is today.
For the record I think Malaysian politics has matured greatly over the years and continues to evolve. There is little doubt Malaysia is a fine country to live and the people are extremely pleasant.
Some folk may take a wider interest perhaps in a country that they may see out their days in and politics are part of the understanding of an adopted nation just as the history and language, as well as food and customs are.
Interesting how on another forum on Thailand how expats constantly rubbish the government and things Thai in general in what I would call rather excessive terms with little regards for any consquences.

the troubadour Oct 20th 2011 7:32 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 9682916)
Exactly... very well put :thumbup: And I think most of the expats living in Malaysia who post on this board would agree with you.

I think it has been suggested that expats should get involved in local politics.Of course getting involved and observing and commenting on what's going on around the country one is living in is rather far removed is it not?

reverse_cultural_shock Oct 20th 2011 9:27 am

i think there is a fine line between observing, commenting and getting involved.

personally, as a malaysian, i would love to hear political opinions from non-natives. what i am saying is that i prefer not to hear them here, on this site, if i can help. if there is a site or forum devoted to just that, it would be interesting to see how local events are viewed from other cultures.

still, i am not "religiously" against it :) i think we humans are all connected, and so i actually welcome alternative views. it is just that i think politics is plain stupid at times, and so a dose of it from a political site ought to be enough for one day.

and anyway, i can always refrain from joining the political forum, so it's no big issue. go on then.

bakedbean Oct 20th 2011 9:57 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 9685205)
I think it has been suggested that expats should get involved in local politics.

Err where did you read that? Link please.

Y'know... I'm a seasoned expat now. That's what I am and it's okay. Some folks like to pretend they're local and part of it. I was the same when I first moved to Singapore... but it does dawn on you eventually that you are not part of the country. Why would you be? You're a foreigner. And the politics has nothing to do with me. In Malaysia, it's for Malaysians to discuss and partake in. They're the ones who can make a difference.

Looking at it in a different way... if I was back in the UK my so called "homeland" (unlikely) I would be pretty p1ssed off if I heard foreign expats living there on a visa, chiming in about the UK politics. None of their business either.

But... that's just my opinion.... and as Sue has pointed out, there's nothing wrong with anyone on here discussing if they really want to. It's a discussion forum :)

bakedbean Oct 20th 2011 9:59 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 9685197)
Interesting how on another forum on Thailand how expats constantly rubbish the government and things Thai in general in what I would call rather excessive terms with little regards for any consquences.

Not so long ago, one certain forum administrator got arrested for what others put on that forum (in Thailand) :rolleyes: Who'd be an administrator eh? Not in Thailand anyhow.

reverse_cultural_shock Oct 20th 2011 1:04 pm

or to put it another way, if i wish to apply for work permit in UK as a professional, and i advertise my services in a "MalaysianExpat" website, i really would'nt want my fellow countrymen shooting his mouth off on his opinion about how inefficient or unfair the UK government is in that forum.

it might delay my work permit for a bit. and for that i would not be grateful to that fellow countrymen. especially so if i am already in the UK on a holliday.

Strider24 Oct 20th 2011 1:17 pm

The beauty of being an expat is you have effectively escaped the politics back home and even if interested in Malaysian politics you can't vote so why bother. :pLets enjoy being ignorant and get fat on great Malaysian food I say:thumbsup:

Cpt_Jack Oct 20th 2011 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by TopHattedCat (Post 9682269)
H Cpt_Jack,

Thank you for thise kind words. I just browsed through your site again for the second time.

wrt.....your on/off blogging you should make the effort as you are a good writer, and yes, I would welcome any contribution you would care to give, especially so as the vast majority of my reviews are from the betul nut island where I reside.

Thanks, I'm glad someone reads it at least! I do try to write a bit and I got back into blogging because people asked me too though this week my internet has been patchy so no updates. Anyway, if you have any specifics that you'd like me to review (general concepts are good) then let me know. I've got some Indonesian guests coming over shortly, I'll see if I can squeeze something out of that.

Back on topic...

I think that ex-pats do have every 'right' to talk about the country they live in *but* I don't think we should badmouth it. I get defensive of people talking down about the NHS for example so I understand why people get annoyed. After all, we don't have to be here right? It's never going to be a 'western' country or the UK and why should it be?

We can and should however offer constructive criticism from our 'outsiders' view point. I for example wrote about the recent farce that Indonesia and Malaysia are having over their border. It has now got to laughable levels of stupidity and is starting to look like a sit-com, and not a good one either. I got people from both sides saying 'yes, well put' and thanking me for the contribution to the debate.

We can give insight that maybe 'locals' can't give becuase we come from a 'sterile' viewpoint and are untainted by being born here. For example a freind of mine has a bit of a thing against 'Chinese' Malaysians due to there upbringing, we all get these little things from our parents. And again to repeat what has been said to not contribute removes us from the country we reside in which is not good.

But all in all as everyone seems to be saying, Malaysia is pretty good and as the troubadour said it has evolved greatly in 57 years. I've got few complaints and those that I have are in line with most locals.

reverse_cultural_shock Oct 20th 2011 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Cpt_Jack (Post 9686495)
I for example wrote about the recent farce that Indonesia and Malaysia are having over their border.

that is perhaps not Malaysian politics. more like ASEAN politics.

the troubadour Oct 21st 2011 1:59 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 9685397)
Err where did you read that? Link please.

Y'know... I'm a seasoned expat now. That's what I am and it's okay. Some folks like to pretend they're local and part of it. I was the same when I first moved to Singapore... but it does dawn on you eventually that you are not part of the country. Why would you be? You're a foreigner. And the politics has nothing to do with me. In Malaysia, it's for Malaysians to discuss and partake in. They're the ones who can make a difference.

Looking at it in a different way... if I was back in the UK my so called "homeland" (unlikely) I would be pretty p1ssed off if I heard foreign expats living there on a visa, chiming in about the UK politics. None of their business either.

But... that's just my opinion.... and as Sue has pointed out, there's nothing wrong with anyone on here discussing if they really want to. It's a discussion forum :)

That was a typing error. Should have read........It has NOT been suggested.....Not sure people are getting a handle on what is being referred to here. It is not running for local politics or anything remotely similar.(as has happened in other parts of the world)
Politics may or may not have something to do with the country we decide to settle,especially when several possible options need to be withered down to a final choice.
I have for example met a person who clearly proclaimed that they would never live in a country that has the death penality on its books.
That strikes me as a rather political stance. I can actually think of a few countries around the world where folk unaware or more likely indifferent to the politics and history of the land they invested in look likely to have cost them their houses. Place being referred to here being of course Northern Cyprus.
Nothing similar to Malaysia but as the colonial days are long gone and potential incomers (in place of expats) may wish to have an understanding of a place to assist making a choice.
Others of course may decide to live far away from the ex pat bubbles that can to a induce a totally different perception from mixing with almost purely locals who do discuss issues around them.
As for using the UK analogy well if a foreigner comes to live in the UK one would have thought it would be in their own interests to familiarize themselves with the local scene. Doesn't mean that they'll run for mayor though.
But i would be a little more concerned perhaps that it does sound like a complaint was made for the administrator to become involved.

Politics actually is far down the list of my concerns as a day to day thing but can be difficult to avoid in its entirety so why such a fuss?
Avoid the thread would be rather easy would it not?

the troubadour Oct 21st 2011 6:19 am

Originally Posted by reverse_cultural_shock (Post 9685344)
i think there is a fine line between observing, commenting and getting involved.

personally, as a malaysian, i would love to hear political opinions from non-natives. what i am saying is that i prefer not to hear them here, on this site, if i can help. if there is a site or forum devoted to just that, it would be interesting to see how local events are viewed from other cultures.

still, i am not "religiously" against it :) i think we humans are all connected, and so i actually welcome alternative views. it is just that i think politics is plain stupid at times, and so a dose of it from a political site ought to be enough for one day.

and anyway, i can always refrain from joining the political forum, so it's no big issue. go on then.

Just wonder if there is a particular reason why you would not want political discussion on this site while others are okay?
Easy enough to ignore the threat if not of interest as you stated.

the troubadour Oct 21st 2011 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Cpt_Jack (Post 9686495)

I think that ex-pats do have every 'right' to talk about the country they live in *but* I don't think we should badmouth it. I get defensive of people talking down about the NHS for example so I understand why people get annoyed. After all, we don't have to be here right? It's never going to be a 'western' country or the UK and why should it be?

We can and should however offer constructive criticism from our 'outsiders' view point. I for example wrote about the recent farce that Indonesia and Malaysia are having over their border. It has now got to laughable levels of stupidity and is starting to look like a sit-com, and not a good one either. I got people from both sides saying 'yes, well put' and thanking me for the contribution to the debate.

We can give insight that maybe 'locals' can't give becuase we come from a 'sterile' viewpoint and are untainted by being born here. For example a freind of mine has a bit of a thing against 'Chinese' Malaysians due to there upbringing, we all get these little things from our parents. And again to repeat what has been said to not contribute removes us from the country we reside in which is not good.

But all in all as everyone seems to be saying, Malaysia is pretty good and as the troubadour said it has evolved greatly in 57 years. I've got few complaints and those that I have are in line with most locals.

Fully agree. Some sense finally. You know it would make me highly suspect of any country where ex pats shy away from discussion of a political nature. Almost sounds as if they are in fear of having their status removed.
I fully agree with the bad mouthing bit. Must admit I am rather horrified by the racist comments at times made on another forum from folk living in Thailand.
Your NHS analogy is sound in itself but a person who experiences a less than pleasant outcome has ever right to voice that in my opinion.Regardless of immigration status.
I know I have concerns here in Australia with certain issues around this subject but that's for another forum.

Now what is more interesting is what you write with regards to the across the Malaysian/Indonesian borders. I am unsure of what you refer to here.
At least it has not got anywhere near the farce that is happening on the Thailand/Cambodia border.

Indeed we are in agreement Malaysia is a pretty decent country to live. I am not so up on the latest but having lived a period of my life there in a non expat enviroment do lay some claim to having a certain knowledge of conditions there.

the troubadour Oct 21st 2011 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Strider24 (Post 9685791)
The beauty of being an expat is you have effectively escaped the politics back home and even if interested in Malaysian politics you can't vote so why bother. :pLets enjoy being ignorant and get fat on great Malaysian food I say:thumbsup:

Some my choose the path of ignorance that is the individuals free choice. Meanwhile others may like to have an understanding with regards to what is happening in their adopted homeland.

the troubadour Oct 21st 2011 7:15 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 9685401)
Not so long ago, one certain forum administrator got arrested for what others put on that forum (in Thailand) :rolleyes: Who'd be an administrator eh? Not in Thailand anyhow.

The thread i'm thinking of is still going full throttle. Do find it vile at times but it certainly supports the theme of freedom of speech.