British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Malaysian Politics (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/malaysian-politics-735946/)

the troubadour Sep 27th 2011 4:42 am

Malaysian Politics

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 9643532)
Yes it could be age.

Language-wise, certainly more people speak English here in Penang than we ever found in Thailand, though not everyone.

Generally, we're finding the banks good and welcoming, which is not always the case in Thailand. Some banks there cannot be bothered with foreigners it seems.

Laws and police... ah... no comment.

I meant in the non interference towards foreigners. To my awareness the police do not attempt to solicit bribes in the same way neighbouring countries tend to do.
Malaysia has in place very repressive laws which probably most who reside there would be aware of.
Thankfully the ruling party since 57 independence, Barisan Nasional appear to be struggling somewhat.
In turn it looks like they will do away with the dreaded Internal Security Act which has made any challenge to the status quo a little dangerous.
I was living there when the then leader of the mostly Chinese DAP party was locked up for sedition, I think the charge was.
Even talk of amending the licensing laws in connection to the requirements of the Printing Press & Publications Law.
This law ensures a very tame and controlled not to say boring press.

Question will be what the replacement acts will look like. It has as I understand be decided not to allow street demonstrations. Not sure if detention without trial for certain offences will be repelled either.
We can be fairly confident that certain rights abusing powers will remain in the books.
Doesn't for the moment really have much impact on Mat Sallehs living in Malaysia though. Of course this could well change if Pan Islamics ever came to power ....
Thought about doing a thread on such matters but as it is more lighter banter on BE decided it not to be the appropriate forum.

bakedbean Sep 27th 2011 6:12 am

Re: Why Retire in Malaysia?

Just had a scour through the Site Rules (top right on the pink banner). I don't see why you cannot do a thread if you wish. As far as I can interpret, as long as you're not deliberately trying to upset anyone, it's okay. We can do religion on here. We've just had a very lively discussion in the main Far East forum about Buddhism. Not sure how many pages it's running to now. It's gone on a bit :D

Be interesting to see how the election goes here in Malaysia when it finally happens.

the troubadour Sep 27th 2011 7:30 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 9643620)
Just had a scour through the Site Rules (top right on the pink banner). I don't see why you cannot do a thread if you wish. As far as I can interpret, as long as you're not deliberately trying to upset anyone, it's okay. We can do religion on here. We've just had a very lively discussion in the main Far East forum about Buddhism. Not sure how many pages it's running to now. It's gone on a bit :D

Be interesting to see how the election goes here in Malaysia when it finally happens.

I was thinking more in the line of perhaps not much interest on the subject of Malaysian politics to start a threat perhaps? But do feel free to move my post over and start a thread on the coming election and related issues Baked Bean, if you wish. Come to think of it perhaps not a bad idea to get a few other topics going that are of consequence to the nation?

Yes this election promises to be the most interesting since independence. The ruling Barisan Nasional appear a little rattled. No bad thing although some fear a loss of the continunity.

ErikThe Red Oct 15th 2011 2:15 am

I think this forum would be a great place to discuss 'matters political' in Malaysia in the run-up to the next General Election.

With one party/coalition in control for 57 years, surely it's time for a change?

Am I being contentious?

What are your thoughts on this matter?

the troubadour Oct 15th 2011 5:20 am

Originally Posted by ErikThe Red (Post 9675782)
I think this forum would be a great place to discuss 'matters political' in Malaysia in the run-up to the next General Election.

With one party/coalition in control for 57 years, surely it's time for a change?

Am I being contentious?

What are your thoughts on this matter?

My thoughts are that it is time to have a more open and more democratic government in Malaysia.
Allow the people to protest and do away with the present very strict laws some which appear to be in the process of being possibly done away with anyway. What's the latsest on thje rights of assembly and the putting down of the dreaded ISA, anybody know?

There was a time especially after the 69 race riots when a firm hand could be justified in order to prevent the nation being torn apart by racial unrest.
But with the advancement of the Malay over recent decades due in a large part to government policies favouring Bumiputras at the cost to Chinese and Indians there are strong arguements for complete equality in all areas which I believe is already more the case.
Others may have the latest updates with regards that position.
If the ruling Barisan Nasional is not defeated I do hope the results at least make for a far more diverse parliment that challenges and keeps the government more on their toes.

ex reg Oct 15th 2011 7:22 am

My view.
If you want to discuss politics in depth then find another forum.

Strider24 Oct 15th 2011 8:43 am

I'm with you ex Reg:thumbup:

bakedbean Oct 15th 2011 8:51 am

Strider!!!! I was just thinking about you today. Are you back in the land of the living?

Re: politics. I'm leaving it up to the powers that be on here to decide if they want to split out the political bits to a new thread. I won't be joining in. This lovely country has given me a long term visa to live here till I leave the planet, and I know which side my bread is buttered :thumbup:

the troubadour Oct 15th 2011 12:54 pm

Politics may well decide if foreigners continue to be welcome anyway. What is in place now can just as easily be lost by a change of policy somewhere down the line.
No one can say how future events may fan out regardless if they take any interest in politics or not.

Sue Oct 17th 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Malaysian Politics

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 9643565)
Thought about doing a thread on such matters but as it is more lighter banter on BE decided it not to be the appropriate forum.

Yep, nothing wrong with starting threads on other topics .. this is a Discussion forum after all :)

So I've taken the liberty of moving a few posts on this topic into their own thread ..... so discuss away :D

Cpt_Jack Oct 18th 2011 10:42 am

My two sen? As a local freind of mine said the opposition have become very good at opposing and the ruling party have become very good at answering to them. Neither party is actually very good at running the country.

We all know that the opposition is run by the guy that was thrown out of the ruling party and is thus sour which makes the elections basically clan fights. We also know that in the run up to elections we will see a mass spending as the ruling party try to win some extra votes. Finally, we all know that most Malaysians will just go 'whatever lah' and not bother voting becuase it's not gonna change a thing. Or if they do vote, it'll be along racial lines as usual.

Can't blame them really! I'm sure the Monster Raving Loony party would do great here.

That said, at least they finally got round to removing that damn ISA. I think Malaysia will improve over time but frankly, it's still a baby at only 57 years young. I mean, Europe is only just getting the hang of it, the US still struggles after 200 odd years so what do you expect? And really, is all this political crap any worse than what we see in the UK?

Plus Malaysia isn't really that bad when you look at all the other places you could have settled. The people are nice, it's pretty safe and if you don't push to much. If you need a doctor you'll get one, if you get pulled over by the police you won't end up bound and gagged in a cell, no one disappears from their beds at night, you can eat, you can drink and you can do an awful lot that most people in the world can't.

Granted if you try and organize a protest asking for transparent democracy then the government will shut down the capital and ruin everyone's weekends (thanks so much Berish!). But again, could be worse, look at Libya.

Relax lah!

Time for a blog post methinks ;-)

Jack

TopHattedCat Oct 18th 2011 3:43 pm

I've worked & visited a lot of places in the world & imho Malaysia is a fantastic place to live, it is safe, the food's great, the people are friendly & it is a lot warmer than those dreadful European winters.

In fact I feel so passionate about Malaysia I even created a website to promote everything that is good about Malaysia!

As for politics, I have no interest.

Cpt_Jack Oct 18th 2011 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by TopHattedCat (Post 9681786)
I've worked & visited a lot of places in the world & imho Malaysia is a fantastic place to live, it is safe, the food's great, the people are friendly & it is a lot warmer than those dreadful European winters.

In fact I feel so passionate about Malaysia I even created a website to promote everything that is good about Malaysia!

As for politics, I have no interest.

Agree with all of the above.

And love the site, couldn't force myself to pick a 'best cuisine' though... feel it would be blasphemy ;-) I'd be happy to contribute some stuff sometime, I've done the occasional review for my site when I was in the UAE and look to do some for here.

TopHattedCat Oct 18th 2011 7:25 pm

H Cpt_Jack,

Thank you for thise kind words. I just browsed through your site again for the second time.

wrt.....your on/off blogging you should make the effort as you are a good writer, and yes, I would welcome any contribution you would care to give, especially so as the vast majority of my reviews are from the betul nut island where I reside.

reverse_cultural_shock Oct 18th 2011 7:37 pm

what would be the purpose of such a thread (Malaysian Politics) ?

to be educated on Malaysian politics ?
>there are more than enough sites/forums/blogs on malaysian politics already. take your pick.

to participate ?
>expats are not supposed to be involved in local politics, as a general rule. this is for the sake of peace and harmony.

to attract attention / traffic
>politics would be an excellent way.

to express yourself ( freedom of expression )
>yes, but there is a price fo this freedom, so it ain't really free.

so i think i am not interested to read about Malaysian politics here.

just my 2p worth;