British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Malaysia Taking Over the UK! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/malaysia-taking-over-uk-783882/)

abdulawwal Jan 15th 2013 12:35 pm

Malaysia Taking Over the UK!

Very interesting. A record broken too!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...just-days.html

Abdul

bakedbean Jan 16th 2013 6:53 am

Re: Malaysia Taking Over the UK!

I couldn't see the bit about Malaysians. Maybe I need new specs. So Malaysians snapping up UK properties? Well not so surprised. There seems to be a lot of money sloshing around over here. Low income taxes helps.

abdulawwal Jan 17th 2013 5:31 am

The developers who took over the Battersea Plant are Sime Darby and Setia! Malaysians!

bakedbean Jan 17th 2013 8:40 am

Oh I see..... I missed that.

Nemodot Jan 20th 2013 7:06 am

World is moving East. indian/Asian countries are buying UK companies. Middle East and China "own" USA now with loans. The west is in decline especially with Great depression 2.0 underway (Historians will call it that as politicians keeping hamming up the economy - look at the numbers terrible)

Soon it will be the East turning away western refugees!

the troubadour Jan 20th 2013 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Nemodot (Post 10494106)
World is moving East. indian/Asian countries are buying UK companies. Middle East and China "own" USA now with loans. The west is in decline especially with Great depression 2.0 underway (Historians will call it that as politicians keeping hamming up the economy - look at the numbers terrible)

Still plenty of Asians moving over to OZ. New neighbours ethnic Indian from KL.........

ajw Jan 20th 2013 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Nemodot (Post 10494106)

---- Not until the people in the East develop Western skillsets on a mass scale. Not even close yet.

Nemodot Jan 20th 2013 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by ajw (Post 10494381)
---- Not until the people in the East develop Western skillsets on a mass scale. Not even close yet.

Like being lazy scum, self centred, neurotic and "oh my god I need Prozac my latte is cold" attitude! Western kids are lazy useless at work and seen it the city of London. By 2017 hk and Singapore will have more financial jobs that new York and London. 15 years ago only white people worked in the city (and I mean white) now mostly Asian staff as they work harder and are more loyal.

Before 2030 china will be worlds biggest economy and the west crippled by unemployment and the UK Europe by civil strife and even civil war (break down of benefit systems - currently 6 million workers in UK don't work and live off benefits and 17% of children grow up with neither parent working). With say 10 million starving "I want it all" unemployed rioting in 2020 say social order will break down in UK. Police and army on the streets shooting people causing economic disaster as the minority educated elite run for Asia. People on the west will have to cope with large aging populations and no economic growth. I can see many bad ways it can end and not many good ways!

Meanwhile in the east with economic growth and a young population things look better. With an influx of the elite from the west on the run from high taxes, social disorder and zombie economics Asia will become economic, intellectual and creative powerhouses.

ajw Jan 20th 2013 10:40 pm

[QUOTE=Asia will become economic, intellectual and creative powerhouses.[/QUOTE]

Enormous potential and some Asian countries are better placed than others to drive this but there are still some huge hurdles to overcome first. China is obviously looking to evolve from a process driven economy into a smart one, this means innovating in their own right rather than relying on replicating what has been developed in the West. It's a common story for businesses to set up in China, only to have their IP stolen before they are shipped out again.

There is still a huge problem of how people are educated without being taught how to think creatively, analyse and problem solve. Its easy to hire someone who can follow a set of instructions but much harder to find someone who will show initiative. This may be more prevalent in some Asian countries than others.

If we're going to talk about laziness, the examples I see on a daily basis in Malaysia take my breath away!

jonboy Jan 21st 2013 1:56 am

Originally Posted by ajw (Post 10494381)

They are learning these so called skill sets; "think creatively, analyse and problem solve." These skill sets are not unique to the west nor are other qualities unique to the west such as honesty or diligence!
I believe the west is losing ground rapidly to China and South East Asia. I also think that events such as the libor rate fixing leave us looking pretty shabby in the eyes of the world. I think back over the past 30+ years of visiting Malaysia and see the advances it has made and I am pleased for them. Having said all that there are dire issues re politics and law but you can't have it all. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...lies/smile.gif

jonboy Jan 21st 2013 1:59 am

Lazy beggars everywhere, even me smiley won't smile!