Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Highly regarded for retirees.

Malaysia Highly regarded for retirees.

Old Jan 25th 2018, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Malaysia Highly regarded for retirees.

International Living February Edition has an article on retiring in Malaysia.
Might be interesting to compare the report to the facts as seen by current expats in Malaysia.

"And for me—and many happy expats—Malaysia is the easiest retirement haven in Asia today. If you’re looking for luxurious living, friendly communities of ready-made friends, and loads to do and see, then Malaysia is perfect."
Old Jan 27th 2018, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Malaysia Highly regarded for retirees.

I don't know about the "ready-made friends"...my 3-D digital printer is down.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

ssoomro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RedApe
I don't know about the "ready-made friends"...my 3-D digital printer is down.
Red.. I have to agree with Davit here.. i am well traveled and i find making friends in South East Asia .. especially in Malaysia and Indonesia .. is sooo damn easy i have stopped trying .. .. ppl here are generally deferential to foreigners and very helpful.. unlike my experience in vietnam.. there are no language barriers and general distrust..

The easiest way to make friends is to break bread together.. try joining a malay family in restaurant.. you will find them to be welcoming and surprisingly pleasant ppl....

All the best..
Old Feb 6th 2018, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

I simply meant that you would not be supplied with "friends"...that it's not "ready made" like some college dorm or cultish church group where you are assigned a "handler". But I agree in the main...it's easy to make acquaintances which can evolve into friendships. Increasingly there are lots of clubs and NGO's throughout the country where one can join up with people into the same activities.

And the quote is from the Magazine "International Living"...maybe Davita agrees with it, maybe not. I "largely" agree with it's gist.

"And for me—and many happy expats—Malaysia is the easiest retirement haven in Asia today. If you’re looking for luxurious living, friendly communities of ready-made friends, and loads to do and see, then Malaysia is perfect."

Last edited by RedApe; Feb 6th 2018 at 4:35 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

BTW HSBC's Expat Explorer Survey is out. Singapore ranks #1, Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia all came in together at #24-#26. Interesting. This isn't a retirement survey, but includes all sorts of elements of Expat experience.

https://www.expatexplorer.hsbc.com/survey/

HSBC: Expats ride on Asia growth with Malaysia a place to settle – BorneoPost Online | Borneo , Malaysia, Sarawak Daily News | Largest English Daily In Borneo
Old Feb 6th 2018, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

AyaaaH! Hey Guys...I don't live in Malaysia...I'm in Bali and I only posted to get your opinions not to spread mine....as I said in my post #1.

I thought it interesting that Malaysia has, at last, been seen in such magazines which are normally dominated by retirees spots other than in Asia.