British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Love Wine? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/love-wine-859023/)

JC3 May 27th 2015 6:39 am

Love Wine?

Well, better late than never!

JC3

BEVS May 27th 2015 6:51 am

Re: Love Wine?

Now you're talking

:drinkwine:

JC3 May 27th 2015 6:51 am

In Penang, I recommend 'The Wine Shop' in Pulau Tikus, that carries about 900 labels. Cheese there too!
www.facebook.com/TWSPG/info?tab=page_info

Usually I buy plonk from Cold Storage that has quite a good range.

Also there's a relatively new wine shop in the basement of Gurney Paragon opposite Sam's Groceria, called 16 Degree. Cigars there too.

JC3

InVinoVeritas May 27th 2015 6:57 am

Maybe a Food and Drink sticky with these three threads would be a good idea?

bakedbean May 27th 2015 7:05 am

Yeh this is a good subject :drinkingwine:

I started a Wine deliveries in Penang thread way back when.... here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/malay...penang-844688/
though it didn't really get going.

bakedbean May 27th 2015 7:08 am

Originally Posted by JC3 (Post 11657799)
In Penang, I recommend 'The Wine Shop' in Pulau Tikus, that carries about 900 labels. Cheese there too!
www.facebook.com/TWSPG/info?tab=page_info

Usually I buy plonk from Cold Storage that has quite a good range.

Also there's a relatively new wine shop in the basement of Gurney Paragon opposite Sam's Groceria, called 16 Degree. Cigars there too.

JC3

JC3, do you actually go to The Wine Shop, or get deliveries? I should point out that (if you didn't already know) that I am a cheapskate and will get the cheapest "decent" white wine going. Having said that, I will not stoop as low as the dreaded Table Wine.

Someone told me that The Wine Shop is doing some bargains for around RM 29 a bottle. But you can never find these on the website :sneaky: Can you get these delivered, do you know?

And talking of Cold Storage...have you noticed how much the prices have increased in there lately. Holy moly I'm now having to pay around RM 40 a bottle :thumbdown: which is quite upsetting.

PoolieAbroad May 27th 2015 8:01 am

A drop of half decent plonk can be purchased at Aeon, Giant and Tesco in these parts.
Just have to look for a decent bottle or two and grab them when they are on offer.
Some of the 3 fors and 2 fors deals can be drinkable but that tends to be the best you can say about them. Brilliant for cooking mind you!
There is often a good deal on something called Bleu and its in a blue bottle ( logic eh?) of 1.5l so effectively a double bottle, comes with a couple of free glasses and is quite acceptable.
88RM if I remember correctly
d'Arenberg is a pretty good Australian Winery in my opinion of course.

:drinkwine::drinkingwine:

NeonHippy May 27th 2015 8:34 am

At last a topic dear to my heart. One immediate difficulty when you arrive in MY is that very few of the labels are familiar and I have no idea which to pick up. The obvious answer is to try them all but in the interest of protecting my liver some specific recommendations would be good in this thread. But to avoid another falling out as recently seen, let's all respect each others tastes and not get into an argument about which shiraz is the best.

To start the ball rolling can anyone recommend where I can get a decent Pinotage in Penang?

JC3 May 27th 2015 10:23 am

Originally Posted by NeonHippy (Post 11657887)
At last a topic dear to my heart. One immediate difficulty when you arrive in MY is that very few of the labels are familiar and I have no idea which to pick up.

Hi NeonHippy

I am no expert on wine, and would also be grateful for some pointers.

A fairly new place in Penang I've been meaning to try is a wine bar called George Town Wines on Lebuh Leith (roughly opposite The Blue Mansion). See: Georgetown Wines

That might be a good route to tasting a few. They may also do retail, I'm not sure. Anyone been there yet?

I think the restaurateur from Asiatique, Aldrien Moh, is over there now. If so, he seemed pretty knowledgeable to me.

JC3

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full there is clearly room for more wine.

Stuurman May 27th 2015 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 11657810)
JC3, do you actually go to The Wine Shop, or get deliveries? I should point out that (if you didn't already know) that I am a cheapskate and will get the cheapest "decent" white wine going. Having said that, I will not stoop as low as the dreaded Table Wine.

Someone told me that The Wine Shop is doing some bargains for around RM 29 a bottle. But you can never find these on the website :sneaky: Can you get these delivered, do you know?

And talking of Cold Storage...have you noticed how much the prices have increased in there lately. Holy moly I'm now having to pay around RM 40 a bottle :thumbdown: which is quite upsetting.

They do deliveries but it's a bit difficult to order by phone because their stock changes. I had very decent wine from them both red and white for 28 RM a bottle (excluding VAT). They have open bottles so you can taste the wine before you buy. If you find something nice buy plenty because there is a good chance they will be out of stock next time you want to order. We particular liked a Chilenean wine Claro. The Cabernet Sauvignon was very good for 28RM. I also bought the White, parents and sister in law liked but I never tried, I prefer red. Now I buy Spanish boxed wine, 790 baht for 4 litre ;)

bakedbean May 28th 2015 8:07 am

Thanks Mr Stuurman...very kind of you. Yeh, don't rub it in about the prices in Thailand. Do they still restrict in supermarkets when you can buy booze?

Stuurman May 28th 2015 8:11 am

They do but there are many other stores that sell all day.

JC3 Aug 5th 2015 11:38 am

Re: Love Wine? Half price Champagne

Half price Champagne

In Tesco Tanjung Tokong (Penang) today I picked up some Tesco Finest Premier Cru Brut for RM90 a bottle.

I think it’s old stock that has just past it’s “best before” date, i.e. more than ‘two years old’

I’ve not tried it yet – hope it’s good!

It looked liked there were a few spirits at 50% off too.

JC3

bakedbean Aug 5th 2015 11:32 pm

Re: Love Wine? Half price Champagne

Originally Posted by JC3 (Post 11716797)
I think it’s old stock that has just past it’s “best before” date, i.e. more than ‘two years old’

Better drink it quickly then :sneaky:

Goodness, that sounds like an extremely keen price for champagne.

Kirisuchina Aug 6th 2015 8:34 am

Originally Posted by NeonHippy (Post 11657887)
At last a topic dear to my heart. One immediate difficulty when you arrive in MY is that very few of the labels are familiar and I have no idea which to pick up. The obvious answer is to try them all but in the interest of protecting my liver some specific recommendations would be good in this thread. But to avoid another falling out as recently seen, let's all respect each others tastes and not get into an argument about which shiraz is the best.

To start the ball rolling can anyone recommend where I can get a decent Pinotage in Penang?

We like the Nederburg Pinotage, which is currently on sale at Cold Storage for 50 R