British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Looking at relocating to kl or penang any advice appreciated (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/looking-relocating-kl-penang-any-advice-appreciated-925676/)

Blakes Jun 12th 2019 9:42 am

Looking at relocating to kl or penang any advice appreciated

My husband, myself and our 12 year old daughter are looking at possibly relocating to Malaysia in a couple of years time, we currently live in North Cyprus and would like a change as not much here for our daughter. We are planning on a month's stay next summer to get a feel for different areas we may want to live. Any advice would be greatly appreciated ie are international schools better in Kl to penang and what sort of fees would we be looking at, cost of health insurance etc. Look forward to any advice

SushiFan Jun 14th 2019 7:42 am

Re: Looking at relocating to kl or penang any advice appreciated

Have you already investigated what kind of visa you would want to apply for?
I can't comment on international schools.
About medical insurance: the annual premium is based on your age. There are multiple insurance companies active on the Malaysian market. One example is AIA. Their online brochure has a table which shows how much you would have to pay: https://www.aia.com.my/content/dam/m...r-brochure.pdf (see the end of the document and find the appropriate table).
It makes sense to visit both KL and Penang before making a decision where to move to. These two places are very different in size and what they have to offer. In case you want to get an impression of the cost of renting or buying property you can take a look at websites such as propertyguru or iproperty (Google search for these).

Blakes Jun 14th 2019 8:20 am

Thank you for your reply we are planning on coming over next year for 4 weeks and travelling around to see if we get a feel for the place. Looking at a Retirement visa as husband will be 64 and I'll be 54 but we have a 13 year old so will do lots of research.

bakedbean Jun 14th 2019 10:31 am

There's a whole section on here about the retirement visa mm2h so have a good look at that also. Lots of info.
Sensible to take a look and spend some weeks in Malaysia see if you like or not.

SushiFan Jun 15th 2019 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Blakes (Post 12697964)
Thank you for your reply we are planning on coming over next year for 4 weeks and travelling around to see if we get a feel for the place. Looking at a Retirement visa as husband will be 64 and I'll be 54 but we have a 13 year old so will do lots of research.

Going for an MM2H visa would then be the most likely course of action. Government website about MM2H is here: Malaysia My Second Home Official Portal - MM2H Official Portal Although it is often referred to as a "retirement visa" it does not have an age restriction. And, as @bakedbean already mentioned, tons of information about it can be found on this forum.

RedApe Jun 16th 2019 4:15 am

Originally Posted by SushiFan (Post 12698416)
Going for an MM2H visa would then be the most likely course of action. Government website about MM2H is here: Malaysia My Second Home Official Portal - MM2H Official Portal Although it is often referred to as a "retirement visa" it does not have an age restriction. And, as @bakedbean already mentioned, tons of information about it can be found on this forum.

Sarawak is the only State in Malaysia that has an age restriction (50 and over). There are different income requirements on the Peninsula for those over 50 and those below, but you are on the sunnier side of that. The Peninsular MM2H is different enough from the Sarawak Program that they best be treated as distinct. Here are two links re. the current Sarawak MM2H program...though it is undergoing some review and revisions.
https://www.sarawak.gov.my/web/home/..._view/221/279/
https://mtacys.sarawak.gov.my/page-0...awak-MM2H.html

man from emas Jun 18th 2019 8:30 am

Personally can only comment on Penang to any depth wher ewe are, most expats in Penang live along the north coastal area, GeorgeTown to Batu Ferrighi, there are huge selection of condos, landed property to suit all tastes. There are excellent Supermarkets, all other shops, good hospitals. There are I think two major private schools for expat children, there is one also on the west side, but I think that's mainly boarders really not certain, they all have web sites. Penang has a good airport also, not fully international but flies to many regional countries. Penang obviously attracts a large proportion on retirees, being close to the sea it has a more holiday relaxed atmosphere.

I've visited KL countless times over many years, & many locations, but never lived there, either in hotels, or staying with friends, obviously unlimited number of accommodation all types, malls, hospitals, private schools etc. I cannot comment on known expat areas, I know one or two but would be wrong to suggest as there maybe several others better.

You may also consider your leisure time, any hobbies sports, etc you may wish to continue with, might help with your selection.

eCdD Jun 19th 2019 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Blakes (Post 12696922)
Any advice would be greatly appreciated ie are international schools better in Kl to penang and what sort of fees would we be looking at

Maybe you just have a look at the fees of International Schools in Malaysia first, could be your idea of moving here will disappear immediately.

Life in Malaysia is so much cheaper than in Europe.
Life in Malaysia with a kid at International School not.
Life in Malaysia with two kids at International School hahaha

OriginalSunshine Jun 20th 2019 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by eCdD (Post 12700279)
Maybe you just have a look at the fees of International Schools in Malaysia first, could be your idea of moving here will disappear immediately.

Life in Malaysia is so much cheaper than in Europe.
Life in Malaysia with a kid at International School not.
Life in Malaysia with two kids at International School hahaha

sotrue. In kl, my two kids school fees, bus fees, alone (so no activities, no uniform, no school trips, no supplies, no sports kit etc) costs total 16,000 RM per month

meched55 Jun 23rd 2019 10:42 am

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 12700674)

sotrue. In kl, my two kids school fees, bus fees, alone (so no activities, no uniform, no school trips, no supplies, no sports kit etc) costs total 16,000 RM per month

So that's $4000.00+ USD per month. $48000.00 a year.
That must be one heck of an international school? What's the name of that one?
Looks like I'll be retiring some place else other than Malaysia.
The international school is about my entire retirement income.
Most people don't even get half that. So mm2h is a REALLY not a deal if one has kids in school.

RedApe Jun 24th 2019 10:19 am

There are certainly some International Schools that are vastly cheaper than the above. Still a major expense...but that seems to be true almost everywhere.

Tunku Putra in Kuching, Sarawak is offering a 25% discount currently as they are trying to build student body for their expanded new campus...about US$4000/year (RM16,000) which is about 1/10th of the above. The above tuition fee does not include
Technology and Resource fees, books, uniforms, canteen food, field trips and extracurricular costs, and extramural exams. https://tphis.edu.my

meched55 Jun 24th 2019 1:52 pm

HI RA,
Link for looking for schools. Great place to for comparing finding schools.

International Schools in Selangor – Cyberjaya and Putrajaya | Education Destination Malaysia

OriginalSunshine Jun 25th 2019 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by meched55 (Post 12701617)
So that's $4000.00+ USD per month. $48000.00 a year.
That must be one heck of an international school? What's the name of that one?
Looks like I'll be retiring some place else other than Malaysia.
The international school is about my entire retirement income.
Most people don't even get half that. So mm2h is a REALLY not a deal if one has kids in school.

its for two kids, and is comparable to the cost of a private school in the uk, but cheaper than top tier UK private schools. It’s in KL, rather than Penang, Sabah or Sarawak, so the quality of the teachers, and facilities is better, because he cheaper schools attract cheaper teachers.....

im not retired, I work, so I need to earn enough. Malaysia is not cheap with children that cannot access state schooling.