British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   longer vist visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/longer-vist-visa-887974/)

inggris Nov 24th 2016 1:52 am

longer vist visa

If a traveler is not a visa-required national to Malaysia and is normally granted visa-free entry for 30 days, he/she wants to stay for 60 days (for example, mainly for tourism purpose), what kind of visa is recommended to apply for before flying to Malaysia (rather than traveling to a neighboring country before the first 30-day visa expires and getting the second 30-day visa by re-entering)?

InVinoVeritas Nov 24th 2016 2:15 am

Re: longer vist visa

As far as I know, you can't do it. You would have to leave and re-enter. Be aware that the penalty for overstays can be quite severe.

It would help to know your nationality as an APEC business card would allow you to stay 60 days.

IanBlakeley Dec 6th 2016 9:02 am

Immigration certainly have a social visit extension form, we were offered it due to a misunderstanding when we wanted the LTSVP forms. My understanding is that you can just rock up to your local immigration, fill in the form (may need to justify why) and get a 30 day extension for a small fee. Don't know how many times you can repeat the exercise.

I think this covers it Short Term Social Visit Pass may well be simpler to go out the country for a day or so and come back in.

inggris Dec 6th 2016 9:09 am

Originally Posted by IanBlakeley (Post 12122570)
Immigration certainly have a social visit extension form, we were offered it due to a misunderstanding when we wanted the LTSVP forms. My understanding is that you can just rock up to your local immigration, fill in the form (may need to justify why) and get a 30 day extension for a small fee. Don't know how many times you can repeat the exercise.

I think this covers it Short Term Social Visit Pass may well be simpler to go out the country for a day or so and come back in.

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12113243)
As far as I know, you can't do it. You would have to leave and re-enter. Be aware that the penalty for overstays can be quite severe.

It would help to know your nationality as an APEC business card would allow you to stay 60 days.

Thank you very much for your detailed replies. :goodpost:

Scratcher Dec 6th 2016 2:26 pm

Not knowing the nationality your question was refering, the visitor visa for UK citizens coming to Malaysia is for 90 days.

Scratcher

SushiFan Dec 7th 2016 7:37 am

This is what Malaysian Immigration has to say about it: Types of Visa
A single entry visa is generally valid for 3 months.

inggris Dec 7th 2016 7:54 am

Originally Posted by SushiFan (Post 12123448)
This is what Malaysian Immigration has to say about it: Types of Visa
A single entry visa is generally valid for 3 months.

Originally Posted by Scratcher (Post 12122798)
Not knowing the nationality your question was refering, the visitor visa for UK citizens coming to Malaysia is for 90 days.

Scratcher

Thank you very much for your useful information. :thumbsup:

rogerluli Jun 10th 2017 10:13 pm

We are an American couple considering spending 4 to 5 winter months in Malaysia annually. What are the options for staying longer than the 90 day visa allows ? Thanks in advance for any input...:D

IanBlakeley Jun 11th 2017 8:11 am

Originally Posted by rogerluli (Post 12270206)
We are an American couple considering spending 4 to 5 winter months in Malaysia annually. What are the options for staying longer than the 90 day visa allows ? Thanks in advance for any input...:D

There's the LTSVP but that's only available for the spouse of a Malaysian citizen as I understand it. Then there's MM2H which is a long term visa 10 years at a time, separate threads for both on this board which will explain them better.

The absolute simplest method if you're only doing it once is to go visit a neighbouring country near the end of the first 90 days, coming back resets the clock, however, as I understand it you can't keep doing this. Go shopping in Singapore or drive to Thailand are the simple options. If you then return to the US for say 6 months before coming back you'll be fine.

Gunnar45 Jun 11th 2017 12:34 pm

There shouldn't be any problems if one does one or two visa runs when one wants to stay longer in Malaysia. Just see that you stay out of Malaysia for a week or so.

rogerluli Jun 11th 2017 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by IanBlakeley (Post 12270351)
There's the LTSVP but that's only available for the spouse of a Malaysian citizen as I understand it. Then there's MM2H which is a long term visa 10 years at a time, separate threads for both on this board which will explain them better.

The absolute simplest method if you're only doing it once is to go visit a neighbouring country near the end of the first 90 days, coming back resets the clock, however, as I understand it you can't keep doing this. Go shopping in Singapore or drive to Thailand are the simple options. If you then return to the US for say 6 months before coming back you'll be fine.

So staying for say 88 days on a 90 day visa, and then being out of Malaysia for a week or so, and then returning we would get another 90 day stay ? After that we would return to the US for the summer...

rogerluli Jun 11th 2017 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Gunnar45 (Post 12270491)
There shouldn't be any problems if one does one or two visa runs when one wants to stay longer in Malaysia. Just see that you stay out of Malaysia for a week or so.

Sounds ideal...:thumbup:

SushiFan Jun 12th 2017 7:16 am

Originally Posted by rogerluli (Post 12270597)
So staying for say 88 days on a 90 day visa, and then being out of Malaysia for a week or so, and then returning we would get another 90 day stay ? After that we would return to the US for the summer...

Yes, that is a possibility.

Epicurious Jun 12th 2017 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by SushiFan (Post 12270989)
Yes, that is a possibility.

I'd say it's a racing certainty. Don't sweat it. I have experience.

Gunnar45 Jul 7th 2017 8:28 am

Regarding visa runs, the authorities seem to be tightening up about this!
I now know of a number of people who have had problems when returning to Malaysia from a short (1-3 weeks) trip out of the country!

It seems that especially the Penang immigration can be difficult, but it has also happened in KL. So, I wouldn't bet too much on that it is a certainty, even in Malaysia things change with time.