Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP or LTVP)

Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP or LTVP)

Old Jun 20th 2019, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP or LTVP)

Originally Posted by ChrisC1955
I had planned that my pension providers from the UK should transfer direct to a current account in Malaysia but perhaps transferwise would be easier and cheaper - worth investigating.
What you can do is open a Euro account (I guess they have GBP accounts also) at your local bank and transfer the money into this account. Certainly the sender will not bare the costs, but these costs are much more reasonable. And on the Malaysian side it is only a few ringgit.

Then you open a dual currency account and with this you can trade your GBP to MYR with much smaller loss.

But at the end, Transferwise and competitors are the best choice. Another option is a Master Card with zero fees for use in other countries. But be careful, even there are tricks of the banks to cheat you.
Old Jun 21st 2019, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

ChrisC1955 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice!
Old Aug 10th 2019, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

James1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, my names James and I am 24 years old. I am Northern Irish but I currently live and work in England due to my job in the British Army.
I have been with my partner for 3 years now, she is a Malaysian citizen, who I met while she was doing her degree in England. My partner recently moved back to Kuala Lumpur where she currently works. We are engaged and plan to marry April 2020 in Malaysia. Our intentions are too live in Malaysia.
I have read a lot of conflicting information online about a (LTSVP) also how easy it is to mess up the application. So I decided to play it safe and go through a lawyer in KL. The lawyer deals with LTSVP quite often. I have a meeting with her at the end of this current month.

I just have a few questions I hope someone could answer.

1. I read on a post that when you apply for a LTSVP you must have a sponsor outside of your partner. Also showing there income. Do you need to be employed? For instance, my partners parents are both retired so do not have monthly income. They are wealthy though, so could a balance of a sufficient amount be okay?

2. Is it best/easier to open up a joint bank account or my own bank account?

3. Work. I do plan on working in Malaysia and I see on the LTSVP that this can be a problem sometimes. I read that you can work if you obtain a letter stating you have been offered a position. Is this always the case? Or in some cases you just can't work.

4. Work. How hard is it to get work in KL as a foreigner? I do not have a degree, I have a couple diplomas and 7 years work experience in different fields. Before the army I worked as a manager in a retail shop and within the Army I work as an engineer. I also have a lot of experience in recruiting as I spent 2 years within the Army doing that.I am a hard worker and I don't mind working low level jobs to start with, so I would be willing to accept anything at the start.

I have around £25,000 worth of savings, so I hope that should give me enough time to support myself until I land a job.

Any help would be great

Thanks
Old Aug 11th 2019, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice

Originally Posted by James1234
I just have a few questions I hope someone could answer.

1. I read on a post that when you apply for a LTSVP you must have a sponsor outside of your partner. Also showing there income. Do you need to be employed? For instance, my partners parents are both retired so do not have monthly income. They are wealthy though, so could a balance of a sufficient amount be okay?
Not needed, my wife is my sponsor we were given the same duff info as you and asked her brother, his wife is Thai so he was already familiar with LTSVP and told us not required. Your wife can be your sponsor the requirement is that the sponsor has an income of greater than RM2K PCM, my wife uses here UK rental income, immigration unlike the banks are satisfied by overseas income.

2. Is it best/easier to open up a joint bank account or my own bank account?
You'll almost certainly not be able to open an account until you have the visa, we opened a joint one before but I understand Bank Negara has tightened the rules, no idea about an account in your own name I've not tried

3. Work. I do plan on working in Malaysia and I see on the LTSVP that this can be a problem sometimes. I read that you can work if you obtain a letter stating you have been offered a position. Is this always the case? Or in some cases you just can't work.
All LTSVP are stamped work is forbidden, you certainly cannot work on your first one which will be short(er). Once you have renewed and got at least a 12 month visa you can work but you have to have an offer letter from the employer before immigration will amend the visa, check out https://www.facebook.com/FSSGMY/ they are helpful and a lot of information bear in mind it is all volunteers so if you find out something useful please feed back to them

4. Work. How hard is it to get work in KL as a foreigner?
I've not tried all the work I've done since I came has been contracting overseas. Hopefully others can help, I suspect you'll need a second or third local language to be in with a chance, pay rates are by western standards low.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

meched55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Supposedly allowed to work part-time 20 hours. But the red tape to get even that is almost impossible. Good luck you're better off having her move to the UK.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

ChrisC1955 is an unknown quantity at this point

LSVP renewal

I applied to renew my LSVP at Jalan Duta today. The process took 5 hours - despite having all paperwork prepared.

The latest news is that there are no more 5 year passes.

I had hoped to get a longer term on this occasion but we were told that the new policy is:
First application 6 months
First renewal 6 months
Subsequent renewals 1 year.
I was also charged RM90 for renewal.
It seems to me that LSVP is being phased out and in effect there will be a choice between MM2H and waiting to apply for residency.
I find the policy short sighted and obviously I’m personally very disappointed. I had planned to sell up in the UK and purchase a house for me and my family but while the policy is so unwelcoming I’ll keep my assets in Britain. Obviously Malaysia doesn’t need me buying a RM 3 million property.

As an aside the JIM office was disgustingly squalid. No running water therefore no toilets flushing, no aircon. You realise at times like this that despite the tinsel, Malaysia is just a 3rd world country.

More in sorrow than in anger...

Old Dec 5th 2019, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

meched55 is an unknown quantity at this point

I’d applynfor
the MM2H never heard of the LSVP. I applied for the 10
yr mm2h anyway. They are above 3rd world, but I don’t know by how much? As I’ve only been in KL Penang and Langkawi. But I’ve been to the Philippines and it’s much better than that. Much better than lots of other countries Ukraine.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice

LSVP renewal

The process took 5 hours - despite having all paperwork prepared.
My experience in Penang is it is best to there early, gets very busy, for me earlier this year it was maybe 3 hours start to finish

The latest news is that there are no more 5 year passes.
I had heard, it has often depended if you have young dependent children

the new policy is:
First application 6 months
First renewal 6 months
Subsequent renewals 1 year.
I was also charged RM90 for renewal.
It has always been first time 6 months, be grateful some nationalities get only 3, luckily I don't need to renew now for a bit, in my case it went 6 months, 12 months x2, now on 24 months. The charge for renewal is RM90 per year so that is correct.

I’ll keep my assets in Britain. Obviously Malaysia doesn’t need me buying a RM 3 million property.
Don't take it personally, all governments and bureaucracies seem to be unyielding, just jump through the hoops on a different day you may well get a different officer and a different outcome.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 5:58 am
Just Joined

Shardy is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't believe it was more than five years ago that I posted here. A little update - when I renewed my LTSVP middle of last year they now only gave me three years and said this is the most they offer now. No other circumstances had changed so I guess the rules changed.

I had also applied for PR in the meantime and after waiting two and a half years I got a 'reject' letter - I am told this is normal and they always reject first time to see if you can be bothered to re-apply!

(Job creation scheme?)

Old Jul 23rd 2021, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Just renewed again in Penang. Made my appointment in April via SPO@JIM all worked okay. I asked 5 years, yes I know and same as Shardy got told maximum is three so changed to three but it came back as two again so I have to go through the whole faff yet again in 2023. By then it will be 5+ years so in theory I can apply for PR in another year. Why they make it so difficult I do not know, friends elsewhere in the world have either gained PR or in some cases citizenship in the time I am still messing about with temporary visas.
Old Jul 23rd 2021, 2:52 pm
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

I renewed mine in Sabah last September. I asked for 5 years. Up to then I had one 5 year and one 4 year (due to UK passport expiry date). They gave me 3 years.
Old Jul 12th 2022, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Hedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant future

Renewing LTSVP. I was turned away at Immigration. All renewals are now online. Submit/upload documents online then wait for a decision. They say 3 days. If approved you pay online then return to Immigration, show receipt and you'll be issued the new Visa.

Be advised that the max size per doc is 500kb so you may have to reduce. I'll repost any pitfalls.

H
Old Jul 13th 2022, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hedge
All renewals are now online. Submit/upload documents online then wait for a decision... I'll repost any pitfalls.
Thanks, I'd seen mention of this on FB my turn next year by which time it will have changed. I am considering swapping to residence pass, I have a couple of friends on LTSVP and one of them is looking into it now, the other is thinking to when their latest LTSVP expires since they've been doing this for nigh on 30 years now (5 years in the UK and my wife's status was permanent) <sigh>. Unsure if there's any gotchas with the resident pass needs more digging but on the surface it is 5 years with an automatic 5 year extension.
Old Jul 14th 2022, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Hedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant future

Just the update to the LTSVP renewal. After online application, email approval came the very next day! Print out the approval certificate. Then pay 90MYR online, again print out the official receipt. At this stage make an appointment online with your regional Immigration Office. For this, take all your receipts plus the originals of the documents you submitted online. At Malacca Office they even requested copies of all these that they dutifully stamped and kept despite everything being approved online. Wait 10 mins, walk out with new visa. Main takeaway, the system works, but for your appointment go armed with all documents.
Old Jul 14th 2022, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=IanBlakeley;13128479]Thanks, I'd seen mention of this on FB my turn next year by which time it will have changed. I am considering swapping to residence pass, I have a couple of friends on LTSVP and one of them is looking into it now, the other is thinking to when their latest LTSVP expires since they've been doing this for nigh on 30 years now (5 years in the UK and my wife's status was permanent) <sigh>. Unsure if there's any gotchas with the resident pass needs more digging but on the surface it is 5 years with an automatic 5 year

Is that the same as Permanent Resident PR? It's worth considering if you've done your time (I haven't). The rumour was that for that they have a quota and fail you on the first attempt just to see if you try again. Maybe that's 2 different things though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.