Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP or LTVP)

Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP or LTVP)

Old Apr 26th 2017, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP or LTVP)

As far as I know a kid that goes to school needs not a LTSVP but a student pass. So even if your kids don´t go to school already be prepared that the LTSVP will get useless soon and you need to apply for a Student visa and pass anyway.
Old May 12th 2017, 4:37 am
Just Joined

alex888 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi sir,

may i know how you change job/company while you are under LTSVP - LTVP - job endorsement in malaysia?

do they require you to bring your spouse to the immigration again?

Thanks,
alex
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice

Had the usual faff getting my first LTSVP 6 months ago, our mistakes on the forms, not having our adult children's birth certificates etc, basically didn't get all the forms as expected by the immigration folks. Anyway got it and as expected I initially got 6 months, so as it falls due while we're out of the country and with the Hari Raya holiday coming up went this week for the first renewal, less forms and no need to get the RM10 separate chop, just the proof of income and the completed forms including the one chopped by the commissionaire of oaths. I asked for 5 years, the first officer said her boss won't go for that make it 3, however, in the end was given a 1 year extension starting from the expiry of the current pass. Think I have the order of the forms down pat now so hopefully next year it should be relatively simple and take no more than 1/2 a day again.
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice

After last year we were better prepared I'd taken copies of all the forms so it was a matter of getting new one, following the format from 2017 just updating the financial bit with current information. A slight and beneficial change was once the forms were complete and we had the requisite ID pictures rather than use the Commissioner of Oaths next to immigration we went to see the chap in Hutton Lane the day before which meant we could be waiting on the doorstep of the immigration office in Butterworth when it opened at 07:30. This put us at the front of the queue, staff were pleasant and helpful and all was finished by around 10:00. Unfortunately only another 12 months, officer did say maybe longer next time but that's what they said last year, whilst not too difficult it is a fag to do annually and disinclines me to making the effort to possibly buy property, sort out my drivers licence etc etc.
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 8:58 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Thank you Ian.

It is really kind that you think to update here and I appreciate this.
Old Feb 17th 2019, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

obaydullah is an unknown quantity at this point

Can Bangladesh passport holders renew their Social Visit Pass (tourist visa) taken online as eVisa for another term of 30 days?
Old Feb 18th 2019, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

No. The maximum you can get is a few days more if you show a flight ticket in the very near future. But even this process is very expensive and time consuming. Better try to avoid which is easy for Bangladeshis thanks to AirAsia.
Old May 10th 2019, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

ChrisC1955 is an unknown quantity at this point

A question about returning to pick up the LTSV Pass. I'm in the process of getting mine and all the paperwork is with the Immigration Department. The official said it would be done within 30 working days but when my wife asked when we would be informed, she was told that she'd have to come to the office and ask!!
Now, even in Malaysia I cannot believe that the process is that a Government department expects people to call in on the off chance that a document has been processed! I have read on this thread that people have received letters or have been told to come back on a definite date. Can anyone say what the procedure is - if one exists?
Old May 10th 2019, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

I was given a date. I cannot now recall how far into the future it was now but we phoned first after the time was up to clarify how immigration wanted the deposit paid and to verify all was ready.
Old May 10th 2019, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by IanBlakeley
I was given a date. I cannot now recall how far into the future it was now but we phoned first after the time was up to clarify how immigration wanted the deposit paid and to verify all was ready.
Thanks Ian, I'l try to find out a phone number.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Today I picked up my LTSVP from Jalan Duta in KL. Six months initially so I need to go through at least partly, the rigmarole again in December.
The pass is clearly marked that any form of work is strictly prohibited. This doesn’t affect me at the moment but after my contract in Bangkok finishes I may want to get some employment.
How difficult is getting the authorities to permit employment? The experiences on this forum are very varied with some being given permission as a matter of course and some having to apply. Like most of the process it appears to revolve around who handles your case.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Bank Accounts. I am now totally confused about the ability to open a bank account as a holder of a LSVP. Has anyone done it? If so, when and with which bank?
My wife called CIMB this morning and was told that a Visa was required for a foreigner to open a bank account - the LSVP is not sufficient. Does anyone know definitively whether this is true or is this yet another case of someone at a bank not knowing the facts but being afraid to admit it?
Old Jun 17th 2019, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

We have two joint accounts. HSBC and CIMB. Initially we tried to open when visiting as tourists and were declined by public bank as I wasn't a resident or citizen, then on another tourist trip my wife went to open an account in her name at CIMB and they asked if I should be joint, not being a citizen or resident wasn't then a problem. After I got my first LTSVP we opened another account with HSBC, as we planned to use their premier service for money transfer[1] no issue then either. I do believe there has been some fiscal rule tightening since the new government took over as CIMB have now checked late last year I have a visa, they were happy with it. I am guessing you got someone clueless at the bank who heard the words social visit pass and di not understand, it was easier when it was known as spouse visa. In your situation I'd take the time to go into the bank with passports, proof of financial liquidity, address here etc.

[1] In the end never used, transferwise are a far better rate
Old Jun 17th 2019, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by IanBlakeley
We have two joint accounts. HSBC and CIMB. Initially we tried to open when visiting as tourists and were declined by public bank as I wasn't a resident or citizen, then on another tourist trip my wife went to open an account in her name at CIMB and they asked if I should be joint, not being a citizen or resident wasn't then a problem. After I got my first LTSVP we opened another account with HSBC, as we planned to use their premier service for money transfer[1] no issue then either. I do believe there has been some fiscal rule tightening since the new government took over as CIMB have now checked late last year I have a visa, they were happy with it. I am guessing you got someone clueless at the bank who heard the words social visit pass and di not understand, it was easier when it was known as spouse visa. In your situation I'd take the time to go into the bank with passports, proof of financial liquidity, address here etc.

[1] In the end never used, transferwise are a far better rate
Thank you Ian, next time I'm in town we'll go along with all the paperwork. Perhaps using the old term "spouse pass" might get a better response. Oddly enough on the CIMB website there is an expat Preferred account and a Prime account that are stated as being for residents and non residents.
I'm interested that you found transferwise better. I had planned that my pension providers from the UK should transfer direct to a current account in Malaysia but perhaps transferwise would be easier and cheaper - worth investigating. Thanks
Old Jun 17th 2019, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisC1955
I'm interested that you found transferwise better. I had planned that my pension providers from the UK should transfer direct to a current account in Malaysia but perhaps transferwise would be easier and cheaper - worth investigating. Thanks
Take for example a look at the CIMB webpage where they show the exchange rates. A quick search will lead you to that page. You will be shocked, and convinced that transferwise (and similar companies) are a better solution.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.