Reload this Page >

Living in KL as an intern

Living in KL as an intern

Old Mar 8th 2013, 11:02 am
Just Joined

freedom810 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in KL as an intern

Hi all,

I'm moving to KL in May 2013 and will have a wage of $500 USD which roughly exchanges to RM1500. I then get some money from student finances etc and will end up with a income of around RM2500 a month.

Could I live on that wage in KL? I keep getting mixed opinions on KL, some tell me its very expensive now and others tell me its rock bottom cheap. I've been living in Berlin on €800 quite comfortably and wanted to know if I will struggle or not in KL before I get there.

Also any sites that I definitely need to see whilst I'm there for the 4 months?

Much appreciated.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 12:23 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in KL as an intern

Hi there and welcome to the forum

Will you have accommodation provided? Rents in KL are quite high I think. Have a browse through the Malaysia section. There's already quite a lot of existing threads about costs and places to live.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

No that won't include rent sadly. thanks for the advice.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 12:15 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure some people get by on that but its definitely on the low side. I probably spend that per month on food alone but we're a family of four. House sharing should help.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Nemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really nice

Originally Posted by ajw
I'm sure some people get by on that but its definitely on the low side. I probably spend that per month on food alone but we're a family of four. House sharing should help.
Definately on low side. Savings are a must and will be spent! My rent is 2,500 RM per month and GBP/MYR rate is on decline (pound is becoming toilet paper thanks to Banana republic style finances with QE=printing money) so pound goes far less and getting less!

Single staff I have earning 3,500 RM per month have given up and quit their jobs as they can't make ends meet and gone to live with their parents. But for short term can live off 3,000 RM if share a room etc in non-air con place etc. Some cheap places are well dodgy with drugs and prostitutes (lots in poor areas). If white very dangerous to live in many cheap places.

So basically have to bunk in with other interns/students. If tough hardy love backpacking type can survive/ BTW Berlin is cheaper than KL to live in! Berlin is very cheap for a European city.

One thing GET MEDICAL INSURANCE. It is plain stupid to be uninsured.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freedom810
Hi all,

I'm moving to KL in May 2013 and will have a wage of $500 USD which roughly exchanges to RM1500. I then get some money from student finances etc and will end up with a income of around RM2500 a month.
Is that after tax??

Do you intend to spend any of your savings from previous employment to help you live in KL for the 4 months???

Care to let us know what your job will be because I can't think what you might be doing for such low pay. Are you doing this job to gain certain work experience???
Old Mar 10th 2013, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Nemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really nice

Originally Posted by ex reg
Is that after tax??

Do you intend to spend any of your savings from previous employment to help you live in KL for the 4 months???

Care to let us know what your job will be because I can't think what you might be doing for such low pay. Are you doing this job to gain certain work experience???
No tax on 2,500 RM !!!

As an intern paid peanuts - actually 2,500 RM is way above intern rates. Usually 1k to 1.5k (max) unless a Tunku in which case 5k
Old Mar 10th 2013, 5:30 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nemodot
No tax on 2,500 RM !!!

As an intern paid peanuts - actually 2,500 RM is way above intern rates. Usually 1k to 1.5k (max) unless a Tunku in which case 5k
OP said they were only being paid $500 usd for the actual intern work. The rest comes from other sources. But yes, within the tax free threshold.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Is that after tax??

I figured I will have savings, so maybe I could make it up to RM3500 which might make it a bit easier?

Its kind of work experience they didn't specifically say its a real job role but the pay shows that it clearly is an internship. I'll be a digital marketing analyst carrying out SEO which I've been doing in Berlin for awhile now.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freedom810
I figured I will have savings, so maybe I could make it up to RM3500 which might make it a bit easier?

Its kind of work experience they didn't specifically say its a real job role but the pay shows that it clearly is an internship. I'll be a digital marketing analyst carrying out SEO which I've been doing in Berlin for awhile now.
Quite a difficult decision really.
If you know there is a long term job at the end of this stint for you somewhere in the company then 4 months isn't that long.

Against that you have to balance the fact they may just be looking for cheap labour and if the experience you gain doesn't suit your CV then you might not get anything out of it but reduce the savings you have.

Why not chat to the company again now you have knowledge of costs in Malaysia and ask them to review your package.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

Quite a difficult decision really.
If you know there is a long term job at the end of this stint for you somewhere in the company then 4 months isn't that long.

Against that you have to balance the fact they may just be looking for cheap labour and if the experience you gain doesn't suit your CV then you might not get anything out of it but reduce the savings you have.

Why not chat to the company again now you have knowledge of costs in Malaysia and ask them to review your package.
Thanks for the advice, I have to go back to university in september but there is the possibility of a job offer afterwards. It also suits my CV really well so I know that the experience would be extremely valuable.

However I will be asking them to take a look at the salary, I have nothing to lose from just asking. At the end of the day though its not every day you get the option to live in Malaysia, pretty excited!
Old Mar 11th 2013, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Just one thing.

If you go back to your company requesting them to up your salary.
Don't make it look like you're just asking for more money for the sake of it.

Go back with a reasonable request.

You can find sites on the web which will compare costs of living in countries/cities.
Check the comparison between Berlin and KL or Germany and Malaysia.

You can also check accommodation prices in KL which will probably eat up most of your salary. Find some costs of sensible accommodation to show your company what you'll have to outlay.

From your posts it doesn't look like you are money grabbing.
Leave that like the rest of us until later

But the salary they are offering is very low and you maybe won't enjoy yourself in KL on it.