British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Kitchens (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/kitchens-757858/)

Adnams May 10th 2012 7:04 pm

Kitchens

Can someone please explain what a "dry / wet kitchen" is??

I keep seeing this description on iproperty but am a loss as to what it actually means? :confused:

Ta

ex reg May 10th 2012 9:09 pm

Re: Kitchens

We once lived in a detached property in Singapore.
We had two kitchens.
One inside the house was a dry kitchen with all the bits and pieces of the usual kitchen.
We also had a kitchen outside the house, undercover but adjacent to one wall of the house only so not fully enclosed.
This kitchen had two gas hobs and a sink and draining board iirc, oh and the washing machine was also close by undercover.
In this kitchen we'd clean fish and meat and cook fish and generally do any stir fry which might produce a lot of smoke and grease which a cooker hood might have difficulty dealing with.

We called the inside kitchen the dry kitchen and the outside kitchen the wet kitchen.

Not sure if that is where the terms originated.

bakedbean May 11th 2012 3:42 am

Ex Reg is spot on I think. It's an Asian thing. Quite sensible if you don't use... ahem... aircon. You can keep all the smelly and hot cooking out in the wet kitchen where likely there will be a window to outside, or an airwell, and all the smells are wafted away. That's the theory anyhow.

You can always change the wet kitchen though if you're not that way inclined. Ours backs onto an airwell. We've had that filled in with a window and the "wet kitchen" is now laundry area (washing machine, sink), Mr bakedbean's workbench and "man job stuff" (tools etc) all out there too.

Adnams May 11th 2012 10:06 pm

What a brilliant idea! I wish they had them here too. I cant stand cooking smells lingering in the house.

Originally Posted by ex reg (Post 10053436)
We once lived in a detached property in Singapore.
We had two kitchens.
One inside the house was a dry kitchen with all the bits and pieces of the usual kitchen.
We also had a kitchen outside the house, undercover but adjacent to one wall of the house only so not fully enclosed.
This kitchen had two gas hobs and a sink and draining board iirc, oh and the washing machine was also close by undercover.
In this kitchen we'd clean fish and meat and cook fish and generally do any stir fry which might produce a lot of smoke and grease which a cooker hood might have difficulty dealing with.

We called the inside kitchen the dry kitchen and the outside kitchen the wet kitchen.

Not sure if that is where the terms originated.

RedDragon2008 May 13th 2012 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Adnams (Post 10055482)
What a brilliant idea! I wish they had them here too. I cant stand cooking smells lingering in the house.

Thats why we used to have outhouses too:D