Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Johor International School

Johor International School

Old Jun 8th 2020, 12:33 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Johor International School

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I have looked at several web sites reporting (consistent) figures for international schools in Malaysia, and with only a very few exceptions (only Marlborough College, really), they are not "extremely high" compared to the cost of private schools in the UK and North America.

I guess you (eCdD) might be surprised how much a good private school costs and how many parents are prepared to pay for eduction, and I am not talking about "public" schools (UK) or top-flight schools in NYC, Boston, or California which are much more expensive.
You need to check the common expat schools in KL such as GIS, ISKL, AS. The ones most expats in KL send their kids to and are far more expensive than UK private schools.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 12:36 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muellank
Thank you all. The job is in JB so we won’t live in KL. The company will pay for the schools and the kids have been in English school this past year (Canada) So I think they should be ok with English school in JB too. I just wouldn’t want something that is very competitive. I have the impression that in Asia the kids are in a lot of pressure. But don’t know if in Malaysia is the same as some news we have seen from China.

we are thinking about Sunway (Canadian) or Ruffles (American), as we are more used to it now and don’t know anything about the British. Does anyone have any experience with them?

The quarantine time was a good highlight, I guess we will need to fly to KL. Thanks for that!
Grab is also a good suggestion if we don’t find a driver, but will be more complicated to do groceries I guess. Do the market deliver groceries there?

Thank you all once again!!
a lot of expat Information is on Facebook groups nowadays. Most folks on here are retired and not representative.

supermarkets do grocery deliveries, happy fresh is an app for deliveries and shopping, and grab food is the delivery app for home deliveries
Old Jun 8th 2020, 1:08 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
You need to check the common expat schools in KL such as GIS, ISKL, AS. The ones most expats in KL send their kids to and are far more expensive than UK private schools.
I presume that ISKL is the International School of Kuala Lumpur, but the others I can't distinguish from the dozens of private schools in Malaysia, (there are at least 4 beginning with a G, but none line up exactly with "GIS") but I had already looked at ISKL, and it's fees are not IMO extraordinary at all, and my previous comment stands.

If "AS" is the Australian International School, then it's fees are suspiciously low, from what I see, less than a quarter of the fees for ISKL.

If you have not sent your children to a private school, you would be surprised how expensive a good private school is, and while there are cheaper schools, like other things in life, you get what you pay for. It is perfectly possible to pay more than ISKL is charging without choosing a British public school or high end private school in New York, Boston, or LA, where the fees can be 2-3 times as much.

ETA. Let's stop beating around the bush and put some numbers on this - I am seeing around MYR75,000 for ISKL, which is USD17,250. I know of four private schools in Charlotte, NC, that charge significantly more than that - of the order of 40-50% more than that, and there are at least another two schools in the area that I know of, that are charging fees the same as or more than ISKL. While I am sure that most people in the Charlotte area would consider the fees to be "extraordinary", I would suggest that when there are six schools, with an aggregate of around 500 pupils per grade, at fees at or above the ISKL fees, in a metro aea of only around 2.5 million people, that private education in that price range is more than an ultra-elite niche service.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 8th 2020 at 2:15 am.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Muellank is an unknown quantity at this point

The current rule is that unless you are related to a Malaysian, or you have an MM2H, or there is an exceptional circumstance, foreigners are not allowed in to Malaysia until at least 01 September and no one knows what the rules will be for quarantine then.
Thank you! Where can I find this information about September 1st?

Thanks once again
Old Jun 8th 2020, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muellank
Thank you! Where can I find this information about September 1st?
The best source for information about Malaysia is Free Malaysia Today: https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/ca...tourism-group/

In my opinion, by no means they can keep it until September 1st. But as long as this RMCO is valid, (almost) no airlines will schedule flights to/from Malaysia, meaning we also cannot go out.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Muellank is an unknown quantity at this point

a lot of expat Information is on Facebook groups nowadays. Most folks on here are retired and not representative.

supermarkets do grocery deliveries, happy fresh is an app for deliveries and shopping, and grab food is the delivery app for home deliveries
Thank you! Will have a look into it.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 11:03 pm
womble

Muellank, you’re welcome. For information, I’m a working expat that currently lives in KL and not an overseas keyboard warrior, so use my information as you see fit.