Reload this Page >

Johor International School

Johor International School

Old Jun 3rd 2020, 5:00 am
Just Joined

Muellank is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Johor International School

Hello!!

We are considering a relocation to Johor Bahru and would like to have insights of the international schools. We have 2 kids (9 and 16 years old). What would be your recommendation or which school should we avoid? Our kids attended German schools for most of their lives, only for 1 year they have been in a English school, so something not too competitive would be better for them.
Also, we have never driven on the left side, and we are a bit “scared” of the experience as we have also read that driving in Malaysia is a bit crazy. Is it easy to find or is it very expensive to have a private driver? (at least for a while until we get used to the change)
Sorry for so many questions but any recommendation on where to live or anything to be aware of would be greatly appreciated, as we have never been to Malaysia and won’t have an opportunity to visit JB before the move.

Many thanks
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Johor International School

Originally Posted by Muellank
Also, we have never driven on the left side, and we are a bit “scared” of the experience as we have also read that driving in Malaysia is a bit crazy. Is it easy to find or is it very expensive to have a private driver? (at least for a while until we get used to the change)
If you don't need transport often you could consider to only use Grab instead. That will make you familiar with the local driving habits.
Getting used to driving on "the wrong side" of the road is something which comes quickly. Don't worry too much about it.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, as an original right hand driver I can confirm what Sushifan said, it comes quickly!
I found the most difficult part to be to not start the windshield wiper when making a left or right turn.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I had problems when I had to switch to the proper side of the road !
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 1:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SushiFan
.... Getting used to driving on "the wrong side" of the road is something which comes quickly. ....
I think it is very personal - many find the switch easy, some do not. That said, I suspect that waiting will just increase the stress and anxiety level and that "diving right in" as soon as you arrive, would be the best approach. My tip for making the switch safely would be, perhaps counterintuitively, to start out driving immediately on busy streets, not quiet ones, as the liklihood of you crossing on to the wrong side of the road will be less because there are already cars coming the other way on that piece of road.

For me the biggest challenge wasn't switching sides, it was getting used to finding the gear lever with my other hand, and for the first six months I found myself reflexively reaching for the door handle, not the gear lever.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for your comments about the driving... I am sure we will have to face it at some point, but for less stress, during the time of looking for houses, school, and etc, we thought that for the first month or so we would have a driver... but I am having a hard time finding agencies or something like that... only for cleaning helpers but not for drivers. Would you know anything.

Another question, when you moved you flew to KL or to Singapore? We think flying to Singapore would be closer but as it would be our first entrance, not sure if we should fly to KL. What was your experience ? It would be a long way for us coming from the middle of Canada, so trying to avoid also a long drive.

Thank you once again
Old Jun 4th 2020, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think border crossings are open 24/7 atm.

Not sure you can get transport from Changi directly across to JB. You'd have to change some place, maybe Newton Circus, or perhaps your new employers would arrange a pick up.

May have a 14 day isolation policy in place from Singapore to Malaysia???

You may get more definite info from others on here. These points are just for your consideration.
Old Jun 4th 2020, 6:43 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. You don’t say what visa you are getting and that’s important. MM2H allowed back in, EP not yet.

i don’t know about JB schools but there is a German school in KL.

First time immigration for work normally has to be done through an airport. So fly to KL and then domestic transfer to JB.

Driving, you will need to take lessons if not MM2H and get a local licenceso that’s the best way to learn. Use Grab (Uber equivalent) until then. It’s cheap.
Old Jun 4th 2020, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

Germans don´t know Grab or Uber, it is illegal there like so many other things the world longtime enjoys already

There is only one real German school in Malaysia, in KL. Most of these "International schools" are totally based on the British system. In Penang there is one international school that at least is partly German (St. Christophers). Nothing else.

You should know that the fees for international schools in Malaysia are extremely high, usually these costs are borne by the employer, if you have to pay by yourself this will be the by far highest cost of living in Malaysia. And will make your life for sure much more expensive than life in Germany. If your kids not speak Bahasa or Mandarin then it will be difficult or impossible to find a public school. Otherwise the Catholic or the Methodist schools would be a great option.

As your older kid has almost finished school I am really not sure if it is a good idea to go to Malaysia right now. Or at least consider going to KL for the German school there instead of the International schools in JB. Frankly speaking I think these International schools are just a big waste of money for your family. Certainly this is also true for the German school in KL, but at least this place provides a much more suitable environment for your kids.

You will not find many offers for drivers nowadays as everybody is using Grab.

A flight to Singapore is not really much better, as there are so many buses directly from KLIA to JB. And my last border crossing by public transport from SG to MY was quite a pain.
Old Jun 4th 2020, 6:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eCdD
..... You should know that the fees for international schools in Malaysia are extremely high, .
I have looked at several web sites reporting (consistent) figures for international schools in Malaysia, and with only a very few exceptions (only Marlborough College, really), they are not "extremely high" compared to the cost of private schools in the UK and North America.

I guess you (eCdD) might be surprised how much a good private school costs and how many parents are prepared to pay for eduction, and I am not talking about "public" schools (UK) or top-flight schools in NYC, Boston, or California which are much more expensive.
Old Jun 4th 2020, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all. The job is in JB so we won’t live in KL. The company will pay for the schools and the kids have been in English school this past year (Canada) So I think they should be ok with English school in JB too. I just wouldn’t want something that is very competitive. I have the impression that in Asia the kids are in a lot of pressure. But don’t know if in Malaysia is the same as some news we have seen from China.

we are thinking about Sunway (Canadian) or Ruffles (American), as we are more used to it now and don’t know anything about the British. Does anyone have any experience with them?

The quarantine time was a good highlight, I guess we will need to fly to KL. Thanks for that!
Grab is also a good suggestion if we don’t find a driver, but will be more complicated to do groceries I guess. Do the market deliver groceries there?

Thank you all once again!!
Old Jun 5th 2020, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I have looked at several web sites reporting (consistent) figures for international schools in Malaysia, and with only a very few exceptions (only Marlborough College, really), they are not "extremely high" compared to the cost of private schools in the UK and North America.
The thread opener is coming from Germany where they have the best school in the world completely free. But anyway, as the company pays, this is not a topic. Certainly I believe you that it costs a hell of money in the USA and I know that things have changed in the UK. These international schools in Malaysia are so (in my opinion) crazy expensive, because they are just companies who need to make money for the shareholders. As much money as possible, like any other business.

Anyway, we are in Malaysia, where we thankfully have really good public schools, these international schools are more or less something for parents prestige like a BMW (that also costs much more in Malaysia than in Europe). But if somebody would pay the fees for my kids I would also send them there also, sure.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

I just wouldn’t want something that is very competitive. I have the impression that in Asia the kids are in a lot of pressure. But don’t know if in Malaysia is the same as some news we have seen from China.
Unfortunately this is nowadays true in Malaysia also. Not just in the Chinese schools, almost in all schools except the muslim schools. Probably JB has the "chinese poison" more than other Malaysian cities as it is so close to Singapore and many mainlanders living there. Cannot give any recommendation, probably you have to find the school with the most Westerners
Old Jun 5th 2020, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

The quarantine time was a good highlight, I guess we will need to fly to KL. Thanks for that!
I'm not sure when you plan to travel to Malaysia, but be aware that the current rule is that you and your family will be put in 2 week quarantine when you arrive at KL airport. Assuming that you will be allowed to board the flight to Malaysia.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 12:31 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SushiFan
I'm not sure when you plan to travel to Malaysia, but be aware that the current rule is that you and your family will be put in 2 week quarantine when you arrive at KL airport. Assuming that you will be allowed to board the flight to Malaysia.
The current rule is that unless you are related to a Malaysian, or you have an MM2H, or there is an exceptional circumstance, foreigners are not allowed in to Malaysia until at least 01 September and no one knows what the rules will be for quarantine then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.