British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Issues with Expat (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/issues-expat-694354/)

igotthis Nov 22nd 2010 1:52 am

Issues with Expat

Hi -

I'm not an expat, but I thought this audience would be the best place to ask.

I'm Malaysian and have a British expat as a tenant. He'd given 2 months' notice to terminate the agency, which was accepted. However, he has stopped paying rent for the last 2 months and expects us to utilise the deposit to offset it. We have repeatedly told him verbally and in writing that this is unacceptable. I have even sent a letter via my lawyers notifying him to pay up.

Does anyone know if I have any recourse with the British High Commission to lodge a complaint?

Any other advice in handling the matter would also be appreciated.

ex reg Nov 22nd 2010 7:20 am

Re: Issues with Expat

This happens quite often in Singapore, see the expat Sing forum.

Many ex pats believe it's ok to do this.
I don't. But we were landlords:D
We never had this problem

What does your contract say in detail?
Is it allowable according to that.
I suppose it's not a corporate lease but personal.
We always had corporate leases.

You might 'threaten' to speak to his employers.
You might speak to the British High Com but somehow I doubt they'd help.
You might speak to your local police,unofficially at first.

If you don't get anything sorted then you might change the locks but maybe your lawyer can advise you on that.

Have you been able to ascertain the state of your property lately?
Is it a fully furnished let?

Have you given the tenant any suspicion that you may with hold some of the deposit?

Anyway best of luck with this.

redbean Nov 22nd 2010 7:30 am

I do have a problem with the title of this thread. Wouldn't it be better to say that you have an issue with a tenant rather than "Issues with Expat". It is like saying all expats are 'loudmouth' when really the problem you encounter is with one expat who happens to be your tenant or who is a loudmouth. :frown:

bakedbean Nov 22nd 2010 8:07 am

FWIW I am currently renting in Malaysia and our Rental Agreement specifically says that we cannot use the 2 month deposit to clear payment at the end of the rental. It's there to protect the landlord in case of any damage and I can understand that full well - but then we have a good relationship with the landlords and our agent too.

But.... as ex Reg said... it's pretty common practice in Singapore.

I can tell you a story the other way round. Some good friends of ours (British expats) used to live and rent in mainland Malaysia. They left Malaysia and landlord never paid their deposit back :frown:. About 5 years later, same expats were posted to Singapore, and our friends drove up to KL and found the guy and demanded cash deposit or else. They got it back.

So these things can work both ways.

Anyways, best of luck Igotthis. Geez... I'll be glad when I've moved into my bought place. Renting is such a minefield.

sandcastle Nov 23rd 2010 2:34 am

This is the type of behavior that gives expats a bad name. Unfortunately if they have no consequences for bad behavior, many people will behave badly. Some people don't need the threat of their credit rating being hurt or that their next potential landlord passing on them due to their misbehavior on their last lease, but some do.

igotthis Nov 23rd 2010 8:13 am

Originally Posted by redbean (Post 8996336)
I do have a problem with the title of this thread. Wouldn't it be better to say that you have an issue with a tenant rather than "Issues with Expat". It is like saying all expats are 'loudmouth' when really the problem you encounter is with one expat who happens to be your tenant or who is a loudmouth. :frown:

I apologise for that. I didn't really think it through. That's not what I meant. I don't have an issue with expats at all, just this tenant, and because he's an expat I was hoping that there would be some additional steps that I can take to protect myself as a landlord.

igotthis Nov 23rd 2010 8:14 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 8996385)
FWIW I am currently renting in Malaysia and our Rental Agreement specifically says that we cannot use the 2 month deposit to clear payment at the end of the rental. It's there to protect the landlord in case of any damage and I can understand that full well - but then we have a good relationship with the landlords and our agent too.

But.... as ex Reg said... it's pretty common practice in Singapore.

I can tell you a story the other way round. Some good friends of ours (British expats) used to live and rent in mainland Malaysia. They left Malaysia and landlord never paid their deposit back :frown:. About 5 years later, same expats were posted to Singapore, and our friends drove up to KL and found the guy and demanded cash deposit or else. They got it back.

So these things can work both ways.

Anyways, best of luck Igotthis. Geez... I'll be glad when I've moved into my bought place. Renting is such a minefield.

bakedbean, I think it's an issue in most countries for expats and locals alike. Many landlords have my problem and many renters have your friends' problem. That's what makes property ownership such a headache.

Anyway, I'll probably do what your friends did - go see the guy and demand my money or else.

redbean Nov 23rd 2010 9:37 am

May I suggest that perhaps you could explain to this tenant that there is a clause in the contract that clearly stipulates that tenant must pay rent when it is due and that bond money must not be used to offset rent?

To explain that the bond money is withhold in case there are damages to the property and as such will be returned upon satisfactory inspection of the property. Hopefully he/she will be more cooperative if you adopt a more friendly tone. :)

igotthis Nov 24th 2010 12:52 am

Originally Posted by redbean (Post 8998879)
May I suggest that perhaps you could explain to this tenant that there is a clause in the contract that clearly stipulates that tenant must pay rent when it is due and that bond money must not be used to offset rent?

To explain that the bond money is withhold in case there are damages to the property and as such will be returned upon satisfactory inspection of the property. Hopefully he/she will be more cooperative if you adopt a more friendly tone. :)

I tried that. We had a long meeting when I went over to explain to him that in principle, we do not allow tenants to contra the last few months' rent against the deposit. I also explained that his deposit will be returned so long as there is no damage, etc, and that the agreement clearly states etc etc.

He said, and I quote, "I don't care about the agreement". This guy is a particular breed of human being. He's quite condescending, and despite me bowing to his every demand for 3 years, he became quite belligerent just because I wouldn't let him do this.

People like him make the world a worse place to live in.

redbean Nov 24th 2010 6:52 am

Originally Posted by igotthis (Post 9000367)
People like him make the world a worse place to live in.

So true! What a bastard! Perhaps the best option would be to threaten to speak to his employer or work on the or else.

Too late to evict him, I guess.

Best of luck. :)

bakedbean Nov 24th 2010 7:58 am

Ya best of luck Igotthis.

igotthis Nov 24th 2010 9:56 am

thanks, everybody! :fingerscrossed:

britishbull Nov 26th 2010 9:54 am

Suggest you keep monitoring the condition of the property but let it go, you have had nearly three years rent out of him so not the end of the world.

Picnic Nov 27th 2010 4:15 am

He's probably been burned in the past over the return of the deposit. And, as the previous poster has said, you've had 3 years rent out of one tenant so you have been spared two of the usual end of one year lease refurbishment, and you have his deposit, so I don't know why you are worrying so much.

bakedbean Nov 27th 2010 4:34 am

Originally Posted by igotthis (Post 9000367)

He said, and I quote, "I don't care about the agreement".

Easy to say Don't Worry but if the guy doesn't care about the agreement, what does he care about? Would he care about trashing the guy's flat? Some people are very strange (expat or not).