Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Investing outside of Malaysia

Investing outside of Malaysia

Old Jan 29th 2022, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice
Default Investing outside of Malaysia

I am in the process of selling some UK property and once I've been fleeced for capital gains plan on investing outside of the UK. I have in mine a couple of potential fund managers, seriously I lack the knowledge to competently pick stocks myself. I figure I have enough in Malaysia to live on and invested here and it is not somewhere I am comfortable moving more funds than is necessary now. Wonder if anyone has any recommendations? Especially if you're already doing this. Be interested to see if they match what I have already found I reckon on looking for growth over income, my income is I think sufficient for now. Figuring I may have to cash in and buy again in the UK at some undetermined future date but until then I want it clear of HMRC.
Old May 2nd 2022, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Investing outside of Malaysia

Ian, when I left the UK, it was made clear to me that without a UK residency I would no longer be able to add to funds that I have there. Like you I did not want to keep large sums invested in Malaysia and I enlisted the help of my HSBC relationship manager to open an account in Singapore. Up until Putin's special raid those investments did OK. Not as well as my still existing UK investments but OK.

So if you are banking with a bank with branches in Singapore you might try this option. It is not to far to go if you need a review of your investments.
Old May 4th 2022, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice

Thanks. I managed with a financial advisor so at a cost to open some funds with AJ Bell in the UK despite being non resident. I shall have a word with our CIMB relationship manager about Singapore funds, the ones available from Malaysia are somewhat limited. Ideally in my circumstance I'd have pile it into a mixture of Vanguard funds if that had been an available option.
Old May 8th 2022, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IanBlakeley
Thanks. I managed with a financial advisor so at a cost to open some funds with AJ Bell in the UK despite being non resident. I shall have a word with our CIMB relationship manager about Singapore funds, the ones available from Malaysia are somewhat limited. Ideally in my circumstance I'd have pile it into a mixture of Vanguard funds if that had been an available option.
If you already know which investment funds you want to use (you mention Vanguard funds) then you could also open a brokerage account and buy those funds yourself. For example at Interactive Brokers (there are others). In case of Interactive Brokers, and your residence being in Malaysia, they would assign your account to their US subsidiary.