Internet in Penang

Old Aug 5th 2018, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet in Penang

I use Home plugs.
The speed through a home plug a few rooms away is faster than straight from the router with the laptop next to the router.
Funny, innit.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice

I've had time since Nov 2016, didn't need the deposit as Mrs B is Malaysian so it is in her name. Contract is 2 years with penalty if you leave early, if you move to another Time enabled place then there's RM100 to move the connection by my understanding. It's been (tempts fate) pretty reliable with only two outages.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 1:34 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SushiFan
Unify is in the process of upgrading its network during the coming 6~12 months. See the bottom half of this article: https://www.thestar.com.my/tech/tech...rbo-check-now/
I am using TIME fibre (100 Mbps) and am very satisfied with it. I signed up for a 2 year contract and did not have to pay a deposit. If you pay by auto-debit they waive the deposit requirement.
I had to switch from TIME to Unifi when I moved apartments. I paid a RM500 deposit to TIME (as they didn't have AutoPay at that time) and 6 months after terminating my contract they still haven't refunded it.

Both companies provide a reliable connection although, strangely, the 30Mbps Unifi can stream TV much better than the 100Mbps TIME ever did.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I had to switch from TIME to Unifi when I moved apartments. I paid a RM500 deposit to TIME (as they didn't have AutoPay at that time) and 6 months after terminating my contract they still haven't refunded it.
You may have to contact TIME and push them to pay it back to you. My experience is that they respond rather quickly to email inquiries to their customer support email address.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 11:38 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SushiFan
You may have to contact TIME and push them to pay it back to you. My experience is that they respond rather quickly to email inquiries to their customer support email address.
On this subject they don't reply so quickly - I've had apologies so far but no dosh.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like that Maxis wants to compete on price with TIME. They have started a new campaign, in which the monthly price for a 100 Mbps plan is lower than at TIME: https://www.maxis.com.my/en/personal...brenation.html
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Foodi is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Sushifan, that’s great. Meaning the internet price will go down. In fact, my agent just told me that Time has some promotion to price match Maxis. So hopefully I will get the same package as Maxis with Time. The promo ends soon though.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

One of the election pledges of the new government was to increase access to Internet in Malaysia and connect a larger percentage of the population to high speed internet (i.e. more than about 10 Mbps). They wanted the internet providers to reduce prices to achieve this pledge. I considered it as "just one of those pledges", but since then have I seen multiple companies announcing either speed increases for existing customers and/or lower prices. What remains is getting infrastructure in place in the more rural and/or remote areas of the country.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to bear in mind when comparing Time with TM/Maxis is the upload speed. Time gives the same speed for upload and download, whereas TM/Maxis (they share the same infrastructure) has slower upload than download. Not important for most people, but if you do a lot of cloud computing or torrenting it can make a difference.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

WiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really nice

I talked to a TIME rep outside my apartment yesterday, and was told for NEW customers... RM129 for 100mb (2 yr).
When I asked "What about your old customers.." Sorry Sir no price change.
Oh Well...
Old Oct 7th 2018, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

I got upgraded today by Time, from 100mbps (RM 149/month) to 500mbps (RM 139/month). Since I had a new customer's discount of RM 20 from August, my package is actually only RM 119 for 500mbps. Still don't know what to do with the speed though, but no complaint so far!
Old Oct 7th 2018, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice

I've been upgraded too, just need a new router now, the one they supplied originally isn't up to 500Mbps and neither is the tp-link I swapped if for. I can get a Archer c1200 from time by signing for another two years or maybe see whatever other better SOHO router I can buy locally.
Old Oct 7th 2018, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

I have the c1200 but had to reboot the router to kick off that speed. I then did the speed test and the download was a big fat 500mbps while the upload was 39mbps, not bad!
Old Oct 7th 2018, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

You can also downgrade to 100Mbps for 99RM, through the Time Self Care site.
Old Oct 7th 2018, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

stepen is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Foodi
I have the c1200 but had to reboot the router to kick off that speed. I then did the speed test and the download was a big fat 500mbps while the upload was 39mbps, not bad!
I got download around 480 and upload around 250

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.