Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

International driving licence?

International driving licence?

Old May 26th 2013, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Jasonargonaut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default International driving licence?

We are moving to Malaysia from the UK and wondered if anyone could clarify how we get an international driving licence? I've been told its a requirement but here in the UK it seems to be confused with the IDP ( international driving permit). Anyone out there already done this? Do I get one here or wait till I get to Malaysia?
Thanks
Jason
Old May 26th 2013, 7:07 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International driving licence?

Originally Posted by Jasonargonaut
We are moving to Malaysia from the UK and wondered if anyone could clarify how we get an international driving licence? I've been told its a requirement but here in the UK it seems to be confused with the IDP ( international driving permit). Anyone out there already done this? Do I get one here or wait till I get to Malaysia?
Thanks
Jason
Are you sure the confusion is not the other way around?
Old May 27th 2013, 1:23 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if the system is still the same as I haven't been back to UK for yonks but some years back I went armed with my UK driving licence to a UK post office, filled out a form, needed a couple of pics of self I think, and hey presto, intl driv licence on the spot.

Someone please correct if this has changed in recent years.

Was handy for me as I could convert the int driv licence for a Thai driv licence.
Old May 27th 2013, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I don't know if the system is still the same as I haven't been back to UK for yonks but some years back I went armed with my UK driving licence to a UK post office, filled out a form, needed a couple of pics of self I think, and hey presto, intl driv licence on the spot.

Someone please correct if this has changed in recent years.

Was handy for me as I could convert the int driv licence for a Thai driv licence.
Spot on, BB. You used to be able to get one from the AA, but there are only certain places (mainly AA offices at ports) now where they do. Only takes a few minutes at the Post Office and a (relatively) small fee.

Jasonargonaut,
You don't actually need an International Driving Licence to drive in Malaysia. Your UK licence is fine for up to a year. You are supposed to apply for a Malaysian Driving Licence within that year if you are staying on. I did get an International Licence back in October which I plan to use in my (eventual) application for a Malaysian Licence.
Old May 28th 2013, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

jackslackofsurprise is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but I'm also going to Malaysia with my partner and am attempting to get organised well in advance with the driver's licence.

The gov.uk website states that I need to phone the DVLA to get a Certificate of Entitlement (D737)-have any of you required this when changing your licence or is the licence itself and counterpart sufficient when you arrive in Malyasia?

Not sure whether this is just an important part of the licence exchanging process or just something the UK government believes you need, rather than reflecting the reality.

Thanks.
Old May 29th 2013, 8:25 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jack and welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I haven't the foggiest, but hopefully someone will be along with an answer soon.

Are you going to be working in Malaysia? Which part will you be travelling to? (If I'm not being too nosey) I am in Penang by the way.
Old May 29th 2013, 8:59 am
Just Joined

Hi BakedBean, and thanks for the welcome!

It's not too nosey at all-my partner and I are both going to be working just a little south of KL. We've both lived and worked abroad for years (fifth country for me, sixth for her), and Malaysia has been extremely high on our list. We're hoping, all things going well, to be there for a long time.

Now just the long wait to sort out documents, or I'd be over there now!
Old May 29th 2013, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Quackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jasonargonaut
Thanks
Jason
It's called an 'International Driving Permit' and you obtain it from main Post Offices (You need 2 x photo and your paper/card DL then complete form at PO. I've not got one for the past couple of years but it's around 15 pound.

I believe that you can obtain a Malay licence by showing your UK license at most test centers and taking an eye test (same in Thailand)
Old May 29th 2013, 12:44 pm

Quackers I converted from an international driv licence (UK) to a Thai driv licence. It was a palaver and they weren't interested in a UK driv licence. It also involved various tests but not driving hehe. This was about 5 years ago I guess. Quite a performance I can tell you.

Since then went on to convert the Thai driv licence to a Malaysian one (I moved countries) at JPJ. I know you can convert a UK one, slightly more complex than an ASEAN licence so they preferred my Thai one.
Old May 29th 2013, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by jackslackofsurprise
Hi BakedBean, and thanks for the welcome!

It's not too nosey at all-my partner and I are both going to be working just a little south of KL. We've both lived and worked abroad for years (fifth country for me, sixth for her), and Malaysia has been extremely high on our list. We're hoping, all things going well, to be there for a long time.

Now just the long wait to sort out documents, or I'd be over there now!
Aha seasoned expats then . Any other questions, just start up a new thread, or have a browse through the Malaysia section. Quite a lot of info on here. The PM function on here will work after you've done 3 posts.
Old May 29th 2013, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Quackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really nice

Quackers I converted from an international driv licence (UK) to a Thai driv licence. It was a palaver and they weren't interested in a UK driv licence. It also involved various tests but not driving hehe. This was about 5 years ago I guess. Quite a performance I can tell you.

Since then went on to convert the Thai driv licence to a Malaysian one (I moved countries) at JPJ. I know you can convert a UK one, slightly more complex than an ASEAN licence so they preferred my Thai one.
I went to the local test center in Thailand (last year) with my UK license and had to do an eye test then they gave me a Thai car license ....easy

I then had to do a motorbike test (ride around a small course) and exam to obtain a separate motorbike license.

I remember years back the police stopped us and accepted my UK license but for some reason wouldn't accept my Aussie friends diving license (It did say PADI on it )
Old May 29th 2013, 2:45 pm

Sounds like it has changed then. Thanks for that. Mine was in Phuket. It was pretty hilarious. We had a few laughs.
Old May 31st 2013, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Aha seasoned expats then . Any other questions, just start up a new thread, or have a browse through the Malaysia section. Quite a lot of info on here. The PM function on here will work after you've done 3 posts.

I'd like to think we're seasoned-more at home elsewhere than in our respective countries! Thanks very much, Baked Bean-if there are any other questions we have, we'll be sure to post a new thread