Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Indicating is a sign of weakness

Indicating is a sign of weakness

Old Apr 4th 2016, 11:41 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Indicating is a sign of weakness

So says a survey of drivers in the UAE.

Sound familiar?

Indicating is a sign of weakness, finds UAE driving survey

Thanks to Meow in the Sandpit who posted the link on BE.

JC3
Old Apr 4th 2016, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

abdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indicating is a sign of weakness

One of the most frustrating things in Malaysia! And when you horn someone that nearly crashes into you due to not indicating, they look at YOU as if YOU'RE the one that's crazy!!!

I met a Malaysian who I informed of this and he told me 'if you indicate, people don't give you way. So better to barge in!'
Old Apr 4th 2016, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

I find that indicating and s l o w l y changing lanes or turning works quite well here.
It is riskier to drive in Europe because you trust other drivers to obey the rules.....
More so now with the influx of people with different interpretations of traffic rules :-)
Old Apr 4th 2016, 10:52 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

It's a strange thing about locals. In general, I find Malaysians very pleasant and helpful. They always help you out....at least I find that. But put them behind the wheel of a vehicle and something happens. Nobody ever lets you out into a lane of traffic. Ever.

There's some kind of competitive mentality that kicks in. The same with haggling over a ringgit or two. I mean...why? Life is too short.

Love using my horn. I drive a nice little Suzuki Swift which came with a little horn that sounded something like a wet fart. It didn't do the job here, so I had it replaced with a much louder horn. It's really fun. Especially behind bicycles

Last edited by bakedbean; Apr 4th 2016 at 10:55 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 5th 2016, 1:37 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean

...which came with a little horn that sounded something like a wet fart...I had it replaced with a much louder horn. It's really fun. Especially behind bicycles
Think I've seen you. Is this it?

JC3
Attached Thumbnails Indicating is a sign of weakness-honk.jpg  
Old Apr 5th 2016, 1:43 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Nobody ever lets you out into a lane of traffic. Ever.

And nobody ever lets you out of the lift before they get in...Doh!

We call it the "I go first, lah" mentality.

JC3
Old Apr 5th 2016, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

Size and looks matter.
People are more considerate if you have a large and dented van.
But in general I think the strategy is to avoid eye contact with your fellow drivers.
Quite contrary to what they teach you in Europe.

I think this also applies for the elevator case.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gunnar45
Size and looks matter.
People are more considerate if you have a large and dented van.
But in general I think the strategy is to avoid eye contact with your fellow drivers.
Quite contrary to what they teach you in Europe.

I think this also applies for the elevator case.
I scrapped and dented the side of my old car going down a parking ramp and decided not to fix it. As Gunnar noticed other drivers seem to take note and keep a away from me when I drive that car, it's not even a van just a 11 old KIA hatchback with 50+k mileage that the car dealer was offering me peanuts to trade in for the new car

Last edited by columbine; Apr 5th 2016 at 3:23 am.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 4:02 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gunnar45
I think the strategy is to avoid eye contact with your fellow drivers.
Yes, if you combine this with not indicating then you can pretty much just drive where you want. But of course you have to hope that the other driver is ALSO pretending that he is not looking.

Last edited by InVinoVeritas; Apr 5th 2016 at 4:04 am.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

IVV.
In your own interest you should of course always use the relevant indicator!
After all you want the others to see you.
Unless of course you happen to belong to the machos not wanting to show weakness.

This about eye contact was learned in Taiwan where I was told that a good excuse in case of a crash was that one had not seen the other vehicle.
And since you are expected to look at least forward and even with an extreme tunnel vision also a little to the side, the guy coming from behind will definitely and officially see you and you can change lane when and if you judge that he can break to let you in.

If you get eye contact, he will mostly conclude that you have seen him and therefore not let you in.
In practice you should of course always be aware of what goes on around you, but you don't necessarily have to show that.

I noticed also that this strategy works fine also in Africa and to some extent in Europe.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 11:40 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

I've had different experiences in Sarawak.

In lifts, it's about status. It's quite funny watching everyone work out who has higher status than them and who goes out first.

On roads, people do give way. Right hand lane is for straight ahead traffic at any speed, left hand lane for myvis, bikes, and those turning on or off allowing about 1km for them to get up to 40kph.

Signals are used.

Horn is never used except to say "watch out" and it is the briefest toot you can and should give. That said, offend the wrong guy, and you have an Iban with a machete and throat tats trying to smash in your windows.....
Old Apr 5th 2016, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Unlike all you lot I find Malaysian drivers very good and easy to deal with. There again I do live in singapore.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 11:53 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine

Horn is never used except to say "watch out" and it is the briefest toot you can and should give. That said, offend the wrong guy, and you have an Iban with a machete and throat tats trying to smash in your windows.....
This sounds very much like Phuket where horns are very rarely used. Driving is bonkers but polite. No anger. But on the rare occasion when tempers flared, a gun will come out, and sometimes used....yeh.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that Malay drivers have adopted and slightly modified the motto of the SAS.

HE WHO HESITATES LOOSES.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

I believe in India the law states..."He who blew his horn last caused the accident!"