British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Indian Summers drama (filmed in Penang) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/indian-summers-drama-filmed-penang-851920/)

bakedbean Feb 2nd 2015 5:42 am

Indian Summers drama (filmed in Penang)

Most expats in Penang will already know about this history drama which was filmed in Penang last year.

It's due to be shown on UK's Channel 4 from Sunday February 15th 2015 at 9pm UK time. I know there is a way to view these programmes but unfortunately I haven't the foggiest :o I'm sure some bright spark will remind me how you do it.

It's all about India in 1932 under the rule of the British and stars Julie Walters, as well as rather a lot of MM2Hers as extras :lol: It's going to be quite good fun seeing chums hamming it up on screen.

There's loads of write ups around the internet about it, but here's one from the Independent:
Julie Walters to star in new 10-part period drama Indian Summers on Channel 4 - News - TV & Radio - The Independent

Davita Feb 2nd 2015 6:03 am

Re: Indian Summers drama (filmed in Penang)

"It's all about India in 1932 under the rule of the British and stars Julie Walters."

Good lord....didn't know she was that old....I missed that movie coz wasn't born till 1937...:rofl: just kidding BB thanks for the notice...

Gotta get to the pirate DVD store and pick-up the DVD's of that series...should be there soon @ IDR10,000 (MYR3>)/disc with free disc every 10 bought.

InVinoVeritas Feb 2nd 2015 8:59 am

It's also on IMDB:-

Indian Summers (TV Mini-Series 2015) - IMDb

One interesting "did you know" is that Sparks Tailors in BF made many, if not most of the costumes. Ron has been making me jackets and shirts for sometime though not in quite the same style ;)

NeonHippy Feb 2nd 2015 9:35 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 11552704)
I know there is a way to view these programmes but unfortunately I haven't the foggiest :o I'm sure some bright spark will remind me how you do it.

I dare say there are free ways to do this but my son 'the geek' has advised me to sign up to https://www.unblock-us.com which will cost you $US 50 a year. You can then access vod in the UK & USA. One thing to watch out for is that 4od will need to to set your computer time to gmt. You will need to register for 4od as well but that is free.

If you want to try the free route google free vpn.

bakedbean Feb 2nd 2015 10:59 am

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 11552837)
It's also on IMDB:-

Indian Summers (TV Mini-Series 2015) - IMDb

One interesting "did you know" is that Sparks Tailors in BF made many, if not most of the costumes. Ron has been making me jackets and shirts for sometime though not in quite the same style ;)

That must've been quite a job for him.

InVinoVeritas Feb 2nd 2015 11:20 am

No, my order was quite small :rofl:

bakedbean Feb 2nd 2015 11:26 am

:rolleyes:

kingoflostfools Feb 2nd 2015 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 11552837)

Interesting - I'm off up to see Ron later on this week to get some new shirts made. The suits he did for me in 2012 are still perfect despite lots of hard wear in the Land of Cloggs.

JC3 Feb 17th 2015 10:41 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 11552704)
Most expats in Penang will already know about this history drama which was filmed in Penang last year.

It's due to be shown on UK's Channel 4 from Sunday February 15th 2015 at 9pm UK time. I know there is a way to view these programmes but unfortunately I haven't the foggiest....
There's loads of write ups around the internet about it, but here's one from the Independent:
Julie Walters to star in new 10-part period drama Indian Summers on Channel 4 - News - TV & Radio - The Independent

Here’s the first episode of Indian Summers if you haven’t seen it yet:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGkOmZMa77c

JC3

bakedbean Feb 17th 2015 12:00 pm

Well done JC3. I'll have a butchers at that this week.

InVinoVeritas Feb 18th 2015 3:46 am

Originally Posted by kingoflostfools (Post 11553162)
Interesting - I'm off up to see Ron later on this week to get some new shirts made. The suits he did for me in 2012 are still perfect despite lots of hard wear in the Land of Cloggs.

Saw Ron yesterday. He's miffed he is not in the credits for making all the male costumes. Shame, it would have made his year.

PoolieAbroad Feb 18th 2015 5:29 am

BB
Just to throw another idea or two in the pot........
I have used the following company now for 5 years with great success and support.

<<<snip>>>

It will give you an IP in the UK and open up all the various TV channels for you to watch.
Hola etc, as a free thing ,like most free things, can be unreliable.
This company is based in the UK although you can have access to many other countries for a bigger fee.......
Now this one for the UK is 4 pounds 97 p per month, no contract. If you don't like it no need to pay again.
I find it more convenient to pay annually now. (using PayPal)
I have used it in the 'old days' on business trips in almost 20 different countries on a lap top from hotel rooms to get my fix of Top Gear and other such vital TV!
I have set up an old CPU next to our TV now and as long as it has a half way decent graphics card you can enjoy your UK TV on whatever size TV you own.
Connected to your HI Fi and sometimes you think you are back in the UK.
I would never admit to doing it but you can watch much of the stuff live.
When we moved to Malaysia 3 years ago we found the speed even on this was struggling to stream especially in the evenings with high internet traffic
The kindly people in their support office helped me to set the computer in a way to get over 7Mbps even from the UK. ( the people that helped me were actually based in KL)
Streaming is a doddle now and we do not have UniFi here just the regular 8Mbps TM line
Also dump whatever modem TM left you with and buy a new one to replace it.
I have a personal preference for TPLink.
The advantage of being connected to the UK like this means you can search for the programmes you want and not just hear about things and watch them on Utube.
Nothing wrong with the Utube efforts of course but full access for us is much better.
Mrs Poolie gets Strictly, The Voice UK and all those other dreadful Saturday night Programmes.
We have access to BBC 1 2 3 4 ITV C4OD C5 on demand and apparently some others I don't bother with.
Free things will work but I personally prefer the long term fix and reliability.

bakedbean Jun 27th 2015 1:14 pm

Looks like Julie is back in town. One of my mates who is an extra, posted a pic on Facebook of Julie Walters and some other members of the cast at Sri Ananda Bhawan in Tg Bungah. Hope they enjoyed the curry.

PoolieAbroad Jun 27th 2015 1:30 pm

Great News! Really enjoyed the first series and looking forward to a new one next year.

BEVS Jul 3rd 2015 5:18 am

This series is on our NZ TV right now and we are enjoying this on a Sunday evening.