Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Importing car to Malaysia

Importing car to Malaysia

Old Sep 15th 2008, 11:24 am
Just Joined

mbcx4jrh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing car to Malaysia

Can anyone point me at usefull info on the rules/regs on importing a car (from UK) to malaysia. I'm only going to be there for 3 years so it will be temporary (if that helps)

Ive managed to find plenty of shippers and price of a roll-on roll-off seems to be around £780.
I'm assuming there will be costs on top of this once it gets to the other side.. can anyone advise?

thanks
joe
Old Sep 15th 2008, 10:07 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing car to Malaysia

Originally Posted by mbcx4jrh
Can anyone point me at usefull info on the rules/regs on importing a car (from UK) to malaysia. I'm only going to be there for 3 years so it will be temporary (if that helps)

Ive managed to find plenty of shippers and price of a roll-on roll-off seems to be around £780.
I'm assuming there will be costs on top of this once it gets to the other side.. can anyone advise?

thanks
joe
I think you need a permit similar to Singapore?

Last time my father in law brought a car across the car purchase was cheaper than the import cost.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
I think you need a permit similar to Singapore?

Last time my father in law brought a car across the car purchase was cheaper than the import cost.
I was going to import from UK to Singapore but that idea disappeared very quickly.

It might just be worthwhile for Malaysia, don't know, but why bother, if the company won't provide you with a car then try another company.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Let me clarify,

I will be on a temporary assignment to KL for 3 years. I don't wish to import a car per se, just bring it in with me and take it back when I leave.

My company is providing me a car, but I will require 2 (one for the OH).

I don't wish to sell my car, as I like it and I'll loose a lot of money since buying it in oct 07.

Is there anything I can do to get it into the country temporarily?
Old Sep 16th 2008, 10:26 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mbcx4jrh
Let me clarify,

I will be on a temporary assignment to KL for 3 years. I don't wish to import a car per se, just bring it in with me and take it back when I leave.

My company is providing me a car, but I will require 2 (one for the OH).

I don't wish to sell my car, as I like it and I'll loose a lot of money since buying it in oct 07.

Is there anything I can do to get it into the country temporarily?
What sort of car is it?

Who will you be working for in KL - what vocation are you in? - (don't worry about company if you want to keep it to yourself)

My parents are in Bangsar area.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Mercedes C320 Sports Coupe
I'm working in IT/Financial Services (Experian)
Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:12 am
Banned

elvinachua is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Joe,

my hubby intend to ship back our cars back from scotland to melaka last 3 months after being enquiry the shipping and forwared we both decided to buy it in malaysia.

for the shipping price from uk port to Johor Bahru /Port Klang port is about less then 1000 pound (depend the car itself).

The worse part is you need to pay the duty tax about 75% base on your car value invoice each car pricing.

please do ask your forwarder carefully what are the hidden cost you need to pay. before you seriously intended to bring over to malaysia.

hope this informat do help you.

elvinachua
Old Oct 13th 2008, 5:02 am
Just Joined

flamed2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeap, it will not be advisable for you to import your car to Malaysia as they will charge you a heft import duty, which could double the price of your car. Unless you are applying a visa like the Malaysian 2nd Home programme (which allows you to import a car), then it may end up too costly.

Plus your car may not be able to take the heat of this country!
Old Oct 15th 2008, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

asciii is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flamed2
Yeap, it will not be advisable for you to import your car to Malaysia as they will charge you a heft import duty, which could double the price of your car. Unless you are applying a visa like the Malaysian 2nd Home programme (which allows you to import a car), then it may end up too costly.

Plus your car may not be able to take the heat of this country!
totally true..taxes for import cars are high here. Reason for that is because there want to sell Malaysian cars..
Old Oct 16th 2008, 11:02 am
Account Closed

Motorboater is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder what the cost of a long term rental might be?
Couldnt match running around in the Merc with the soft top down however.