British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Hotel/Tourist Tax (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/hotel-tourist-tax-905405/)

WiredTight Nov 3rd 2017 3:42 am

Hotel/Tourist Tax

Has anyone experienced this new Tourist/Hotel tax while booking a hotel in MY as a MM2H holder ???
I'm wondering if I should bring a my MM2H paper work to show the hotel staff my exemption during hotel stays in MY.

"From September 1st, 2017, as per Government of Malaysia requirements, hotel guests who are not Malaysian citizens or long-term/permanent residents of Malaysia will be levied a tourism tax of RM 10.00 per room per night stay. Please note these changes in tax structure will result in revised taxes being charged and will be payable additionally during check out".

Any Thoughts ???

bakedbean Nov 3rd 2017 8:33 am

Re: Hotel/Tourist Tax

I've booked an overnighter at KLIA in mid December and the confirmation mentions I will be charged the tax separately. I have just made a note to wave my MM2H visa about when I check in. Will post on this thread after the event.

I am not expecting to get away with this. We all know that MM2H is not a permanent visa but let's see.

jonboy Nov 8th 2017 7:56 pm

I think there has always been a tourist tax in Malaysia. When I have tried to negotiate a better price than the advertised one, I've in the past been told it is because I am "not a local".
Perhaps this is a tax on top of that.

ssoomro Dec 11th 2017 4:33 am

it has been a hit an miss for me. I have negotiated exception from tourist tax at some hotels (SPG Group (Sheraton/Le Meridian/Aloft etc) are more friendly than smaller local (Hotel Sentral) establishments.

My advise, try to be polite and friendly, tell them you are here for good and have MM2H, negotiate this UP FRONT, not at the checkout time, because he/she has to do extra work to remove it etc.

Finally, if you get someone to remove it for you, SAVE THE HOTEL STAY FOLIO to show to the next place as proof you are not charged tourist tax ... Good luck

bakedbean Dec 11th 2017 4:39 am

That is very timely. I am staying down at KLIA tomorrow night so see what happens. Will post on here. Stay Polite :eek: right, got it :sneaky:

ssoomro Dec 11th 2017 5:34 am

I know BB.. Politeness is not my strong suite either (Its hard to keep the smile on my face with millions of minions not doing exactly as I say the first time) .. but learned from lack of positive results using my usual gruff exterior.. .granted 10 MYR is not a big sum (~ $2.5) .. but a funny thing that has happened to me since moving here.. i have started counting things in MYR .. instead of quickly converting them to US $ in my head...so a week's stay for two at 20 MYR a day adds up.. frighteningly high haha

Hovite Dec 12th 2017 5:06 am

Japan is getting in on the act, but not just for tourists - all travellers - https://japantoday.com/category/nati...on-jan.-7-2019 Just in time for the World Rugby finals and the Olympics

bakedbean Dec 12th 2017 7:38 am

Well i just got stung for 10 ringgits after a long discussion at reception amongst the staff. The lady was very sorry and said quietly that we could have a complementary breakfast tomorrow so i reckon we are quids in there.

Hovite Dec 13th 2017 8:20 am

:sneaky:BB, an idea. If it happens again, insist one a receipt and that it makes clear it is for the Tourist Tax. Maybe let them know you have been charged erroneously and that you can claim it back from the authorities.

eCdD Dec 16th 2017 2:43 am

Originally Posted by ssoomro (Post 12397542)
but a funny thing that has happened to me since moving here.. i have started counting things in MYR .. instead of quickly converting them to US $ in my head...

With me it is MYR 5 = one meal ;)

RM 20 means four Laksas :ohmy:

At the moment I am not in mood to stay overnight when visiting Penang, just drive home in the evening. But I will discuss this with our perferred hotel.

physdude Dec 25th 2017 2:55 pm

I couldn't escape the tourist tax at the Four Points in Penang last weekend despite a fair amount of conversation with the manager. Hopefully, I will have better luck next time.

bakedbean Dec 25th 2017 10:40 pm

What I have heard from others is that it was a grey area at the start. But now it is somewhat set in stone for MM2Hers. We pay.

man from emas Dec 29th 2017 12:36 pm

We were away few days over Christmas in Malaysia reasonable good hotel, also got hit for 10.myr per night, I was told the exception is based on Malaysian passport & I.C. colour.

Its odd its fixed @ 10.myr so if you are in a budget place @ 100. per night its 10% but if you stay super luxury its only around 1.% one would have thought it should be scaled to the room price ?

geedee Dec 29th 2017 3:17 pm

It's not just hotels it's "attractions" too where they charge a local price or a foreigner price.

I accuse them of being racist and watch them squirm, best RM 10 I ever spent.

ssoomro Jan 9th 2018 1:41 am

Originally Posted by geedee (Post 12406953)
It's not just hotels it's "attractions" too where they charge a local price or a foreigner price.

I accuse them of being racist and watch them squirm, best RM 10 I ever spent.

This one really gets my goat (diff price for locals vs foreigners), it seems like a retarded policy... A poor ticket counter person at KL tower had to listen to my rant about it ...when she could not explain the reason the price is different (my suggestion ..foreigners are fatter so they use up the lift bearings... foreigners steal the views and take them to their home country etc)..

I understand the idea of generating tourism income..but in general tourists from wealthy countries will support costlier options (hotels/restaurants etc)... charging double price is just poor policy and not very welcoming thing.

Ok its bloody rotten... :(