Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Hopefully my last Visa Thread

Hopefully my last Visa Thread

Old Apr 16th 2013, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Hopefully my last Visa Thread

Ok, this might sound daft, but.... how big is the 90 Day Social Visit Visa when put in your passport? Is it like some that take a whole page? Is it a (sensible) separate sheet stapled in (like the Canada Work Permit?) or is it just a teensie weensie stamp that'll fit on less than half a page?
While I'm at it, same goes for the Singapore Employment Pass (dependents "stamp").
Thank you!
Old Apr 16th 2013, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hopefully my last Visa Thread

Originally Posted by geedee
Ok, this might sound daft, but.... how big is the 90 Day Social Visit Visa when put in your passport? Is it like some that take a whole page? Is it a (sensible) separate sheet stapled in (like the Canada Work Permit?) or is it just a teensie weensie stamp that'll fit on less than half a page?
While I'm at it, same goes for the Singapore Employment Pass (dependents "stamp").
Thank you!
Hi Geedee,
It used to be a rectangular stamp on arrival and a triangular exit stamp. When I arrived last month, it was the same rectangular stamp but this time there was an additional sticker, with a tear-off part (presumably they tear that off on departure, but I'm not sure). The stamp says "Permitted to enter and remain in West Malaysia and Sabah for ninety (90) days on social visit only from the date shown above."

The one thing I've noticed about Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand is that they like to try to keep the entry and exit stamps close together, and they also try to maximise the space on a page. i.e. they will usually leave enough room to get at least 3 entry & exit stamps on the one page...... unlike other countries (in particular, the U.S. and U.K.) where I've noticed you'll get 1 per page if you are lucky!
Old Apr 16th 2013, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Bluenose1.

So, would I be right in thinking that this rectangle stamp would fit on half a page or less? Is the "tear off" bit around the same size? You might have guessed, one of our passports is pretty full, and, without going into the reasons, we may not have time to get it renewed.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 2:42 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

It should be OK.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
Thank you Bluenose1.

So, would I be right in thinking that this rectangle stamp would fit on half a page or less? Is the "tear off" bit around the same size? You might have guessed, one of our passports is pretty full, and, without going into the reasons, we may not have time to get it renewed.
As BB says, you should be o.k. The rectangular stamp will definitely fit on less than half a page. When I had mine done, the tear off bit (that is atucally stuck on the page), is quite small (probably no more than 1/2 the size of the rubber stamp) and the rubber stamp was placed partially over it. As I suggested, most of the immigration officers (at KLIA anyway) seem to take more care where they put the stamp.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi geedee

Yes the stamp isn't very big and won't require more than half a page. I don't know what the tear off bit is that some of the others have mentioned as you don't get that when you go back and forth between Singapore and Johor.

Should mention though that the MACS pass does require a full page and your kids will also require another full page for their student visas.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks all again.

Isn't it odd, that in these days of swipe cards for everything, an important document like a passport is rendered useless when its pages are filled up?
I travel quite a bit, and never once had a passport for the full term. They've always filled up years before expiry. It's even worse now you can no longer get the old "Jumbo" Uk passport.

Canada's getting there.... I stick my credit card sized Permanent Residency Card into what looks like a cashpoint kiosk at immigration, and that's it! The UK is getting there too, with these weirdo biometric scanners at immigration. Still, no daft ink stamps on bits of paper!!

Having said that, a passport does come in useful for proving where you've been!
Old Apr 17th 2013, 5:51 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I think the MACS card, for those travelling regularly Singapore-Johor, works in that way, avoiding stamps in passport. There used to be something, iKad I think, for MM2Hers but that disappeared unfortunately.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks again. What about the Singapore Employment Pass... and the Dependent's passes.... do they go in the passport too... if so, how big? I'd ask on the S'pore forum but it seems pretty quiet there.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

They are cards geedee. Credit card sized. You have to carry them at all times as you need them for just about everything. Even booking cinema tickets online!
Old Apr 18th 2013, 6:40 am

When I had my Singapore EP, it was also stamped in the passport, as well as the card. This was back in 2005 so maybe things have changed?? Maybe Bocat can confirm? It would have taken half a page of my passport except they did a balls up and gave me a Dependants pass initially, which they then had to delete.... so.... took up one whole page Singapore not always so efficient.