Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

The historic vessel Vega

The historic vessel Vega

Old Nov 27th 2015, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The historic vessel Vega

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I'm sure you are right, oh wise one
It's elementary my dear IVV...
Old Dec 14th 2015, 7:37 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

What an exciting morning I've had

Thought I'd pop down to Straits Quay and see if the Vega had arrived. It had. Apparently at 2am on the high tide.

It really is a fabulous looking vessel.

While admiring the vessel, I spotted the skipper's partner on board and gave her a wave. Actually she doesn't know me but I've seen so many photos on their Facebook page. Anyway they presumably are used to strange folks waving at them, as she jumped off the vessel and came and opened up the high-security gate at SQ and I toddled off down the SQ gang-plank with her.

Would I like to come on board.... she says, while she agilely hops over the gunnels. I had one of those Senior Moment reality checks. Could I actually hop over the edge of the vessel without falling plop into Straits Quay? So I declined. I know.....I am so pathetic

We had a little natter and the skipper came and joined in the chit-chit.

They are in Penang for something like a month, though will be moving down the island to the shipyard to get some repairs done later. Shane, the skipper, said they would be having an "Open House" probably from the 18th, where they'll be selling some of the wares they have accumulated from around the spice islands...... Spices obviously, coffee beans and more.

So, do go and take a look at the vessel at least. It's berthed right at the end of the marina. The Sea Queen Restaurant end. Anyway, you cannot miss it.
Old Dec 14th 2015, 12:59 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Just reading that it was a bit of a hairy berthing waiting for a 2.8 metre high tide in the early hours as the vessel has a draft of 2.5 metres....eek.
Old Dec 14th 2015, 1:06 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

I think if BB disappears from Penang on the 18th then we can safely assume that she has stowed away somewhere on the Vega
Old Dec 14th 2015, 1:14 pm

Nah I'm a dry land kind of gal. But it is a gorgeous vessel
Old Dec 14th 2015, 1:39 pm
Now a MM2Her.

Scuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread. Once I am retired do you think they would be interested in volunteer crew, paying my own way? I'll need something to satisfy my adventurous streak and that sort of trip sounds ideal.

ST
Old Dec 14th 2015, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Just reading that it was a bit of a hairy berthing waiting for a 2.8 metre high tide in the early hours as the vessel has a draft of 2.5 metres....eek.
What happens when the tide recedes....will the boat topple over?...
Old Dec 14th 2015, 2:10 pm

I imagine they would . But then you would not need MM2H if permanently afloat
Old Dec 14th 2015, 4:15 pm
Now a MM2Her.

Scuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't thinking of being permanently afloat BB, but one round trip should be doable. I'll follow it up when we have firm date for the big move. I'm now checking out their FB page. Fascinating stuff, thanks for introducing us all to it.
Old Dec 14th 2015, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm not thinking of any visa requirements..... more about spilling my cocktail as the boat keeled.
Old Dec 14th 2015, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Davita
more about spilling my cocktail as the boat keeled.
Yeh, how does that work in marinas? I really don't know. They are tied up now...obviously. I guess it just "stays" grounded while the tide is out?

I saw a pic online of what looked like a very nice wooden snug bar on board
Old Dec 15th 2015, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh, how does that work in marinas? I really don't know. They are tied up now...obviously. I guess it just "stays" grounded while the tide is out?

I saw a pic online of what looked like a very nice wooden snug bar on board
Tee hee, I hope they have left some slack in the ropes. As a young boy we had a holiday cruising the Norfolk Briads. My father and elder brother had both served in the merchant navy yet managed to tie up the cruiser at Lowestoft at high tide while we went sight seeing. When we returned at low tide the cruiser was hanging high and dry by its mooring ropes!
Old Dec 15th 2015, 8:32 am

Copying and pasting from their FB page:

If you are in Penang, Malaysia between the 18th and the 27th of December we will be holding open house on board Vega at the Marina at Straits Quay. Always welcome to see the boat and meet her crazy crew.
unquote
Old Dec 18th 2015, 7:50 am

Oh dear....got caught up in a media scrum on board the Vega today. Wasn't actually aware that there was so much media in Penang.

Anyway, here's what I bought.....
Attached Thumbnails The historic vessel Vega-vega-5-book-mace.jpg  
Old Dec 18th 2015, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Wow BB you bought 'Mace'...I don't want to be around you when you get angry. I carry a small container of pepper spray to chase the dogs here but that big bag of 'Mace' would surely blind an elephant.....

Stupid me used the spray on a dog-gang recently but misjudged the wind....boy does that stuff sting...the dogs 'i think' laughed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.