Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Hi to the forum - newbie moving to KL

Hi to the forum - newbie moving to KL

Old Jan 27th 2012, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

JackKL is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Hi to the forum - newbie moving to KL

Hi all, just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

I'm moving to KL with my Mrs - LivKL - in March and very excited about the move! I'm joining PWC leading a consulting team, so a big move in more ways than one.

A little about me - well, I'm 34 and married to LivKL for the last two years, no kids (yet!).

what do I like doing - most sports, skiing is my absolute fave but not much hope of snow in KL!, also football, rock climbing, diving, tennis & squash. I LOVE food - a major draw for me moving to KL, and also passionate about wine. I'm WSET (wine quals) qualified and intend to start a wine/food blog (although I know wine is expensive! ). I love travelling and can't wait to use KL as a base to travel round the region.

I'm going to be based in KL Sentral so we're looking at Bangsar as possible place to live

Will be posting more in the coming days and weeks.

Nice to 'meet' you - perhaps will get a chance to meet face to face at some point!

cheers
JackKL
Old Jan 28th 2012, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

aprilgirl1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hi to the forum - newbie moving to KL

Welcome to KL
Old Jan 29th 2012, 5:01 am
Just Joined

wayne1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
If you love wine then check out Cold storage supermarket in Mont Kiara evry so often they have a wine fair, you get to try any wine before you buy, also free beer, food as much as you want. Warning booze is not cheap here!
Rm90 to RM120 for decent bottle of wine.
Enjoy your stay
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:17 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

You have to know where to buy it to get the good deals. I have a great wine wholesaler who delivers to me. Excellent wines for around 60-70rm a bottle. Coming from Australia this is still bloody expensive but more palatable than what they charge at the supermarkets.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks fo the welcome all!

yes I've heard that Cold Storage has a decent, if expensive selection and that wholesalers are worth checking out.

AJW - who is it you use for delivery?

I also read from our Explorer Series, KL: The Complete Residents' Guide that www.wineclub.com is good too for deliveries.

Certainly keen to suss out the wine scene!
Old Jan 31st 2012, 12:12 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wayne1978
Hi
If you love wine then check out Cold storage supermarket in Mont Kiara evry so often they have a wine fair, you get to try any wine before you buy, also free beer, food as much as you want. Warning booze is not cheap here!
Rm90 to RM120 for decent bottle of wine.
Enjoy your stay
Oh dear... I only pay about RM 30 a bottle for my plonk
Old Feb 1st 2012, 3:41 am
ajw

ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

JackKL, I have sent you a PM with details.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 3:45 am
ajw

Just had my delivery, Amongst other things I picked up a case of Enzed Marlborough Sauv Blanc for 35rm a bottle. This retails for 7 pounds in the UK so seems about right. A nice 'everyday' wine
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 4:41 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Oh dear... I only pay about RM 30 a bottle for my plonk
Ah - a girl who knows a bargain when she sees one.
Sorry to say in the presence of some of the wine buffs.... but most of it tastes the same to me ! P'raps that's why I'm a G n T kinda gal..

Dread - x
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 8:09 am
Just Joined

AJW - thanks so much very useful!

BakedBean - LivKL has told me about you so nice to meet you!

DreadSoc - shame shame you know your name. You'll have to join the wine club I want to set up and we can sort out that palate!
Old Feb 24th 2012, 4:03 am
Just Joined

dolaprenuer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi dude. I'm happy for you. a few years back they had surfing in sunway lagoon. you can go and check the place out when your there. The only period for surfing in malaysia on the coast is from january to march on East coast near cherating which is not far from club med. Another place you might want to check out Sepang gold coast has some pretty good beaches. and according to my father reminded him of many of the attractions of the coast of the main beach towns in the uk. But of course the wonderful thing about malaysia is the food and the variety of seafood is fantastic. Satay is cheap. But when all is said and done you still cant live as a tourist on a malaysia salary unless your a consultant for mnc therefore what to a tourist satay is dirt cheap. to a expat it isnt so much.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 4:19 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Be sure your wine supplier keeps his stocks temperature-controlled, or you'll find a lot of wine is off before you even get it home. A problem I found with Cold Storage unless they had a cold room, and a lot of them in Singapore did not, at least when I was there a few years ago.

Obviously you know far more than I do about wine (I know what I like to drink, and that's about it) but wine fridges are a must, IMHO, if you intend to store much wine. Cheaper solution - buy it, drink it
Old Feb 24th 2012, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

Hi all and thanks for the enthusiastic welcomes and info about wine!

We have successfully drunk a lot here in the UK already and am storing the rest in the UK before we fly out.

I think drinking before storing is a good suggestion! I may well invest in something temperature controlled - I certainly don't want even mediocre wine going off in the humidity!

Cheers
JackKL
Old Feb 26th 2012, 5:22 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Be sure your wine supplier keeps his stocks temperature-controlled, or you'll find a lot of wine is off before you even get it home. A problem I found with Cold Storage unless they had a cold room, and a lot of them in Singapore did not, at least when I was there a few years ago.
I've not found that in Penang. Cold Storage in Island Plaza and Gurney Plaza both seem to have a little bit of aircon.