British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Help!! Scotsman wants to live and work in Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/help-scotsman-wants-live-work-malaysia-697371/)

James_Jim_orJimmy Dec 18th 2010 6:00 am

Help!! Scotsman wants to live and work in Malaysia

Hello All

My wife and I would like to do as above in Malysia, applied for jobs recently but no replies as yet. I have read the threads regards visa's etc. and cost of living and believe there is room for 2 more but need assisance if available?

I have over 30 years experience in construction & management as well as business development skills Have B.TEC & diploma in Finance. My wife is Polish and has masters degree (economics) BA in accountancy and majored in hotel management.

Would appreciate any help in Where,How and If, from people with local knowledge and experience. Thanks in anticipation.... JC

ex reg Dec 18th 2010 7:02 am

Re: Help!! Scotsman wants to live and work in Malaysia

You haven't got a hope in 'ells chance.
Especially if you don't know how to post in the correct forum:rofl::eek:

James_Jim_orJimmy Dec 18th 2010 7:28 am

Hello Ex Reg

Thanks for the reply at least one... Sorry not getting you? Have I done something silly?:confused:

bakedbean Dec 18th 2010 7:37 am

Ex Reg, you naughty man :lol:

Hey Jimmy, I think Ex Reg is referring to the fact that there's a separate sub-forum for Malaysia under Far East. New forums are a bit confusing, aren't they, then you get these sarcastic buggers making fun ;) I'll see if I can get one of the Concierges to move this thread to Malaysia sub-forum.

I live in Malaysia but not a clue about the construction industry nor work for that matter. I am early-retired. I would imagine that most companies would be looking for Malaysian citizens? But best of luck with your research.

James_Jim_orJimmy Dec 18th 2010 7:42 am

Thanks Bakedbean I appreciate the reply and clarification will endeavour to fix if poss and if you already have? Then many thanks just an oversight.

Ex Reg new to this stuff and obviously missed that bit out but you get the jist...

ex reg Dec 18th 2010 6:14 pm

Much as I liked working in Malaysia, and I did, I enjoyed HK more, and not just because the dosh was that much better.

Construction jobs in Malaysia are there but difficult to find unless a UK company is involved.

There is some double tracking of the main NS railway line if you like railway work, I did. Even if you don't you might try railpersonel.com for a a range of jobs in the FE and ME.

Balfour Beatty are involved in some construction work in the region so you could give them a ring.
A few other companies you might try after googling addresses etc are:
Gammon HK
Sui On HK
Gammon Singapore (diff company to the one above these days but same name)
Leighton Construction an Australian company involved in the FE region.

A few others would normally come to mind but watching the Heineken Cup and imbibing a few so the memory is not quite what it was.

bakedbean Dec 19th 2010 1:41 am

Jimmy/James, looks like it's only Mods who can shift threads so I'm going to hit that little alert button in the corner and see if someone can shift it. Anyhow, Ex Reg put some good info there :) Best of luck :fingerscrossed:

James_Jim_orJimmy Dec 19th 2010 3:15 am

To Ex Reg and BakedBean

Thanks to both of you guys for the info and allowing a novice to try out on these sites. will keep it up because it's. I believe, a good thing and helpful to me and I hopefully others. BB thanks for trying, I will be more careful next time I set up a thread . Ex Reg I will indeed check out the contacts and give an udate when I can

Many thanks guys.
:fingerscrossed: