British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Help in Penang... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/help-penang-772999/)

akee Sep 27th 2012 10:04 pm

Help in Penang...

Hi! i am a local Penangite... Do you need pointers on where to stay, where to get stuff, things to do or places to eat especially the tasty spots at the nooks and cracks? Maybe you can ask and I'll do my best to point you to the right place... :D

bakedbean Sep 28th 2012 8:05 am

Re: Help in Penang...

That's very nice of you. Are you selling something? ;)

I cannot think of anything offhand at the moment, but that's a nice gesture. I'm into my third year here in Penang so know where most things are that I want and need. But maybe someone else will have a question or two for you.....

akee Sep 28th 2012 2:39 pm

Hmmm... You want to buy something? ;)

bakedbean Sep 29th 2012 8:49 am

Dunno... what have you got? A nice bottle of Chianti or Bardolino off the back of a boat at reasonable cost would go down very nicely.

akee Sep 29th 2012 10:38 am

Hmmm Red wine is not part of Penang drinks. Here would be most probably Kopi O or some rare Chinese tea... If you would like to try that, I have a friend who will be opening a tea place soon. I will inform you when it happens.

Probably for now, I have friend who has a home stay place or if you would like to purchase properties etc. :)

Some other stuff would be a place to purchase food stuff like pineapple tarts or baked pork paos... :)

ajw Sep 29th 2012 3:24 pm

Haha, not sure Kopi O is a viable alternative to Chianti.... Would sure save you some money tho Bakedbean!

akee Sep 30th 2012 7:15 am

I believe it is the acquired taste. Here most locals (at least the ones I know) would go for that over red wine... :)

ajw Sep 30th 2012 7:54 am

Whereas most expats would go for the wine. Thus Bakedbeans question.

bakedbean Sep 30th 2012 8:09 am

Originally Posted by akee (Post 10305661)
Hmmm Red wine is not part of Penang drinks.

I don't think that is true. You can buy in the supermarkets... Italian wines a bit too expensive for me here...but you can get a half-decent Cab Sav from Chile or Oz for around RM 30. A lot of eateries sell by the glass too. In the foodcourts, you can generally take along a bottle of wine and negotiate a price for a bucket of ice. I usually go for lime juice in the foodcourts though.

Yup I drink kopi-O kosong too ;)

Pineapple tarts and pork pies? No thank you.

Purchase property? Already done that and have a good local agent already, thanks.

ajw Sep 30th 2012 8:44 am

(QUOTE) In the foodcourts, you can generally take along a bottle of wine and negotiate a price for a bucket of ice.

-------Great idea! I'll have to remember this. Is taking your own glasses considered OTT do you think? ;-)

bakedbean Sep 30th 2012 9:58 am

They'll provide some glasses. I think some friends paid RM 3 for a bucket of ice. Think of it as a kind of corkage fee ;)

ajw Sep 30th 2012 10:14 am

3rm I can live with. Some of the restaurants here ask for 30rm + for corkage! :ohmy:

Davita Sep 30th 2012 1:13 pm

Thinking of corkage reminds me to thank all Australians for inventing the screw cap wine bottle....no more need to get the waiter to open the bottle.
I usually bring 2 bottles in a special wine pack...I put one on the table and the waiter nods to me that I'll pay a fee...I smile and agree.
As soon as we finish one bottle I surreptitiously swop with another and keep smiling...happy to pay for one.
I'm a really cunning Scot.:thumbsup:

akee Oct 2nd 2012 4:49 am

The rm3 is just to cover the cost of the ice. Alcoholic beverages and those associated like those are taxed more here... :)

ajw Oct 2nd 2012 5:06 am

Yes Akee I'm very much aware of the taxation on alcohol here as is anyone who lives or holidays here. We were talking about bringing our own alchohol, wine etc to food courts and restaurants and paying a 'corkage' charge.