British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Help! Moving to KL in September (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/help-moving-kl-september-724376/)

Tina37 Jul 10th 2011 8:12 pm

Help! Moving to KL in September

Please help me!!! My husband has got a job in KL. Fingers crossed moving with children age 12 and 8. Applying to Garden School and Alice Smith. If anyone has any comments about these schools AND/OR areas that are good for families to live than I would be SOOOOOOO grateful for your comments. If you're in KL and have kids of this age I would love to chat with you. Sounds a great place to live and raise a family.:thumbsup::heart::lightbulb:

Sue Jul 10th 2011 8:23 pm

Re: Help! Moving to KL in September

Hi Tina,

Welcome to BE. I've taken the liberty of moving your thread straight to our Malaysia forum for you. I can't help with your questions I'm afraid as I am in the US but I know that our great members who use the Malaysia forum will be along soon to give you some tips.

Congratulations on your upcoming adventure and I hope that you will enjoy your new life abroad as well as being a member here.

If you get stuck on anything site wise please don't hesitate to give me a shout.

Sue

bakedbean Jul 11th 2011 2:30 am

Hi Tina. Have a good browse through the Malaysia forum topics. There's a fair few threads about schools and KL on here, and some forum folks are in KL. Happy planning :)

ajw Jul 14th 2011 10:59 am

Hi Tina

I have been in KL for just over a year now with 2 children also- 4.5 years and 16 months. We really enjoy being here and the eldest will be starting at Alice Smith school in September. Both the Garden School and AS have very good reputations. Keep in mind that the AS secondary school is located a little out of town while the Garden School is closer to the centre in Mont Kiara. The schools here provide good bus services, so this may no be an issue for you. In terms of areas to live, this might depend on where your husband works or where your children end up going to school. We live in the Bangsar area and love it; its a hub for shopping, eating, entertainment has its own supermarkets and is very popular with expats. There is also Damansara Heights, Sri Hartamas and Mont Kiara which are also popular for expats. English is very widely spoken so its an easier place to live in Asia than some others where the language barrier might be a problem.

Syed.A.Mehdi Jul 19th 2011 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Tina37 (Post 9487010)
Please help me!!! My husband has got a job in KL. Fingers crossed moving with children age 12 and 8. Applying to Garden School and Alice Smith. If anyone has any comments about these schools AND/OR areas that are good for families to live than I would be SOOOOOOO grateful for your comments. If you're in KL and have kids of this age I would love to chat with you. Sounds a great place to live and raise a family.:thumbsup::heart::lightbulb:

Hi Tina,

Most expats live in areas like Damansara Heights, Mont Kiara and Bangsar. Depending on where your Husband will be working you may choose the nearest area. All three here are equally good areas. If you are keen on getting your kids into Garden International then I would suggest you to look for a place in Mont Kiara as it will be close to the school and you wouldn't have to worry about getting stuck in traffic jam. Generally the traffic is terrible in that area during peak hours. Alice Smith is a good choice too as it is in the city and you could easily find a place to live not very far from the school. Most Alice Smith teachers are British so you may want to consider this given that you're coming from the UK. Also, if at all you're interested I could introduce you to someone who can help you find a place in these areas.

Good Luck with your move.

Best,
Syed A Mehdi

I can help you find a house near Alice Smith if you are interested do let me know.

Thanks.

honeybee Jul 21st 2011 2:05 pm

Tina, all the posts above about the schools and locations are very useful. Experience has taught me that it is easier if you live near the school (you will meet other mothers there) and let your husband do the commuting. You should also look up the Association of British Women in Malaysia (ABWM) when you get here, a bunch of British women who will help you settle in more easily with coffee mornings etc. Just google as they have a website. The ABWM house is located in Bangsar.

All the best for you new posting!

joamelie Jul 25th 2011 1:36 am

Hi Tina,
We have been out here for 8 months now and although British our daughter (nearly 7) is going to AISM, the Australian school. We tried to get into Alice Smith but her year group was full, so apply early! Both schools have very good reputations but both have drawbacks too. As someone else mentiones Alice Smith secondary school is out of town, but they do have a bus service. GIS is in Mont Kiara and the traffic is terrible...we visited the school and decided it just wasn't practical! Where will you husband be working....it's generally good to live not too far away as the traffic can be heavy!
Good luck with the move!
Jo

nonthaburi Jul 26th 2011 8:00 am

good luck with your move. hope it all works out for you.