Have you learnt Malay?

Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you learnt Malay?

Originally Posted by jonboy
I have found that it is not that I have been mis-understood when I ask for an item in a shop, it is that they do not have the exact item but may have a similar item and instead of disappointing me by saying they do not have the item originally asked for they proffer the alternative.
So I ask for a pair of shoes in a certain style, size 9 in brown and when they are brought to me I see a pair of size 5 in black. I point this out to the assistant as being size 5 and not size 9 and is black in colour and not brown as I had requested. The assiastant replies "that is correct sir".

The point being, that I have not been told that they do not have, what I want, as that would be like saying "No" to a customer and therefore lose the customer and lose "face" into the bargain.
Very frustrating for us westeners who like a direct answer but supposedly "face" saving for all concerned.
Of course I may be wrong, it is just my interpretation

Best reards

jonboy
Some truth there. Perhaps more relevant with dealings with the Chinese though.
Found Malays rather more relaxed in saying they don't know or haven't got and the like.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Some truth there. Perhaps more relevant with dealings with the Chinese though.
Found Malays rather more relaxed in saying they don't know or haven't got and the like.
Another experience was buying a suitcase in a shopping mall. I had decided on the one I wanted and the price was attractive, so I asked the sales lady if she thought it was robust? Her reply "depends on your luck lah!".
I felt this said a lot, with out commitment on the part of the vendor. I guess just a local version of buyer beware. I still have the case 10 years on and have been lucky so far.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:52 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stranded traveller
You might right bakedbeanSo, early correction Sawadi-kar...khap?

just wanna sharing something with you here, actually learning others languages always am facsinating about,not much...at least I can speak in general like how are you- good morning-good night-and some love words thingsdon't laugh

so far I have a few words that I confident to say if this people around me,
Arabic, Italian, Thais..off course English

how about you?
Took me four years to gain what I would call a good degree of fluency in speaking Thai. I'm now in the position where I can do anthing I want to in Thai which is great. No relying on other people for help and it's always good to know what is going on around you. I sort of think that not knowing the language of the country you are in means that you are " watching a DVD with the sound down " if you catch my drift.
Biggest downside to all this has to be when you realise that the girl you though was so sweet has a mouth like a sewer and the guy you thought was a good mate has been calling you a c@#$ for years etc etc. Love the eavesdropping on Thais when they think you don't know what they are saying. It's amazing how much Thais think it's impossible for a foreigner to learn Thai.
Also wish my children sopke more English with me ( working on that ) but because they know I understand they get lazy.
Have very strange ( to an observer) conversations with my wife where we both speak our respective languages. So anyone listening only gets one half of it.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:55 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
No... leave off the khap completely unless you are a man

My only fluent language is English I'm afraid. Did French for years at school and never could master it. Bits and pieces of Thai and German. My Greek was quite good at one time, but forget most of it now. Having a little go at Malay. I think it'll be useful here.
But it does happen sometimes that a woman might say kap if she was speaking to a man and a lot of gay men say ka too.

As I'm sure you know there are a lot of gender confused people in Thailand.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 8:00 am

Malay is just one of many hobbies and it's going fine. Can eavesdrop a little bit now. Was able to tell a Malay in the Pos Office that they were queue jumping Saya pertama (I'm first) heh heh. Yeh I'm sure i could pay someone but I don't want a commitment right now (other things going on right now) and in any case so many people I can practice on for free :-) it's Judy a half serious hobby.

BTW referring to a previous posting re -kah. It's used for emphasis. Eg Di mana tandas... Equals... Where's the toilet?

Di manakah tandas .... Equals... WHERE is the toilet (like emergency) LOL
exactly the sort of time when it's great to know the lingo. Queue jumpers. I'm sure a lot of the time they do it because they think they can get away with it as you can't say anything back. I normally say something like " didn't you see me waiting here ? " or the classic " there is a queue you know ! "
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:25 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi

As I'm sure you know there are a lot of gender confused people in Thailand.
Yup, for sure, but isn't that one of the best things about Thailand that all these diverse mixed-gender folks can just be what they are, and no-one bats an eyelid. It's just accepted. Last week, we went into a Phuket bank to check some exchange rates and the lady at the counter looked up and she had a full moustache Just love it.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, for sure, but isn't that one of the best things about Thailand that all these diverse mixed-gender folks can just be what they are, and no-one bats an eyelid. It's just accepted. Last week, we went into a Phuket bank to check some exchange rates and the lady at the counter looked up and she had a full moustache Just love it.
Always good to be in an accepting society. Penang used to have a lot of mixed/trans gender folk around the centre.
Chulia Street and there abouts was a bit of a hangout for them.

Back on subject have searched and found and dusted down my Malay language books.
Haven't really looked them for many years but my interest has been aroused again thanks to these threads.
Next step will be top open and revise.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

optimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant future

Just had it confirmed, I start my Malay language lessons on Wednesday, 1.5hrs everyday for most days before I fly out in mid July, so I'll be fluent by then! Well, I at least want to get a few useful phrases and basic understanding of everyday stuff to get me by whilst I get the best lessons free, actually mingling with the locals!

Do you think I'll get the chance to speak and learn my Malay or will they generally speak English to me, even though it'll be obviously I'm trying to speak their language?
Old Jun 7th 2011, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by optimistic_jim
Just had it confirmed, I start my Malay language lessons on Wednesday, 1.5hrs everyday for most days before I fly out in mid July, so I'll be fluent by then! Well, I at least want to get a few useful phrases and basic understanding of everyday stuff to get me by whilst I get the best lessons free, actually mingling with the locals!

Do you think I'll get the chance to speak and learn my Malay or will they generally speak English to me, even though it'll be obviously I'm trying to speak their language?
I wanted to learn Malay in London in 1980,already had the basics, but the only place where Malay was taught cancelled due to low enrollments and was placed into an Indonesian class instead.
Never the less rather similar and a good preperation for when living in Malaysia.

As for using Malay,I used to find that the Chinese would only speak Malay if had no English and especially amoung the older folk a rather broken Malay at that.

Imagine these days almost all would speak it well but still suspect you would find it easier in more Malay areas to find folk to speak with than for example Penang Island.

Always found Malay folk very helpful when attempting to learn the language,which makes for a lot of fun and little stress.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 5:06 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

You're probably right, Troubadour.

Hey Nonthaburi, shall we split off our "off topic" posts about Thai to a new Have you learnt Thai thread in Thailand sub-forum? What d'ya think? I might have to dust off the Concierge manual
Old Jun 7th 2011, 5:11 am

You're probably right, Troubadour.

Hey Nonthaburi, shall we split off our "off topic" posts about Thai to a new Have you learnt Thai thread in Thailand sub-forum? What d'ya think? I might have to dust off the Concierge manual
Dunno really, it's pretty quiet in there. Not many takers.

Learning a language in another country , it's all the same sort of stuff you deal with wherever you are really I think.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

optimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant future

Daily Malay lessons, good fun but pretty intense and oh my god my brain aches! It's starting to get a little better, now I know why they sometimes repeat words like jalan-jalan and things like the order of words in sentences, but I still can't figure out why they have multiple ways of saying the exact same thing!

Still, I think it'll be worth it, however does anyone have any tips on where to go to really get the practise in when I'm in and around Kuala Lumpur as I'm concerned that most citizens there will speak English. Should I spend time talking to stallholders in the markets for instance, or strike up conversation at hawker stands?

I'm OK with just going and finding my own way but if anyone has any tips as to the best way to immerse myself in the language and culture without going off the beaten track too much then please pray tell

Terima kesih
Old Jun 13th 2011, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by optimistic_jim
Daily Malay lessons, good fun but pretty intense and oh my god my brain aches! It's starting to get a little better, now I know why they sometimes repeat words like jalan-jalan and things like the order of words in sentences, but I still can't figure out why they have multiple ways of saying the exact same thing!

Still, I think it'll be worth it, however does anyone have any tips on where to go to really get the practise in when I'm in and around Kuala Lumpur as I'm concerned that most citizens there will speak English. Should I spend time talking to stallholders in the markets for instance, or strike up conversation at hawker stands?

I'm OK with just going and finding my own way but if anyone has any tips as to the best way to immerse myself in the language and culture without going off the beaten track too much then please pray tell

Terima kesih
get a sleeping dictionary ! that method of imersion learning has probably stood the test of time .

Seriously though, just try to refuse to speak English when dealing with people. It will seem a bit strange because the other person will want to speak English with you but they will probably help you out with pronunciation and stuff when they see you're making the effort. Either that or they then speak really fast a load of stuff you don't understand. All good fun though. Have fun !
Old Jun 13th 2011, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Jim only a few older ones speak malinglish in KL. If you want English, go to older towns like Ipoh or Penang. In KL you can practice your Malay ( and Indonesian) just about everywhere.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 2:46 am

I muttered a few words in Malay at some Malay workers in the lift of the condo that we are buying at yesterday, which resulted in a shocked look followed by a fit of giggles. I'm hoping it was the shock of white woman speaking Malay, rather than pronunciation, but it was good fun. Practice, practice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.