British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Have you had enough of Lion Dances yet? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/have-you-had-enough-lion-dances-yet-703848/)

bakedbean Feb 5th 2011 2:51 am

Have you had enough of Lion Dances yet?

:lol: Dunno how many more I can take. I'm wondering is there some difference depending on what day the Lion Dance is held? I mean, is it different if there's one on Day 3 of CNY and one on Day 5 of CNY. Does it mean different things? regards, Clueless in Penang.

columbine Feb 5th 2011 6:27 am

Re: Have you had enough of Lion Dances yet?

Not really interested in the regular silly Lion Dances done by amateurs no matter what the day is :frown:
But, those really good ones by semi-professionals is some thing different where they balance atop tall poles and coordinate together jumping from poles to poles. Then each group will have a different routine.
How about some diversions below :sneaky:

This evening Feb 5th at QSide:
7pm there'll be one 'Acrobatic Lion Dance on Stilts'
8pm Chinese Mask Changing Performance

Tomorrow Feb 6th at QSide:
7pm 24 Thundering Drums Performance
8pm Chinese Acrobatic & Balancing Performance*

Feb12:
7pm Chinese Acrobatic & Balancing Performance*
8pm Maxis Chingay Performance

Feb 13th:
7pm Chinese YoYo Performance
8pm Chinese Cultural Dance

Feb 17th Chap Goh Meh Celebration (15th day of CNY is the last day)
8pm-11pm @ The Waterfront

:D

bakedbean Feb 5th 2011 8:01 am

Well thank you :)

There was one going on at our condo foyer today. We didn't go down but we sure could hear the banging reverberating up the airwell :frown::thumbdown:

bakedbean Feb 8th 2011 8:19 am

Had another one yesterday. I've had enough now.

parker-waterman Feb 9th 2011 11:54 am

Don't you find them a bit lethargic. Surely a bit more activity and an increase in the general volume would go down much better. It's all too sedate for me.

I didn't know that lions ate cabbage.

parker-waterman

Strider24 Feb 9th 2011 3:16 pm

Actually the Lion usually prefers lettuce. Symbolizes prosperity, life , good luck...and hides the RED PACKET.
Actually I was privileged to see a Lion Dance at the Khoo Kongsi during a buffet put on for sailors of the Raja Muda Regatta and it was so well done, the Lion came to life, prancing and carrying on with comic antics...in light raining on the high steel poles, which must have been very slippery. Had everyone enthralled and what a fantastic setting that is at night all lit up and the courtyard brimming with people. One to remember.:thumbsup:

bakedbean Feb 10th 2011 1:39 am

The funniest bit about the one we saw on Monday was when the Lion started flinging mandarins out and nearly hit some poor ol' boy on the nose, heh heh.