British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Have you had enough of firecrackers yet? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/have-you-had-enough-firecrackers-yet-704753/)

bakedbean Feb 10th 2011 1:42 am

Have you had enough of firecrackers yet?

My god, we've had every sunset and every sunrise - every day :( Just as well we're not wanting a long lie-in in the morning.

Strider24 Feb 10th 2011 3:32 am

Re: Have you had enough of firecrackers yet?

I thought firecrackers were against the law.:thumbdown:

I am totally fed up with them and the snotty nosed kids who,s parents let them loose to throw bungers at cars, dogs, cats, mat salleh's and other endangered species.:frown:

mnicol Feb 11th 2011 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Strider24 (Post 9165979)
I thought firecrackers were against the law.:thumbdown:

I am totally fed up with them and the snotty nosed kids who,s parents let them loose to throw bungers at cars, dogs, cats, mat salleh's and other endangered species.:frown:

Either there were firecrackers going off non-stop last night from 11pm until 2am in JB or the Singapore military were testing their weapons just across the Straights of Johor... Not sure which it was but it certainly kept me awake and I am shattered at work today. TFI Friday! :)

Strider24 Feb 11th 2011 6:44 am

Its the 9th day of CNY thing. Supposed to start at midnight ending the 8th as thanks giving by Hokkien, who where saved from their enemies by running and hiding in a sugar cane field. So on the 9th day they pray to "Heavenly God" and give thanks. It's also why you will see many Chinese celebrating with stalks of sugar cane...and you can bet they are Hokkien.

As far as the fireworks go, should be only the first hour of the new day...but hey any excuse for anyone to let off fireworks at anytime, reason or not, is the rule.

Just to expand a bit, on the 7th day, everyone has a birthday. Yippee :eek: This is why you may not always get a handle on a Chinaman's real age. Especially the older ones have their age inflated by a year or two.

...and to digress even further, while white is the Chinese colour for funerals (death) If they had reached the age of 90, colour changes to red....and this why old ones like to inflate their age a tad. :blink::blink:

I love useless information:D

bakedbean Feb 11th 2011 8:07 am

thanks for enlightening Strider though wish I'd known before. We got the crackers at 4am this morning so tired n groggy today, and I cannot blame the grog either. Then had car booked in for a service with an actual appointment time (right down t'other end of the island) and we arrive and they say Oh not many mechanics, all gone back to hometown. Well why the .... didn't they say that when we made the appointment? Aaaaghhhh :banghead::banghead:

mnicol Feb 11th 2011 8:10 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 9168899)
thanks for enlightening Strider though wish I'd known before. We got the crackers at 4am this morning so tired n groggy today, and I cannot blame the grog either. Then had car booked in for a service with an actual appointment time (right down t'other end of the island) and we arrive and they say Oh not many mechanics, all gone back to hometown. Well why the .... didn't they say that when we made the appointment? Aaaaghhhh :banghead::banghead:

Thanks Strider, am glad to know is wasn't Singapore preparing to attack!! :):thumbsup:

I've got an appointment for a car service tomorrow morning - hope their hometown is JB and they are working!!! :unsure:

bakedbean Feb 12th 2011 8:29 am

So... Strider.... can you tell me when all the nonsense is over with :lol: and what is in store next week. Is Day 14 (Weds) or Day 15 (Thurs) the end of it? Will either of those be a day to batten down the hatches, and definitely not get the car serviced.

Any help gratefully received :) Ta.

Strider24 Feb 12th 2011 9:32 am

As I understand it 15th day (17th Feb) it should be over, however unofficially it will probably end at the end of the month. No huge fireworks should be going on from now, however indulgent parents and their spoilt brats (of all races) will still disturb the peace. :thumbdown:

As companies go back to work, expect to see Lions performing at factories and offices, drums and pole climbing to get lettuce with ang pow to ensure prosperity for the year of the rabbit...if you see cats displayed it will be Vietnamese, who seem to mix up the 2 animals and celebrate the cat year.:eek:

If your car workshop is Chinese...I would wait till next month.:unsure:

bakedbean Feb 13th 2011 1:10 am

Cheers Strider. Unfortunately this is Mr bakedbean's newish car which is still under warranty so has to be serviced very soon or out of warranty. Just unfortunate timing really. Have re-booked it for next Friday - we are assured that there will be full staff :unsure: mmmm

bakedbean Feb 26th 2011 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Strider24 (Post 9171230)
As I understand it 15th day (17th Feb) it should be over, however unofficially it will probably end at the end of the month. No huge fireworks should be going on from now,

We're still getting the firecrackers every morning at sunrise :frown: I guess firecrackers must be very cheap here.

Strider24 Feb 26th 2011 7:04 am

...hmmm we must be lucky at Miami Bay...we don't get the fireworks...we only get motorbike hoons screaming round the sharp bends all night. I'm waiting to hear a monumental crash...and it will be most satisfying!!:eek: