Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Happy Diwali ! What's everyone up to?

Happy Diwali ! What's everyone up to?

Old Oct 26th 2011, 8:04 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Happy Diwali ! What's everyone up to?

I'm cooking a Boatman's Curry tonight, to be washed down with a glug of wine That's about it really.

Not so many Indians in my neighbourhood but some smart Alec set off some firecrackers about 5.30am Really appreciated that.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Happy Diwali ! What's everyone up to?

Funny innit I've always called it Deepavali and for some reason it grates when anyone even Indians call it Diwali.
I think it's called Diwali in Hindu but it still for some reason grates with me.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Cpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant future

Answering emails and all that dull stuff I'm afraid. Did enjoy watching the fireworks from the balcony the last two nights though and Plus the 'Hindu' music they are piping into the LRT stations, it had a ring to it. As for fireworks, well Chinese New Year is always worse ;-)

I remember last year a freind bringing over some highly illegal and suspect Thai fireworks. I was on Salisbury Plain a few times during my Cadet years and did a few 'exercises' near the Royal School of Artillery. Those fireworks gave the big guns a run for their money when they all went off together accidentally. Don't think the other residents were very happy either.

And I've got no idea on the naming either, should ask someone.

Jack
Old Oct 27th 2011, 8:28 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg View Post
I think it's called Diwali in Hindu but it still for some reason grates with me.
Diwali Diwali Diwali Just felt like it... heh heh.

I've never been quite sure whether to call it Diwali or Deepavali. It seems to be Deepavali here, according to the billboards. Dunno where I got Diwali from... Singapore I guess.

Anyways... the curry was very nice, though I say so myself.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Cpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant future

Actually, how they name things in different countries is interesting. For example, in Indonesia 'Muslim' becomes 'Moslem'. 'Moslem' to most 'Muslims' is a mildly offensive term since it derives from the same area as the old 'Christian' term for Muslims; 'Muhammadan' (meaning one who worships Muhammad which is offensive to Muslims, we worship God). It's also the word of choice for those who are 'anti-Muslim', a google search will prove that.

I suspect there is something similar in the whole Diwali/Deepavali thing. My spellchecker says it is Diwali so maybe it's a more 'western' spelling and is thus seen as bad for a similar reason as the Muslim/Moslem stuff.

Jack
Old Oct 27th 2011, 1:45 pm

Interesting. This is right orf topic... Oops... But any thoughts on Massaman? In Thailand the Red curry which is the Muslim curry (and yummy too ) is also known as a Massaman curry... But maybe it's just a Thai language thing
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

I must try it sometime... I'm hooked on Satay right now. Worse things to be hooked on :-D

Looks like the word is derived from 'Muslaman' as it can be called 'Muslaman Curry'. Muslaman is an archaic form of 'Muslim' modified from Arabic word ' مسلمون '; Muslimun, a plural of Muslim or alternatively it participle (don't quote me, my Arabic is terrible). Still used in French and Spanish so I assume it was bought along with traders like a lot of these words. I love words sometimes, you can learn a lot about the past from them ;-)

And is there a such thing as 'off topic'? If we're talking and the opening poster doesn't mind then we're on topic as far as I am concerned anyway...

Jack
Old Oct 28th 2011, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

LivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to all

Just read...
The word "Diwali" is the contraction of the Sanskrit word "Deepavali" (deep meaning light and avali meaning a row - it means a row of lights).
Earthen lamps are 'diyas'.
As the knowledge of Sanskrit diminished, the name was popularly modified to Diwali, especially in northern India

From the look of it this site, the 5 days of the festival also have slight variations in name depending on region etc... http://www.deepavali.net/
Maybe there's something about not being in one's home country that makes people care more for language...? I never come across people in London who care at all!! Loving this
Old Oct 28th 2011, 2:00 pm

Thanks for that. For me, just an interest in languages, no more no less.

In London... Who knows.