GPS

Old Jan 20th 2013, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

AusMex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GPS

Anyone using a GPS in Malaysia. What brand.
I have a Garmin, with Malaysia on it, but it is not bringing up a lot of places, is there a better one.
Thanks
Old Jan 21st 2013, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

ThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud of
Default Re: GPS

I use a Garmin GPS with malsingmaps. it was loaded by the dealer, but maybe you can try this site.

http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/inde...age:Newbie.gif
Old Jan 21st 2013, 3:11 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

It might need updating I guess.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Nakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond repute

If you've got an Android try Sygic. Maps for Malaysia just got updated and now much better than before.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

AusMex is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks people, BB, it is supposed to be the latest version, downloaded Saturday night.
Thomas K, I will take a look at your recommendation, when I stop travelling in about a week.
Nakrob, whats an Android, No I know what it is, maybe have to get one when I get to Melaka.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

I use a Garmin Nuvi 3790T. Pricey when I bought it, but brilliant.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 6:31 am
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

If you have an iPhone, check out Waze app.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Nakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond repute

An Android? - Most smart phones or tablets that aren't Apple. You can basically download the GPS app and then use the phone as your GPS, no need for a separate unit in the car.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:17 pm
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

Not everywhere - http://m.techcrunch.com/2013/01/22/k...ost-in-europe/

There is also a version for those using Android. I don't post very often but just thought users might like to check out this app as it is more than just another GPS. People upload details of traffic jams which can be useful. Yes I know traffic is always bad in rush hour (it is in KK anyway) but sometime there is an accident which turns the jam from frustrating to a nightmare. I posted a reference to it because I thought some users might find the software usefulhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:britishexpats.com/get/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:08 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

We used Waze to and from Melaka. It worked pretty well (notifying us of jams etc). Unfortunately, there's really only one way road to Melaka so we didn't have any options to divert!
Old Feb 14th 2013, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Personally I find the phone based GPS Aps less effective than dedicated units for protracted use. I find the phone aps, assuming you use a screen mount so they are easy to see and get a better signal, often lag behind dedicated units and the maps less detailed when it comes to road names etc other than major roads. Maybe it depends on where you are.

On some complex routes I find the verbal directions in advance of junctions very useful and the ability to quickly access menus on the fly to change things is much more speedy and intuitive on dedicated devices. In this respect I suppose it depends how much and how far you travel and how often you need to use them.

I can't see TomTom or Garmin going out of business any time soon on the basis of smart phone competition though.

Last edited by Atilla; Feb 14th 2013 at 1:54 am.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

ThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud of

We've used the Nokia maps on the N8. That was great. You don't even need a data plan to use it. Since Nokia isn't doing that great nowadays, traditional GPS manufacturers don't need to worry about it.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

abdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I've used TomTom South-East Asia on my iPhone as well as the stand-alone Garmin unit. I've preferred the TomTom as it has features that work very well, such as accessing contacts on your phone and browsing POI's. It also is great for customising exactly when you want to avoid toll roads or for selecting a point on a map to travel to if you don't know the road name. Downside is that it is quite pricey for an app. Garmin is a bit fiddly!

In any case, Malaysian driving is always hit and miss! When sat nav tells you to 'stay left', you usually have a choice of three left exits! And I always tend to pick the wrong one and end up going over a flyover or u-turn!

Regards
Abdul Awwal