British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Get new drivers license in Penang (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/get-new-drivers-license-penang-889000/)

stepen Dec 19th 2016 6:59 am

Get new drivers license in Penang

Hi, where can I get a drivers license in Penang? How long does it take and how much does it cost? Can I do it on a tourist visa ?

I recently lost my wallet and drivers license, and when I wanted to get a new one from Norway they told me they can't give me a new one as I no longer live in Norway, I need to get one from my country of residence..! Is it like this in the UK and other countries as well?

As I can't product my current/old license, I assume I have to get a new one.

Thanks

Gunnar45 Dec 19th 2016 7:40 am

Re: Get new drivers license in Penang

I know some countries require you to be a resident, UK being one of them.
In Sweden the rules do allow for renewal of the license provided you live outside of the European Economic Area (EU-countries + Iceland & Norway)
If you live in an EEA country you are however obliged to replace it with the one for the relevant country.

Here is the link about Sweden:
(Maybe you can find something equivalent for Norway):
Transportstyrelsen

stepen Dec 19th 2016 7:59 am

Thanks. So Norway said that I can't get a new one in Norway when I don't live there anymore, I have to get it from my new country of residence.

Gunnar45 Dec 19th 2016 9:30 am

Not having a license to show creates a problem because without it, you may have to pass tests, etc to get a MY license instead of just changing it from the Norwegian one. So, you must somehow prove that you already have a Norwegian license.
Can't the embassy help there with some sort of certificate that you have a license, what it is valid for and for how long?
Alternatively, could you apply for it while temporary in Norway?
Have you checked what the Norwegian equivalent of 'transportstyrelsen' states?

Gunnar45 Dec 19th 2016 9:58 am

Since as per the records your license even if lost is still valid, you could maybe apply for an international license which gives you one more year.
Below the instructions.
I would not tell them that I moved out of Norway :-).

Norske førerkort i utlandet | Statens vegvesen

Hvordan får du internasjonalt førerkort?

Dette får du ved henvendelse til NAF (Norges Automobil Forbund), KNA (Kongelig Norsk Automobilklub) eller MA (Motorførernes Avholdsforbund).

Some more info, this one from:
Norske førerkort i utlandet

Tapt førerkort:
Ambassaden kan ikke utstede førerkort, verken vanlige eller midlertidige. Dersom du har mistet eller blitt frastjålet ditt norske førerkort i utlandet, må du kontakte Statens vegvesen. På forespørsel fra Vegvesenet kan ambassaden bistå med ID-kontroll og bekreftelse av signatur i forbindelse med fjernutstedelse av førerkort. Du må selv kontakte Vegvesenet for å sette i gang denne prosessen.

ID-kontroll og bekreftelse av signatur gjøres kun ved personlig oppmøte og etter avtale. Vi gjør oppmerksom på at tjenesten er gebyrbelagt i henhold til Utenriksdepartementets gebyrtariff.

Ambassaden kan også på forespørsel utstede en bekreftelse på at du innehar gyldig norsk førerkort. Slik bekreftelse utstedes kun etter skriftlig bekreftelse fra Vegvesenet. Du må selv kontakt Vegvesenet for å be om at slik bekreftelse oversendes ambassaden. Vi gjør oppmerksom på at bekreftelsen kun bekrefter at du innehar gyldig førerkort - den er ikke gyldig førerkort i seg selv. Så vidt ambassaden vet godtar hverken politi eller bilutleiefirmaer slik bekreftelse for kjøring i Australia eller New Zealand.

Også utstedelse av bekreftelse på gyldig førerkort er gebyrbelagt i henhold til Utenriksdepartementets gebyrtariff.

Meaning it is 'Vegvesendet' and NOT the Embassy which decides if you are eligible for a license or not!

stepen Dec 19th 2016 11:30 am

Thanks for the links. However they know that I don't live in Norway anymore, so they have confirmed that I can not get a new license in Norway, also not the international one.

So, where and how can I get a drivers license (from scratch) in Penang? How complicated and expensive is it? Is it possible it on a tourist visa?

Gunnar45 Dec 19th 2016 12:02 pm

Hi again,
I don't think that you can get a MY drivers license without some sort of residence permit.
Like a student visa, work visa or MM2H.

You can verify this at a licensed driving school:
Official Portal of Road Transport Department Malaysia

So, your best option would probably be to get one in your country of residence.

stepen Dec 19th 2016 12:13 pm

Maybe have to get mm2h then..
I live and work mainly in China, but have an apartment in Penang that I come to often.

It seems to be very very complicated to get a Chinese drivers license from scratch.

Thanks for the link, I'll try to contact them. Or maybe a driving school, they might be easier to get in touch with.

Gunnar45 Dec 19th 2016 10:43 pm

Maybe it would be easier to get a Chinese license with a letter from the NO Embassy confirming that you have qualified for a NO license but lost it. And of course what it is valid for plus expiry date.

Shirtback Dec 19th 2016 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Gunnar45 (Post 12132797)
Maybe it would be easier to get a Chinese license with a letter from the NO Embassy confirming that you have qualified for a NO license but lost it. And of course what it is valid for plus expiry date.

There's no reciprocal agreement between Norway & China for DL exchange.

The OP would need to take & pass a driving test in China, same test as locals - it can be done in English in the larger cities.

He - if allowed to as a non-resident - would need to take and pass the driving test in MY too, as he no longer has his Norway licence. Your link above is a good reference.

stepen Dec 20th 2016 3:43 am

Yes, I assume it's much easier in Malaysia vs china. Anyone has info in the process in Malaysia? How long does it take and the costs?

Gunnar45 Dec 20th 2016 3:54 am

The last link I provided gives you a list of Gov't approved driving instructors in Penang.
Suggest you call one of these and ask them your questions.

stepen Dec 20th 2016 4:25 am

I found this useful post:
https://tropicalexpat.wordpress.com/...enang-in-2014/

It's really so annoying that Norway can't give me a replacement. I will only drive in Norway, I don't drive in China or Malaysia. So I have to go through all this trouble, then convert it to an international drivers license that must be renewed every year in order to drive in Norway when I'm there 1-2 months every year. This is one big drawback of being an expat!

I will consider to not get a new one and still drive in Norway, as I am still in the system. If I get stopped and tell the police I forgot it at home, then they will find me in the records. Downside it that I can't rent a car.

SushiFan Dec 20th 2016 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by stepen (Post 12132886)

That is an interesting link, thank you for sharing.
I'm glad I was able to receive a Malaysian driver's license by simply showing my foreign driver's license. A whole lot easier than having to go through this ordeal.
I wish you success!

kiat137 Jan 17th 2017 4:05 am

You probably need to take a whole course in Malaysia in order to get the driving license.
Problem is you can't get the driving license without any long stay visa in Malaysia either MM2H or working visa.

stepen Jan 17th 2017 4:23 am

Originally Posted by kiat137 (Post 12153666)
Problem is you can't get the driving license without any long stay visa in Malaysia either MM2H or working visa.

Do you know that I can't take it without a long stay visa? As I've read that you can do it even without a long term visa. Thanks

Thairetired2016 Jan 22nd 2017 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by stepen (Post 12153673)
Do you know that I can't take it without a long stay visa? As I've read that you can do it even without a long term visa. Thanks

I would be interested to learn if you were able to get a MY license?
My husband's license expires within a few month. Since we live outside Britain he cannot renew his license. We have started to visit Malaysia frequently for 90 day stays at a time.

stepen Jan 22nd 2017 2:58 pm

I have not done it yet. I'll check with some locals driving schools when I'm there in February. But in my case (and maybe yours) it might be easier to move back to home country and renew license there..

Thairetired2016 Jan 22nd 2017 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by stepen (Post 12158274)
I have not done it yet. I'll check with some locals driving schools when I'm there in February. But in my case (and maybe yours) it might be easier to move back to home country and renew license there..

Tks for replying so quickly. "Going home" would mean for min. 6 months. Plus we no longer have a home in U.K.
We will be in Melaka for a brief visit next month. Will try to get some info.

stepen Jan 22nd 2017 3:08 pm

I'm currently looking into that option. I think, at least in Norway I could tell them I move back, I don't actually have to go there. Then I can order online a replacement license, and then move back out. In theory..
However tax issues might complicate this so I'm not so keen on doing it this way, it's more a last resort