British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   George Town, Penang – Operation Stay Clear! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/george-town-penang-%E2%80%93-operation-stay-clear-861225/)

JC3 Jul 4th 2015 3:42 am

George Town, Penang – Operation Stay Clear!

Watch out for 4,000 mainland Chinese visitors arriving in Penang over the next few days.

Whilst no doubt their spending power will be welcome by Penang, regrettably these guys are not known for their good manners. So you might want to avoid parts of George Town and the city hotels this week. Expect traffic and lots of coaches.

They are all from multi-level marketing company, Perfect China Co Ltd (something like Amway) here on a company sponsored incentive trip.

The first group arrive today Saturday 4th July, the second group on Friday 11th July.

They will be roaming the George Town heritage area by bicycle in groups of 1,000 a day on Sunday 5th, Monday 6th, Friday 11th and Saturday 12th.

On Sunday 5th and Friday 11th the group will also be taking over the City Hall / Esplanade area for a Hawkers food night.

See an article below, about the same company’s visit to the USA last year:

Chinese tourists sometimes forget their best manners|Chang Jun|chinadaily.com.cn

JC3

xizzles Jul 4th 2015 7:32 am

Re: George Town, Penang – Operation Stay Clear!

OMG. I remember it was just a few decades ago that the boorish, "They make'em bigger in Texas" Yankee tourist was the bane of every god-fearing local inhabitant - and now, it's the Chinese's turn to inherit that unwanted label.

Rodi Jul 13th 2015 1:27 am

Yeah we caught the first wave at while staying at Sheraton. We just moved here and move into our place today. And they say Ameticans are rude? I round tell them to f*** off if I was working customer service. Loud, pushy, rude and obnoxious. Everything Malaysians are not. Thanks for letting us know there's s second wave. We will stay far away since we just took a place in Batu Ferringhi

roystevenung Jul 14th 2015 2:58 pm

Its fake news as confirmed by The Star newspaper.

JC3 Jul 15th 2015 3:13 am

Originally Posted by roystevenung (Post 11699197)
Its fake news as confirmed by The Star newspaper.

Hi Roy,

Fake news? How odd.
I'd love to know what part of The Star's own news reporting The Star now says is fake.

Here's some of the recent headlines from The Star:

Thumbs up for the ‘nga choy kai’
8 July 2015
IPOH: Ipoh’s iconic beansprout chicken (nga choy kai in Cantonese) managed to impress some 2,000 Chinese nationals who were on an incentive trip to Malaysia.

Chinese tourists enjoying a taste of Penang
7 July 2015
THE big group of Chinese tourists on an incentive trip to Penang continues to soak in the heritage sights of George Town.

First batch of Chinese visitors on George Town tour
6 July 2015
SOME 1,000 Chinese visitors enjoyed a memorable bicycle and trishaw tour of the George Town heritage sites.

Perfect trip for 4,000 from China
5 July 2015
GEORGE TOWN: Meng Chumai from Henan, China, has travelled to many countries in Asia but counts Malaysia as special.

Heritage and hawker food feast for 4,000 visitors
30 June 2015
PREPARATIONS for 4,000 Chinese visitors on an incentive trip to Penang will include renting over 1,000 bicycles and hundreds of trishaws.

JC3

roystevenung Jul 15th 2015 5:18 am

Originally Posted by JC3 (Post 11699679)
Hi Roy,

Fake news? How odd.
I'd love to know what part of The Star's own news reporting The Star now says is fake.

Here's some of the recent headlines from The Star:

Thumbs up for the ‘nga choy kai’
8 July 2015
IPOH: Ipoh’s iconic beansprout chicken (nga choy kai in Cantonese) managed to impress some 2,000 Chinese nationals who were on an incentive trip to Malaysia.

Chinese tourists enjoying a taste of Penang
7 July 2015
THE big group of Chinese tourists on an incentive trip to Penang continues to soak in the heritage sights of George Town.

First batch of Chinese visitors on George Town tour
6 July 2015
SOME 1,000 Chinese visitors enjoyed a memorable bicycle and trishaw tour of the George Town heritage sites.

Perfect trip for 4,000 from China
5 July 2015
GEORGE TOWN: Meng Chumai from Henan, China, has travelled to many countries in Asia but counts Malaysia as special.

Heritage and hawker food feast for 4,000 visitors
30 June 2015
PREPARATIONS for 4,000 Chinese visitors on an incentive trip to Penang will include renting over 1,000 bicycles and hundreds of trishaws.

JC3

My mistake JC3, sorry.

The arrival of the 6,000 Chinese Tourist was shared on Whatsapp/Wechat on 3rd July of which was later clarified that they will only be coming in batches of 4,000 (4th July) and another 2K (11th July).

I had missed out the clarification message on Whatsapp. I misquoted The Star :ohmy: :(

JC3 Jul 15th 2015 11:16 am

Originally Posted by roystevenung (Post 11699718)
My mistake JC3, sorry.

The arrival of the 6,000 Chinese Tourist was shared on Whatsapp/Wechat on 3rd July of which was later clarified that they will only be coming in batches of 4,000 (4th July) and another 2K (11th July).

I had missed out the clarification message on Whatsapp. I misquoted The Star :ohmy: :(

No problem Roy. Phew! I thought for a moment or two that I'd been had - caught out by an elaborate hoax, something like April Fools Day, but a lot longer!

JC3

roystevenung Jul 15th 2015 12:08 pm

Geez, them social media at times can bite you in the ass lol...

Any idea how is the traffic situation on Penang Island? Its "balik kampung" time.

I am from Butterworth.

bakedbean Jul 15th 2015 12:14 pm

Be busy for sure tomorrow Roy, or so I am told.