British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Gardening woes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/gardening-woes-888845/)

Gunnar45 Dec 15th 2016 2:00 am

Gardening woes

We just noticed that quite a few plants in our balcony 'garden' have been contaminated with white mildew, a lot of leaves are covered with a whiteish dust and after some days, they die off.
Does anyone have a suggestion on what to use to remedy this?
And where to buy? (In Penang)
No need to be strictly 'ecological', the objective is to kill the mildew without killing the plants.

OriginalSunshine Dec 18th 2016 7:57 am

Re: Gardening woes

Originally Posted by Gunnar45 (Post 12129474)
We just noticed that quite a few plants in our balcony 'garden' have been contaminated with white mildew, a lot of leaves are covered with a whiteish dust and after some days, they die off.
Does anyone have a suggestion on what to use to remedy this?
And where to buy? (In Penang)
No need to be strictly 'ecological', the objective is to kill the mildew without killing the plants.

Are you sure it is mildew and not mealy bug? Have a google for mealy bug if you don't already know what it is. We've found best way to kill it is ant spray as the ants farm the bugs for food. Literally.

Gunnar45 Dec 18th 2016 11:00 pm

I know it is not mealy bugs or aphids. (Or any other insect)
And there are no ants present.
The leaves of the plants are covered with a white dust on the underside and after a while they die off.

Shirtback Dec 19th 2016 10:53 pm

General suggestions (because I don't know exactly what's affecting your plants:

Unfortunately, you might have to sacrifice the affected plants, and replace all soil (even for unaffected plants). Containers should be sterilised before putting the clean new soil in & repotting healthy plants.

Make sure there's plenty of air circulation around them, & that you're not overwatering/watering the leaves rather than roots.

JC3 Dec 20th 2016 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Gunnar45 (Post 12132095)
I know it is not mealy bugs or aphids. (Or any other insect)
And there are no ants present.
The leaves of the plants are covered with a white dust on the underside and after a while they die off.

Hi Gunnar,

I suggest the first thing to do is to cut out and destroy all of the affected leaves as soon as you see them. Then try spraying with a soapy solution (water and washing-up liquid).

However, I also think this sounds like a mealy-bug attack. The most common kind is covered with a soft white waxy substance which makes the insect look like a fungus. The sticky substance mealy bugs excrete sometimes also gets infected with ‘sooty mould’ - a black fungus. If it is mealy bugs, then Malathion (a contact insecticide) gives effective control. You can buy a small brown bottle of Malathion at the garden centre opposite the Tanjung Bungah wet market for a few ringgit. (On the left as you drive from Batu Ferrinnghi towards George Town).
If you take a sample infected leaf or two into the garden centre I expect they will identify the problem for you and recommend a solution. Malathion seems to be something of a ‘cure-all’ for insect related problems, but is harmful to fish.
If you spray with both an insecticide and a fungicide you should cure the problem, although a more natural solution would be preferable of course.

JC3

Gunnar45 Dec 20th 2016 9:40 am

Hello JC3,
Thanks for your input, maybe it is mealy bug after all. Even witohout ants :-).
Anyway, we are presently travelling so I will check after christmas!
Gunnar

JC3 Dec 27th 2016 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Gunnar45 (Post 12133012)
Hello JC3,
Thanks for your input, maybe it is mealy bug after all. Even witohout ants :-).
Anyway, we are presently travelling so I will check after christmas!
Gunnar

Hello again,

I just got off the phone to my sister in the UK who knows a thing or two about organic gardening. She recommends bicarbonate of soda for fungal infection in plants. She says mix a tablespoon with a litre of water in a spray bottle and to spray the leaves regularly. Hope this helps!

JC3

Gunnar45 Dec 28th 2016 11:27 am

Hello JC3,
Thanks for the advie, I will try this, hope it helps!