Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Gardening In Tropical Malaysia

Gardening In Tropical Malaysia

Old May 27th 2016, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

PoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gardening In Tropical Malaysia

Not has much success with fridges once they go ripe but our neighbours love it when we harvest.
Banana cakes freeze very well and I usually make a dozen or so. There is a cracking recipe on the back a plain flour box.
I try to get different plants to fruit at different times as well.

Lost about 15 feet of my Jackfruit tree the other week in a storm it sort of 'fell over' and was too heavy to use a stake till I cut it back. so that's knocked back now it was just starting to fruit..................ahh well

Last edited by PoolieAbroad; May 27th 2016 at 11:58 am. Reason: Bad spelling as usual
Old May 28th 2016, 7:00 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoolieAbroad
...Banana cakes freeze very well and I usually make a dozen or so. There is a cracking recipe on the back a plain flour box.
I try to get different plants to fruit at different times as well.

Lost about 15 feet of my Jackfruit tree the other week in a storm it sort of 'fell over' and was too heavy to use a stake till I cut it back. so that's knocked back now it was just starting to fruit..................ahh well
Hi Poolie,

I mentioned what your suggested recipe to Mrs JC3.

"Do you mean this one?" she replied, and out of nowhere produced a recipe she had already cut off the back of a Blue Key flour box 'Kek Walnut Pisang / Banana Walnut Cake'.

Is it this one? Sounds yummy, but we haven't made one yet.

Sorry to hear about your Jackfruit tree. Frustrating eh? We had a big storm in Penang this week - no matter what I do it seems, I always lose a few pots, even some I've wired down. What a mess. I'm slowly tidying up the damage now...The good news is after a one of my gardening mad neighbours usually arrives with some cuttings from whatever she's just lost, for me to plant!

JC3
Old May 28th 2016, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

PoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi There JC3
I haven't seen that one you have but I will look out for it!

Mine was indeed Blue Key and is called Banana Bread or Roti Pisang. BUT bread it isn't Its much more cake. It is much better eaten at least a day after cooking. Keeps nicely in the fridge whilst under eating as it is a very moist recipe and would be prone to mold I fear if left out. May as well get two different types of cakes made next time we have some harvesting going on . One thing is don't be tempted to make it 'nicer' by using olive oil instead of normal cheap veggie oil, it does not improve the taste at all , the opposite really!.
Two or three months in the freezer so far is no problem with them.I make them in a loaf tin and the mixture of the recipe makes two nice sized cakes.

Talking of trees one of my Manila Palms was up to about 12 feet and it got some horrible illness so today I spend 3 hours digging around the base and hacking though the roots. Finally after much grunting and swearing the root ball was out!
I have replaced it with another banana plant..........

Mango is doing well though and we had a few fruit this year very nice and sweet but still small as the tree is only a year and half old.

Yup the jackfruit was a pain but it is sprouting new leaves all over the place. So I will keep it a little lower this time. Those squalls are pretty fierce.
Old May 29th 2016, 3:03 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi There JC3
I haven't seen that one you have but I will look out for it!

Mine was indeed Blue Key and is called Banana Bread or Roti Pisang. BUT bread it isn't Its much more cake.
Hi Poolie,

Thanks for that, and the tips. I'll look out for the Banana Bread recipe. Meanwhile here's a PDF copy of the Banana Walnut Cake recipe for you.

I'm impressed with your tree digging efforts, I've had to do some of that too. Absolutely exhausting in the heat! I hope you are putting your feet up today.

JC3
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Banana Walnut Cake Recipe.pdf (763.9 KB, 170 views)
Old May 29th 2016, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JC3
Hi Poolie,

Thanks for that, and the tips. I'll look out for the Banana Bread recipe. Meanwhile here's a PDF copy of the Banana Walnut Cake recipe for you.

I'm impressed with your tree digging efforts, I've had to do some of that too. Absolutely exhausting in the heat! I hope you are putting your feet up today.

JC3
Thanks for that JC3 Here is the Banana Recipe ( assuming I can attach things properly!)
Well the file went somewhere!!

Oh yes today is feet up indeed after a nice Roti Chennai Breakfast!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BananaBread.PDF (1.01 MB, 304 views)
Old May 29th 2016, 6:14 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

Thanks for that JC3 Here is the Banana Recipe ( assuming I can attach things properly!)
Well the file went somewhere!!

Oh yes today is feet up indeed after a nice Roti Chennai Breakfast!
Great many thanks, can't wait to try it.
I'm having a lazy day too now. I played tennis for a couple of hours this morning, and that's it, totally pooped. Even the garden will have to wait.

JC3
Old May 29th 2016, 9:35 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JC3
I played tennis for a couple of hours this morning, and that's it, totally pooped. Even the garden will have to wait.

JC3
And I don't know how you can play tennis in the Tropics...phew!