Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Gardening In Tropical Malaysia

Gardening In Tropical Malaysia

Old May 28th 2015, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gardening In Tropical Malaysia

Gardening in the tropics must be easy.
In the late 1950s I took some kids on a friends boat around Singapore...we drifted to a sand bank opposite Keppel and decided to have a picnic and wait for a higher tide.
The afternoon was a delight, the kids made some sandcastles, and we left some food and fruit for the local birds, but packed everything else out.
Many years later I overheard Singaporeans call this jungle paradise-oasis as Sentosa.
Old May 29th 2015, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

PoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
Very interesting to see your banana tree leaves. They look in great shape. Tropical storms have shredded ours, and quite a few are now somewhat singed round the edges too. I've planted several frangipani trees in the lawn, but think I might follow your example and add a banana tree or two.

JC3
The recent windy nights have done some shredding but they are protected on one side by the house. So they escaped the worst of the wind that particular night. I was worried the things were going to blow over.

I have a frangipani on the other end which is doing quite well. Only recently I realised the soil is pretty rubbish and a good dose of fertilser is needed every few weeks!

Xizzles .......Singapore is indeed tough to get some land at any price and we are indeed very lucky in Malaysia that the land price is still reasonable.
Mind you its a warm job cutting the stuff each week!!
Somehow it never quite looks like a really nice lawn. I blame the rotary type grass cutters that are no where near as good as the old trusted cylinder models.
Old May 29th 2015, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

In Singpore many of the HDB estates have a small area, maybe 25ft by 15ft which is set aside for residents who want to garden a bit. Mainly vege but some flowers but I think you have to get permission to garden there.
Old May 29th 2015, 12:04 pm
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi fellow gardeners.

Have you seen these before? They are the seed pods of a bastard poon tree. Love that name!

Strung together like a rain chain they make attractive mobiles. A friend who saw one I'd made said the single shells looks like an elephant's face and ears. I hadn't noticed that, but it's true. Just need to draw on the eyes.

JC3

Last edited by InVinoVeritas; Jun 5th 2015 at 2:47 pm. Reason: Photo removed at request of JC3
Old Jun 5th 2015, 9:06 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Photos of your garden taken with a digital camera or mobile phone camera may include the GPS coordinates.

If you want to know more about this please read this thread:-

http://britishexpats.com/forum/site-...cation-859499/

JC3

Last edited by InVinoVeritas; Jun 5th 2015 at 3:13 pm. Reason: Link not working so I have edited this very useful post - thanks JC3
Old Jun 6th 2015, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

Out of curiosity I looked up the bastard spoon tree, its also called the stinking dung tree
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=98&artid=22952

"Peenaa'ri (Sterculia foetida) is a timber tree of the tropical rain forests. It is a native of tropical Africa, southern South Asia, Southeast Asia and northern AustralAustralia
Peenaa'ri (Sterculia foetida): The blossoms of stench

The names of this tree in various languages have either come from the faecal stench of its flowers or from its edible, oil-producing seeds.

The Latin botanical term, Sterculia foetida itself means, ‘stinking dung’ (stercus – manure; foetida – stinking). The tree is known in English as Javan Olive, Skunk Flower, Hazel Sterculia, Wild Chestnuts, Wild Indian Almond and Bastard Poon Tree."

Last edited by columbine; Jun 6th 2015 at 3:16 am.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 6:07 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Just for anyone who may wish to know, there seems to be a Penang Gardeners Group (a closed group) on Farcebook, for sharing tips and tricks of gardening in the Tropics. So, if you're interested, you know where to look.
Old May 16th 2016, 11:15 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

Love gardening?
Don’t miss the Penang Floral Festival from 28 May to 5 Jun 2016 (9am - 7pm) at Penang Botanic Gardens. This popular event attracts thousands of locals and foreign visitors to its stalls selling plants and gardening equipment, along with workshops, contests, exhibitions and classes on floral related topics.

JC3
Old May 16th 2016, 10:59 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I went to this last year, just to have a nose, and was surprised that it was not actually part of the Penang Botanic Gardens. It was held at some grounds on the approach road to the Botanic. The friend I went with (Penang born) said it's not as good as it used to be. Not so many stalls now. What do you think JC3?

Pity that the Botanic does not get more involved in it?
Old May 16th 2016, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

The Penang floral show is more like a flower vendors show. It used to be lots bigger, but last few years it's really dwindled. I went to my last one a few years ago, it was lots smaller, according to the vendors they didn't get much support and publicity from the organizers and in fact that show was cancelled and many were not informed. So the vendors were very disappointed but did the stalls themselves since they had transported the plants to Penang.
If you like a good floral show, go all the way to the annual one in Putrajaya.
Royal FLORIA Putrajaya 2016

Royal Floria PutrajayaRoyal FLORIA Putrajaya will bring the concept of a family holiday to a new dimension beyond imagination when Magical Gardens themed components kicks off the holiday season that is from 27th May to 4th June 2016 at Anjung FLORIA, Precinct 4, Putrajaya.
http://www.floriaputrajaya.com.my/press-release-royal-floria-putrajaya-2016

Last edited by columbine; May 16th 2016 at 11:34 pm.
Old May 17th 2016, 12:14 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by bakedbean View Post
I went to this last year, just to have a nose, and was surprised that it was not actually part of the Penang Botanic Gardens. It was held at some grounds on the approach road to the Botanic. The friend I went with (Penang born) said it's not as good as it used to be. Not so many stalls now. What do you think JC3?

Pity that the Botanic does not get more involved in it?
I think that's probably true - not as good as it was - but I missed it last year unfortunately.

JC3
Old May 27th 2016, 5:42 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

How to ripen bananas - gradually?

My first banana tree was a gift from an old Chinese Malaysian ‘auntie’ who kindly allowed me to dig it up from her garden, right on the beach at Tanjung Bungah in Penang. “This is no ordinary banana tree” she promised – “this is a Raja – king of the bananas, hard to find now”. Fast forward two years and I now have a small clump of banana trees.

Yesterday I cut this stalk of banana hands. They look nice and plump, but are not yellow yet. There’s about seven hands of 10 bananas each.
I thought I had better harvest them now before the monkeys spot them, or the bats, birds and squirrels beat me to it.

My question is what next? How best to ripen them, so not all 70 are ready at once (the problem I had this time last year).

I have hung the entire stalk on a screened verandah to ripen out of harms way. But I am now wondering whether I should cut the stalk up into hands now, cover the bunch with a plastic bag to hasten ripening, or what?

Can any BE gardeners give me some tips? I think a few of us are newbies to this.

Many thanks.

JC3
Attached Thumbnails Gardening In Tropical  Malaysia-bananas.bmp.jpg  

Last edited by JC3; May 27th 2016 at 5:57 am.
Old May 27th 2016, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

My wife, not a gardener but a great cook, says she doesn't know how to hasten ripening bananas but, to keep them from going black, she plastic wraps and puts in the freezer.
Another hint is an under-ripe avocado can be wrapped in tinfoil and put in an oven at 200deg for 30 mins to soften.

Maybe try a banana the same way and see the result...maybe mushy banana slurpy ...yummy!
Old May 27th 2016, 10:01 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

In France they put them in a 150C oven on a baking sheet for 40 mins. The bananas go black so are not very presentable but the flesh is OK.

It seems that other methods require the banana to already be a little yellow which yours clearly aren't.
Old May 27th 2016, 10:01 am

Going to need a huge freezer to put all those in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.