Flights & Flying

Old Mar 16th 2016, 9:49 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights & Flying

Originally Posted by paul0gb
Im sure The more times you visit a website for flights the more expensive it becomes. They know your checking because of cookies and scare you into buying a more expensive ticket. ???
You have a nasty and suspicious mind hehe.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 10:23 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Im sure The more times you visit a website for flights the more expensive it becomes. They know your checking because of cookies and scare you into buying a more expensive ticket. ???
I think quite possibly some of the bucket-shops do that but I haven't noticed the major airlines doing it.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 11:42 pm
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you Google "airline seat allocation problem". You'll see how there can be several prices for the same seats.

Airline revenue management is complicated, but just for illustration, in the Economy section there may only be 12 seats at the lowest price, another 12 at the second lowest price and so on. Once these seats are 'sold out', the price you see online will increase. Generally speaking, on busy routes the nearer you get to the flight date, the higher the seat price will be.

JC3

Last edited by JC3; Mar 16th 2016 at 11:45 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 11:55 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JC3
I suggest you Google "airline seat allocation problem". You'll see how there can be several prices for the same seats.

Airline revenue management is complicated, but just for illustration, in the Economy section there may only be 12 seats at the lowest price, another 12 at the second lowest price and so on. Once these seats are 'sold out', the price you see online will increase. Generally speaking, on busy routes the nearer you get to the flight date, the higher the seat price will be.

JC3
That is certainly true JC3 but I do have some friends who are bucket-shoppers and they change their IP address before buying because they are convinced the price goes up the more they visit the site.

But then they also think there are people living on the other side of the moon
Old Mar 17th 2016, 12:18 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
That is certainly true JC3 but I do have some friends who are bucket-shoppers and they change their IP address before buying because they are convinced the price goes up the more they visit the site.

But then they also think there are people living on the other side of the moon
One answer is to use a 3 step approach.
1) Use a travel search engine like Skyscanner.net to check prices and airlines, then
2) Having found what looks reasonable, re-check the price on your chosen airline's own website using the 'flexible travel dates' option. Airline websites often display a calendar clearly showing what are the cheapest days and flights on which to depart and return. This latter information is not generally available on the travel search engines.
3) Don't forget to also do Step Two with your second and third choice of airline from Step One, because if you entered 'expensive' dates at Step One, you can't find the best price.

JC3
Old Mar 17th 2016, 12:58 am
Hostage Negotiator

Originally Posted by JC3
One answer is to use a 3 step approach.
1) Use a travel search engine like Skyscanner.net to check prices and airlines, then
2) Having found what looks reasonable, re-check the price on your chosen airline's own website using the 'flexible travel dates' option. Airline websites often display a calendar clearly showing what are the cheapest days and flights on which to depart and return. This latter information is not generally available on the travel search engines.
3) Don't forget to also do Step Two with your second and third choice of airline from Step One, because if you entered 'expensive' dates at Step One, you can't find the best price.

JC3
You've just convinced me. There probably are people living on the other side of the moon
Old Mar 17th 2016, 1:09 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

You've just convinced me. There probably are people living on the other side of the moon
Yes, but much fewer flight options.
Try: Virgin Galactic, the world's first commercial spaceline

JC3
Old Mar 17th 2016, 1:20 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

A new air-side transit hotel at Changi International Airport called Aerotel Singapore has just opened, near the boarding gates at Terminal 1.

It has an outdoor swimming pool, a jacuzzi, and a pool-side bar, free Wi-Fi etc. with rates based on a six-hour block starting from US$39.

Might be handy on occasions.

See: Aerotel Airport Transit Hotel

JC3
Old Mar 17th 2016, 2:54 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

So about 160 ringgits. That's handy isn't it. Must say I do like travelling through Changi. Just so organized.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JC3

JC3
Another trick to convince you to book quickly is the message "only a few seats left at this price". I once fell for this trick to find six weeks later that there were still a few seats left, at the same price.....
Old Mar 17th 2016, 9:44 pm
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by SushiFan
Another trick to convince you to book quickly is the message "only a few seats left at this price". I once fell for this trick to find six weeks later that there were still a few seats left, at the same price.....
Hi SushiFan,

I am convinced these messages are false or purposely misleading on occasions. That said, I think they are often true. The logic used, especially by low cost carriers, can seem weird.

If the airline is using ‘fare buckets’ then you can test how many seats are really left in the ‘fare bucket’ using a dummy booking for a bigger group of people (and/or to test for the truth).

Once you go over the number of seats still remaining in that ‘fare bucket’, you'll be offered tickets from the next, more expensive fare bucket.

If you are booking flights for a family or large group, it’s worth remembering that in a group booking all the tickets must come from the same fare bucket.

So it can be cheaper to split a group booking into two parts. For example if there are 4 passengers in the group, it may be better to book the last 2 remaining seats at the lower price, and the next 2 seats at the increased price (i.e. and not all 4 seats from the higher-priced fare bucket).

As the flight date draws ever nearer, if an airline finds that its plane is only half full, it may of course choose to drop its prices or re-introduce the ‘bargain bucket’ fares once more to attract passengers.

JC3

Last edited by JC3; Mar 17th 2016 at 9:55 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

JC3, you really sound like an expert on this topic. I will remember your advice.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 1:16 am
Hostage Negotiator

Originally Posted by SushiFan
JC3, you really sound like an expert on this topic. I will remember your advice.
You should hear his aircraft impersonations
Old Mar 18th 2016, 3:43 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

You should hear his aircraft impersonations
Guilty.
"Ladies and gentlemen we will be landing shortly...
Whoa, big fella, whoa!"

JC747
Old Mar 18th 2016, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JC3
Guilty.
"Ladies and gentlemen we will be landing shortly...
Whoa, big fella, whoa!"

JC747
I went to school in Scotland so cringe everytime I'm on an aircraft in the States when the pilot says "Ladies and Gentlement we will be airborne momentarily so Flight Attendants...take your seats for Take-Off"

Momentarily in US English means 'in a short while' but for UK English it means 'for a short while'.
Also, I worry where he wants the Flight Attendants to take their seats...I thought they were bolted to the floor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.