Flights & Flying

Old May 18th 2016, 2:44 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights & Flying

Originally Posted by Davita
You need to gen-up on geography IVV...

Diego Garcia...where some conspirator theorists believe MH370 landed is almost on the direct route KL-Mauritius.
Maybe they're right and he crashed short of the runway and why some parts were also found on Reunion...a little further on than Mauritius....could be..
Ah yes I've found it. So using Google Maps and great circles it looks like in the worst case of an engine failure, you'd only have to glide 1000 miles. Shame that's about 10 times further than most jets can manage
Old May 18th 2016, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Ah yes I've found it. So using Google Maps and great circles it looks like in the worst case of an engine failure, you'd only have to glide 1000 miles. Shame that's about 10 times further than most jets can manage
I'm not aware of any commercial jets where one engine failure necessitates gliding.

Please don't make some people more frightened of flying than they usually are.

Twin-engined A/C are required to have an en-route landing diversion capability with one engine shut-down....otherwise that route is a no-no....
Old May 18th 2016, 5:09 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Always good to have ex and current airline pilots on forum. Very interesting people. Whatever happened to rusty747 ?

Totally off topic but a twin engined air conditioner would be very useful in my condo lounge.
Old May 18th 2016, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Always good to have ex and current airline pilots on forum. Very interesting people. Whatever happened to rusty747 ?

Totally off topic but a twin engined air conditioner would be very useful in my condo lounge.
hahaha...I 'trust' you meant trusty 747...otherwise I'll have to kill you...as that was my baby for 10 years..

I don't know any airline currently flying the 200-300 series B747...maybe some charter or cargo operators but the 400 series are still in service. The 400 has those vertical fins on the end on the wings.
Many cargo operators bought the newer B747-8 but few passenger models made as airlines prefer the two-engined carbon fiber B787 (Dreamliner) as more fuel efficient.
The 4 engined A380 isn't selling well either.

Reminds me of a story about a previous president of the FAA. He was asked why he always took 4 engined aircraft when he flew...he replied "'coz they don't make too many with five!"..

If you're in the market for a new split system air-con I recommend you buy the invertor type...much more efficient and consumes less power.

BTW I'm flying back to Vancouver next week in a B777. I'll notice the difference when in turbulence...those light aircraft bounce around whereas the B747 was as solid as a .... I'll leave to your imagination.

Last edited by Davita; May 18th 2016 at 6:52 pm.
Old May 18th 2016, 7:28 pm
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
I love Mauritius...Though there is a LOT of water you fly over from KL to there....
Yes, nowhere to land if there are pressing needs en-route
You need to gen-up on geography IVV...

Diego Garcia...where some conspirator theorists believe MH370 landed is almost on the direct route KL-Mauritius.
:
Ah yes I've found it...it looks like in the worst case of an engine failure, you'd only have to glide 1000 miles. Shame that's about 10 times further than most jets can manage
I'm not aware of any commercial jets where one engine failure necessitates gliding....
Twin-engined A/C are required to have an en-route landing diversion capability with one engine shut-down....otherwise that route is a no-no....
What one would need are ‘Diversion Airports’. Even a trans-Atlantic flight between Europe and the USA looks like a lot of water, but in fact there are several places a pilot could land if necessary, such as the Azores, Bermuda, Gander in New Foundland, or Keflavik. In reality the plane would rarely if ever be more than 90 minutes away from one of them, Western Europe or the USA.

I don’t know what the 'worst case' flight time to an Indian Ocean diversion airport would be, but I believe 3+ hours is permitted these days depending on the type of aircraft, but a pilot flying from the Far East to Mauritius would have several options on that route too, including Cocos (Keeling) Islands Airport, Diego Garcia, Seychelles International, and Malé International (Maldives). I guess the pilot might even choose to turn fly East if nearer.

Boeing for example received type-design approval from the FAA for up to 330-minute extended operations (ETOPS) for its 777 fleet.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diversion_airport

JC3

Last edited by JC3; May 18th 2016 at 7:44 pm.
Old May 18th 2016, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

For those reading this thread and starting to get worried please relax...the rules for engine failure on a 2-engine aircraft are laid out here....

http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/com...enroutealt.pdf

I suggest make a copy and, when seated on the aircraft and having a glass of wine, start to study...by the time you get to page two you'll be fast asleep.... NO worries...

Not been to Diego Garcia but landed at Cocos (Keeling) twice. Cocos runway is short and there is....um...um...well nothing...except coconut trees...
Old May 18th 2016, 9:18 pm
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

...please relax...the rules for engine failure on a 2-engine aircraft are laid out here....

http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/com...enroutealt.pdf

I suggest make a copy and, when seated on the aircraft and having a glass of wine, start to study...by the time you get to page two you'll be fast asleep.... NO worries...
That's not very flattering Davita!
There's only 14 words and two photographs on Page 2.

But then maybe it's the "grass of goatsextramanure" that's so soporific.

JC3
Old May 18th 2016, 9:26 pm
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

An EgyptAir flight heading from Paris to Cairo has disappeared from radar this morning. The Airbus A320 went missing shortly after entering Egyptian airspace. It looks like it has crashed into the Med somewhere south of the Greek island Karpathos.

JC3

Last edited by JC3; May 18th 2016 at 9:31 pm.
Old May 18th 2016, 9:47 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JC3
An EgyptAir flight heading from Paris to Cairo has disappeared from radar this morning. The Airbus A320 went missing shortly after entering Egyptian airspace. It looks like it has crashed into the Med somewhere south of the Greek island Karpathos.

JC3
I saw that news this morning but hadn't seen an update.

I don't know where Egyptian airspace begins but Karpathos (near Rhodes) is well north of Egypt. It did a u-turn?
Old May 18th 2016, 10:09 pm
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

I saw that news this morning but hadn't seen an update.

I don't know where Egyptian airspace begins but Karpathos (near Rhodes) is well north of Egypt. It did a u-turn?
I don’t think so, only that the plane was in Cairo’s Flight Information Range (FIR) when it vanished.

JC3
Attached Thumbnails Flights & Flying-ms804-last-contact.jpg  

Last edited by JC3; May 18th 2016 at 10:14 pm.
Old May 18th 2016, 10:11 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

They are confirming it has likely crashed. Air traffic contact was lost 10 miles inside Greek airspace and it disappeared off radar 11 miles inside Egyption airspace. Looking very much like it was a bomb to me.
Old May 19th 2016, 1:20 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
I've been trying to find some good flights to Mautitius from Singapore, but they only appear to go through South Africa, Dubai or Abu Dhabi unless you want to fly all the way back to Europe and catch a flight from there.
So if thois Air Asia X flight starts then that might do the trick.

But Original Sunshine what do you particularly like about Mauritius??
Is it the food the beaches the people?
Anything else to do except the beach or pool which we don't go that much for. Any historical stuff???
Can you recommend accommodation or a hotel?

As an alternative to Mauritius I was thinking about Bora Bora, (South Pacific - Michener) etc.
But again flights are through Japan, Auckland Los Angeles or Sydney which are for a me a pain.
Food, rum, plantations, rum, golf, rum, LOADS of historical sites, AWD, food, the people are super friendly, nice and very educated, sailing

We would stay at the 4 seasons, during off peak (June), where the weather is normally lovely but can be very rainy, and prices drop massively

The food and rum really are superb - kind of like French Carribean but closer
Old May 19th 2016, 1:21 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

They are confirming it has likely crashed. Air traffic contact was lost 10 miles inside Greek airspace and it disappeared off radar 11 miles inside Egyption airspace. Looking very much like it was a bomb to me.
May their souls rest in peace.

If it is a bomb rather than a hijack or malfunction, that means there is a serious security issue with CDG
Old May 19th 2016, 11:19 am

Food, rum, plantations, rum, golf, rum, LOADS of historical sites, AWD, food, the people are super friendly, nice and very educated, sailing

We would stay at the 4 seasons, during off peak (June), where the weather is normally lovely but can be very rainy, and prices drop massively

And what about rum? Is there any rum?
Old May 19th 2016, 7:46 pm
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

Food, rum, plantations, rum, golf, rum, LOADS of historical sites, AWD, food, the people are super friendly, nice and very educated, sailing...
And what about rum? Is there any rum?
Sorry BB. There's none left.
OS has used up the whole EU quota of Mauritian rum in one post!

JC3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.