Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

First impressions on Penang

First impressions on Penang

Old Nov 24th 2013, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

SpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of light
Default First impressions on Penang

Hello,

These are my observations of my one week break in Penang in mid November.
Firstly, as some of you who met me may know, I am not not looking at retiring there, but just someone in their early 30's looking to take some time out from the working life.

Probably a long post, so sorry about that. In no particular order:

Yep, kind of uncomfortable to be walking for the main part of the day. Though it doesn't stop me doing so. I walked for about one hour one midday/afternoon, from centre of George Town, up, into and around various roads of the residential area, and then onto the shopping malls. I liked how all the houses were all different and some quite fancy looking. Having a few big shopping malls was nice. I'm not into shopping, but I like that they are there, to escape the heat, and that they have many food options inside.

Being someone who likes walking a lot, including for commuting, I found it not great. In George Town, where I was based, I found it irritating that the paths are constantly blocked by bikes and sometimes cars. This felt worse when out walking in the day time as you end up in the hot sun even more. I was getting used to the blocked paths by the end of the week but still, I found it frustrating sometimes.

Lack of pedestrian crossings. Even right outside the big shopping malls, Paragon is the one I'm thinking of here, there is no crossing to be seen. I'm assuming, that they assume, no-one in their right mind would be walking to get there, so they don't think it necessary to add such things? It can take a while for a gap in traffic just to cross, even with an entrance directly opposite. Maybe I just missed it, or I ended up at a not often used entrance.

I do like the bus system. Lots of buses and very cheap, and was informed Penang was particularly good for this, compared to other places. not being a driver, though I can drive, I would rely on buses a lot.

Food, and eating out, was far cheaper than I expected it to be. I ended up eating dinner most days in one of the food courts, and found, having two five ringgit plates at lunch and three at dinner was generally sufficient, though I can eat more. So basically £5 a day for eating, or £10 if I included a bit more and plenty of water, which was most of the time. Only had beer on the first and last night, and was certainly not as cheap, though still cheaper than UK. But as I don't drink much these days it's not a big factor for me. Idid wander into one of the supermarkets I came across, and scanned various things I typically buy back here in the UK, and it seemed the same prices were not too different to the UK. So my thoughts are it will be cheaper to eat out than cook at home. I think I saw this same observation on a thread somewhere else.

I liked the architecture of the centre of George Town. It reminded me very much of where I used to live in Spain, allbeit with a Chinese theme. I liked the deep houses, the few I went in were spacious and interesting. On two days I was up at the break of dawn and liked how it seemed very relaxed and quiet with people drinking tea, coffee etc outside. Though perhaps these were just tourists outside their hotels, like I was.

People were all very very friendly and helpful. I think people are generally pleasant to tourists anyway, but still, I only had good experiences. Language also was handy that almost everyone spoke English. If I was going to be there for any reasonable length of time I would make some effort to learn Malay, and having some basics in Mandarin, would also work on improving that too.

I liked the variety of things to see and do, the botanical gardens and national park for walking around, and the semi-deserted beaches if you're happy to trek to get there. I ended up reaching the botanical gardens late one evening and saw many hundreds of locals jogging around which was a nice feature and made it all look very family friendly.

If I were to live there for a short while, ie, a few months, then I think I'd start off in George Town then explore the other areas more thoroughly once there. I wrote most of this last weekend and have forgotten the rest of what I was going to say, but overall impressions were very positive, and my visit confirmed what I was hoping which was I'd like to go back there to spend more time. I will stay frequenting these boards if I may, as my time window for going there is about one month next year, either side of Easter here

Thank you

Old Nov 25th 2013, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First impressions on Penang

The roads surrounding Paragon had just been converted to one way system (iirc somewhere in Jun/July 2013).

I do see a pedestrian crossing right in front of Paragon mall at the Kelawei Road while driving to Tanjung Bungah this morning.

But yes, I do agree with you on some of the lackings of proper infrastructure, but its slowly getting there.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 12:22 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

That's a great write up, especially for those looking at Penang on a budget. Thanks for putting down your thoughts.

Agree with you that it's not always a walker friendly place especially Georgetown which is both a nightmare to drive around and walk around, in my opinion.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 2:52 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

After my visit to Penang in October, I do very much identify with comments by Spacial Tomato (what a great name!) regarding pedestrian facilities in Georgetown. OK it’s no worse than Bangkok or Saigon but that’s of absolutely no comfort in a country which should arrive well in front of the other ASEAN countries.

The lack of much in the way of public transport increases the number of cars on the road and keeps the number of pedestrians to a minimum which I think is why pedestrians in Georgetown are getting a raw deal at the moment. Increasing public transport means increases the number of pedestrians which in turn means they need wider sidewalks (in much better repair) and more pedestrian crossings; however, this reduces the width of the road and increases the traffic congestion. It’s a vicious circle.

Even accepting that cars and buses get priority over pedestrians the space allocated to pedestrians is too limited even before it gets used as off-street parking for motorbikes –this on-pavement parking could be stopped almost overnight if the powers-that-be so decided and a little money spent on the side-walks could transform pedestrians safety.

The problem of traffic planning in cities is a common one and solutions are a bit thin on the ground. An underground mass transit system would be a great solution but it’s too expensive and is likely to get flooded periodically. An over ground transit system like in Bangkok and KL doesn’t seem to solve the problem either because it has to go above the very roads it is trying to relieve (sorry if that phrase is a bit too Bangokian for the faint-hearted). The station access at ground level together with its pedestrian entrance must impede traffic on these roads.

In France, more especially Cannes which I know well, they have come up with a hybrid solution (yes “hybrid” is techno-babble for “it won’t work”). This system runs buses down the middle of the road with traffic on either side. So the main road into town which was once a 5-lane road (2 lanes each way with a centre lane for left-turning traffic) now becomes a two-lane bus way in the middle with a single lane for cars on the outside. This single lane for cars is bisected at every bus stop with lights and a pedestrian crossing. Turning left is now prohibited (for a distance of about 4km). It’s not finished yet (after over a year of digging) but I can just imagine how this is going to turn out.

The idea is, of course, that people should leave their cars at home and use the bus to get into the town centre. But people coming from further afield (i.e. the vest majority) don’t have this option because there is absolutely no car parking provision at the bus departure points.

Whatever traffic problems Georgetown has (and personally I didn’t find them too bad) I really hope they don’t go down the elevated metro (which is really ugly) or the centralised bus lane (which is a complete disaster).

I think perhaps a well thought-out one-way system with traffic lights that take account of the speed and volume of traffic whilst allowing pedestrians the opportunity to cross the road should be the best way to go and would improve both traffic and pedestrian flow. The current experimentation with one-way streets seems to be a positive step in the right direction.

Last edited by InVinoVeritas; Nov 25th 2013 at 2:57 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
whilst allowing pedestrians the opportunity to cross the road should be the best way to go and would improve both traffic and pedestrian flow.
Permit me a quiet guffaw! If Penang is anything at all like the rest of Malaysia, pedestrian crossings are virtually death-traps. Admittedly if they are traffic-light controlled you will have a slightly better-than-even chance of getting across the road. If they are just the black and white or yellow and black painted ones (without lights) then it's pot luck!

A couple of examples - when I worked in Petaling Jaya back in 2005, there is a traffic light controlled crossing a few hundred yards from the Hilton hotel. Even when the "green man" was on, you still had to dodge the numerous motor bikes. More than once I was given a filthy glare as a motorcyclist had to veer around me!

The second example is here in Melaka, there are quite a few painted crossings (I must confess, I don't actually understand the difference between the black and white and black and yellow ones, although my wife says it is mandatory to stop at the black and yellow if someone is trying to cross) - I managed to startle a lady last week by stopping to allow her to cross. At first her reaction was that of a bunny-in-car-headlights and she was 'frozen' to the spot! Then she actually had a quick look around and almost sprinted across the road!
Old Nov 26th 2013, 3:01 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluenose1
I managed to startle a lady last week by stopping to allow her to cross. At first her reaction was that of a bunny-in-car-headlights and she was 'frozen' to the spot! Then she actually had a quick look around and almost sprinted across the road!
Old Nov 26th 2013, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

gobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to generalise wildly here and risk subsequent flames, but my experience in various SE Asian countries is that pedestrians are considered the lowest form of life, and there is an implicit assumption that even the poorest local can afford a motorbike (ok - scooter - but they are all called motorbikes). If you have to cart a family of 5 around on a 250cc Honda, so be it, but there is no way you should be walking from your dwelling to work or the markets. Prior to the motorbike, it was the pushbike, and you will still see plenty of same in China.

The reason we have cracked footpaths (and footpaths that suddenly become roadways) is that SE Asia is very much a 'user pays' society. Why would I contribute to public amenity all over the city when all I need is a road to get customers to my business and a footpath at the front of said business ?

Throw in unlicensed motorbike riders and minimal enforcement of any 'stay off the footpath' rules that *may* exist in a given country (I've never seen anyone pulled up by the cops for riding on the footpath) and again the pedestrian is a third-class citizen. Its only when you get into the big dollar shopping precincts in Bangkok, KL and Jakarta that things change, but even then getting from one side of the street to the other can be an ordeal when you have people driving around endlessly looking for free parking. Try Bukit Bintang in KL for some 'extreme shopping'. Most of the Jakarta shopping centres are laid out like 'islands' and there is rarely anything on the other side of the road that you would want anyway. Bangkok has massive pedestrian overpasses across the Sukhumvit madness - especially good for those who enjoy working their calves.

When the cheap fuel runs out - and it will - I believe SE Asia will be especially hard hit. Until then, we will have to share our footpaths with motorbike riders and take our chances at the (hahahaha) 'pedestrian crossings' - any resemblance to those facilities back in our own countries is purely coincidental
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:16 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Following your logic gobbledonk, a user of public transport must the second lowest form of life - unless they get a car to the bus stop?

Some friends regularly take a stroll along Gurney Drive. I tried it when I was there. I think it's the only sidewalk I saw which is worthy of the name!
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:29 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Oh there's plenty of good strolls....just that Georgetown isn't one of them.

Straits Quay has some nice leafy avenues with sidewalks to walk along.....and the marina itself has a nice promenade along by the sea.

Up in Tg Bungah hillside up near Alila Horizon, nice walks around the park up there amongst the hills. And the roads are quite pleasant to walk around in that area too.

Park wise....the Botanic Garden is great for walking, and the Municipal Park which is close by there.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Re: the thread heading 'First impressions of Penang'

Mine was the excitement of the ferry ride from Butterworth. I had been invited to a Saturday date with a very pretty secretary that worked in our office and I should pick her up at her house. As the trishaw driver pedalled his way past the shophouses of Penang road the stench of the ferry terminal gave way to the sweet odour of frangipani.
I arrived at the young ladies modest house and she looked beautiful in a frock. I politely introduced myself to her parents and we sat to take tea.
I enquired where she would like to go for dinner and she nicely asked "Can we go to the 'Lone Pine'? I agreed and she said her driver would accompany us...I had visions of a chaperone but he just drove us then lingered in the background
The Lone Pine was delightful as we dined on the beach with the swaying palms and shimmering waves. I was concerned about the price of dinner but she assured that if too much she would, as we say in Blighty 'chip-in', so I had a few more Tiger tops.
She informed me she was strict Catholic but was a little naughty...I took this as a sign so started my routine of looking into her eyes with lust.. sorry love and stroking her arms. Our lips met but just gently...I was prepared for the full Monty but she pulled back and said "Oh. you cannot actually touch me! That's reserved till after were engaged." I replied I was little young and naive to get engaged...couldn't we just pet first?"
"No!" she said adamantly..."I looked up your files at the base and you are perfect to marry me. You are single and due for promotion and have a good career. All you need is a strong woman like me to make you do all that."

I politely escorted her to her car and said I'll take a taxi...she left...I didn't have enough money for a taxi so a returning trishaw driver took me to the ferry at a discount.

I arrived back to RAF Butterworth just in time for curfew but the SP ordered me to the ET room. This is where young airmen have to endure the pics of all kinds of Venereal Diseases and, as the SP said...if you've been diddling your wick we need a specimen. If you have VD you will be treated and no-one but the doctor will know...if you lie..we will put you on a fizzer. I declined and went to my bunk.

Next saturday I went to the City Lights dance hall where you offered tickets to dance...and some girls got a lot more tickets than others.
know what I mean.

The year was 1956/7
Old Nov 26th 2013, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
Re: the thread heading 'First impressions of Penang'

Mine was the excitement of the ferry ride from Butterworth. I had been invited to a Saturday date with a very pretty secretary that worked in our office and I should pick her up at her house. As the trishaw driver pedalled his way past the shophouses of Penang road the stench of the ferry terminal gave way to the sweet odour of frangipani.
I arrived at the young ladies modest house and she looked beautiful in a frock. I politely introduced myself to her parents and we sat to take tea.
I enquired where she would like to go for dinner and she nicely asked "Can we go to the 'Lone Pine'? I agreed and she said her driver would accompany us...I had visions of a chaperone but he just drove us then lingered in the background
The Lone Pine was delightful as we dined on the beach with the swaying palms and shimmering waves. I was concerned about the price of dinner but she assured that if too much she would, as we say in Blighty 'chip-in', so I had a few more Tiger tops.
She informed me she was strict Catholic but was a little naughty...I took this as a sign so started my routine of looking into her eyes with lust.. sorry love and stroking her arms. Our lips met but just gently...I was prepared for the full Monty but she pulled back and said "Oh. you cannot actually touch me! That's reserved till after were engaged." I replied I was little young and naive to get engaged...couldn't we just pet first?"
"No!" she said adamantly..."I looked up your files at the base and you are perfect to marry me. You are single and due for promotion and have a good career. All you need is a strong woman like me to make you do all that."

I politely escorted her to her car and said I'll take a taxi...she left...I didn't have enough money for a taxi so a returning trishaw driver took me to the ferry at a discount.

I arrived back to RAF Butterworth just in time for curfew but the SP ordered me to the ET room. This is where young airmen have to endure the pics of all kinds of Venereal Diseases and, as the SP said...if you've been diddling your wick we need a specimen. If you have VD you will be treated and no-one but the doctor will know...if you lie..we will put you on a fizzer. I declined and went to my bunk.

Next saturday I went to the City Lights dance hall where you offered tickets to dance...and some girls got a lot more tickets than others.
know what I mean.

The year was 1956/7
WoW, an almost lustful romantic story!

Me and my friends use to sneak into the RAF (now RMAF) base for a dip in the pool.

Its kinda weird we were never caught!
Old Nov 26th 2013, 2:41 pm
Hostage Negotiator

I was at the Lone Pine in October - I didn't know it had such....history!
Old Nov 26th 2013, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I was at the Lone Pine in October - I didn't know it had such....history!
Aagh IVV...buy did you propose. I wonder how many expats have and can regail us with details.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

SpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of light

I meant to add, with respect to the number of dishes, that I was almost only eating plates full of noodles, or rice. Without one of these staples, I'm pretty sure I'd still be very hungry.

And with the blocked pathways/ sidewalks, when I say I was getting used to it in the end, I remember now, it's because I ended up just walking on the road most of the time. It was quicker and simpler to go from one end of the road to the other, much easier than trying to follow the path. Typically I seemed to only be on it for about 15% of what should have been available.

The central bus lane system works well in the places I've seen and used it in, namely Bogotá and Mexico City. However the streets are a lot wider there, much more space generally. I can't see it working in somewhere like George Town, or even Penang on a wider scale without some major demolition at the same time. (I didn't see much but that was my impression). It is possible to turn a city centre into pedestrians and residents only. When I first moved to Seville it was traffic, noise and fumes all over the city centre and around the cathedral, now it's just horses and carts and a few taxis, and is a pleasure to walk around compared to before.

Originally Posted by gobbledonk
I'm going to generalise wildly here and risk subsequent flames, but my experience in various SE Asian countries is that pedestrians are considered the lowest form of life, and there is an implicit assumption that even the poorest local can afford a motorbike (ok - scooter - but they are all called motorbikes).
Odd that, being not just a pedestrian, but someone who enjoys walking, I consider myself anything but the lowest form of life for walking everywhere I wonder if the locals seeing a tourist walking around in the midday sun there thought I was lost, poor, crazy or some combination of those. Either way, it's a shame pedestrians are thought of in that way.

Some places I've been in, and some people I've known, will walk for twenty minutes, wander around looking for their car, and then drive for ten minutes, look for parking and walk another ten minutes to their final destination, when they could have walked there in less than twenty minutes in the first place. They also drove to the bakery which was only five minutes walk away. I think that's mad, but probably not much different to how some people react to the thought of actually having to walk anywhere.

I also remember arriving at the cablecar station at the bottom of Penang Hill, then realising I didn't have enough cash to get the ticket. I asked a guard where the nearest cash machine was so I could walk there, and he pointed away and flapped his hand toward the horizon somewhere, as if to infinity, always saying "Too far! Too far. You must take bus back to George Town, get cash, then come back. Too far". Anyway, I started walking, and I arrived at said cash machine in less than ten minutes. Crossing the road to get to the cash machine took three of those, plus some hairy maneouvers I'd prefer not to repeat.

Well, I like walking, so hopefully one day life will be easier for pedestrians.

Last edited by SpacialTomato; Nov 26th 2013 at 9:10 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

gobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond repute

ST, I dont know if you've seen the quote attributed to one of the oil sheiks (I forget which country):

"My grandfather rode a donkey, I drive a Mercedes and my grandchildren will probably end up back on the donkey"

I dont think we should be junking anything with pedal power just yet, and I believe you can look forward to seeing a whole lot more pedestrians during your walks.