British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Films or Books with a Malaysian Setting (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/films-books-malaysian-setting-719576/)

the troubadour Jun 4th 2011 10:07 am

Films or Books with a Malaysian Setting

Are folk aware of any films or books that are set in Malaya/Malaysia?

I can think of....

South Pacific...filmed on Tioman Island or at least in part.

The Planter's Wife.....a low grade Brit film set on a rubber plantation ran by an English family somewhat cliched...

Lord Jim.....though unsure if filmed in Malaysia,but was set in the area.

can't think of much more...

Books

A Malayan Triolgy........ A Somerset Maughan novel that brings out the stereotype differences between the races and the goings on of the colonial gin and tonic brigade.
Rather dated but a good representation of it's time.

There is quite a popular book set during the Communist Emergency,that I read decades ago'but don't recall the name at the moment.

ex reg Jun 4th 2011 5:30 pm

Re: Films or Books with a Malaysian Setting

A town like Alice.

Any P Ramlee film.

The jungle is neutral.

There's loads. Many are non fiction.

optimistic_jim Jun 4th 2011 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 9409695)
Lord Jim.....though unsure if filmed in Malaysia,but was set in the area.

Never heard of it, but sounds good :D

the troubadour Jun 5th 2011 2:07 am

Originally Posted by ex reg (Post 9410276)
A town like Alice.

Any P Ramlee film.

The jungle is neutral.

There's loads. Many are non fiction.

The Jungle is Neutral,that was the name of the book read there decades ago,which gave a vivid account of the times.

The Virgin Soldiers is another film and book, comedy around Brit conscripts sent out to Singapore and Malaya during the emergency.

As for non fiction as happened to be living in Malaysia at the time the former Prime Minister,Mohmad Mahatir came into power,read his book The Malay Delima, soon after he unbanned it.
Rather dry but it did explain his thoughts on positive discrimination in favour of the Malay while suppressing the other races.

TopHattedCat Jun 5th 2011 3:29 am

The first movie that springs to mind is the 1992 Oscar winning 'Indochine' that had many scenes filmed in Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion (The Blue Mansion) situated at 14 Leith Street in Georgetown.

Incidently, this is also a boutique hotel & a tourist attraction but it is by guided tour only in the afternoon. It is an ok place to visit but my favourite Nyonya mansion in Georgetown is the Peranakan Mansion.

TopHattedCat Jun 5th 2011 3:34 am

The Oscar nominated Anna & The King was released in the late 1990's starring Jodie Foster & it had many scenes filmed in Malaysia.

TopHattedCat Jun 5th 2011 3:36 am

Here's a link to a website that lists movies with a Malaysian association. Unfortunately it also includes TV programs so it may take some wading through:

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?locations=Malaysia

the troubadour Jun 5th 2011 3:38 am

Originally Posted by TopHattedCat (Post 9410877)
The first movie that springs to mind is the 1992 Oscar winning 'Indochine' that had many scenes filmed in Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion (The Blue Mansion) situated at 14 Leith Street in Georgetown.

Incidently, this is also a boutique hotel & a tourist attraction but it is by guided tour only in the afternoon. It is an ok place to visit but my favourite Nyonya mansion in Georgetown is the Peranakan Mansion.

Have the film as part of my DVD collection but wasn't aware of where it was filmed.
Recall Leith Street, but not the Mansion. Will take note next time in Penang.

Strider24 Jun 7th 2011 1:46 am

One of my favourites is "A Town Like Alice" the first half is set in Malaya. A few other great old yarns are:
The Long Day Wanes
Red Jungle
The War of the Running Dogs
The Jungle is neutral:thumbup:

flares Jun 7th 2011 7:41 am

Entrapment with Sean Connery and that Welsh bint

nonthaburi Jun 7th 2011 7:51 am

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 9415626)
Entrapment with Sean Connery and that Welsh bint

that is a terrible movie though. Watched it on TV a couple of weeks ago. Sean Connery playing an old robber out for one last job hammimg it up. Its only saving grace was Catherine Zeta Jones as eye candy. Just MHO.