Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Filipina wife renewing 30 day tourist visa

Filipina wife renewing 30 day tourist visa

Old Feb 15th 2012, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

larryX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Filipina wife renewing 30 day tourist visa

I have searched but cannot find the info, so please excuse me if I am asking ‘the same old question’ over again.

I am British, My wife is Filipina. We live in Spain, my wife has permanent residency.

We came to Malaysia on 17h Jan. I got a 3 months visa stamp, my wife a 30 day stamp.

After 28 days we went to Hat Yai and returned the next day. My wife was told she should have stayed out of the country for at least 3 days. They reluctantly gave her the 30 days stamp (but forgot the two finger fingerprint).

As we will be here for another 36 day, we will now have the renewal problem again.

We don’t really want to spend 3 plus days in another country.

I have tried to search fpr the info on the internet but not ‘spring out’.

Any advice would be most grateful

Thanks
Larry
Old Feb 15th 2012, 9:01 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filipina wife renewing 30 day tourist visa

I don't know the answer but just did a google and found one website that said that if staying more than 30 days, you need to apply for a visa at relevant embassy. Maybe you had better get along to an embassy.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Bakedbean but we are in Malaysia now.

I did email the Malaysian Embassy in Madrid this morning, following my post here.

This is their reply:
I refer to your email dated today, Filipino citizens does not require visa up to 30 days of stay on social purposes, and extensions are not allowed.

Not exactly very helpful and as we did extend the 30 days in 2004 when we were here at the Immigration Office, not accuate either.

I have replied to the email, this is part:-

The problem we have is that I cannot see anywhere (on the internet) if she leaves Malaysia after 30 days, that there is a set period before she may return again and get a new 30 day stamp. (The present 30 days will permit her to be in Malaysia until 14th March). We don’t want next time to find that when we return she is not permitted entry, albeit for the few days until she will embark on 20th March to Manila and from there to Spain.

Thanks for advice.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

I think you may struggle. I know quite a few people here from the 'Pinnes, mostly band players on contracts but they often have friends visit for protracted periods.

From what I can gather they also have to do the visa run for an extension BUT I'm told Immigration will only do this twice before serious questions are asked and maybe detention and deportation. At times, their friends have not always got 30 days on the renewal either, just 14. There's lots of people here who seem to exist full time on visa runs but I think it depends where you come from and whatever reciprocal visa arrangements may be in place.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Why can she just get a British passport? If you guys marry more than 4 yrs she can apply British passport easily, I think.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Harlow Lad
Why can she just get a British passport? If you guys marry more than 4 yrs she can apply British passport easily, I think.
We live in Spain. She is still waiting, having applied 3 years ago, for a decision if she will be granted Spanish nationality.

I really don't understand some countries' policies.

I understand that if I enter the Philippines with my wife, I automatically get a 1 year entry permit.

It would seem sensible for any country to encourage visitors who will spend their money to to visit and stay for as long as their money holds out. Not to make it difficult. Say for example if a person enters say Malaysia with their spouse who gets a three month entry permit why shouldn't their spouse also get the same period ?

I have had the same argument with Gibraltar. Most non Europeans have to get a visa (150 euros) for a one day visit. And they must attend the nearest British Consulate in person to get the visa. This applies equally to those who have permanent residency status in the Schengen Area. Again, who is suffering? The businesses in Gib who are losing out on extra income, and in turn the Gib government in extra taxes.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 11:23 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

yup there's a lot of strange policies for sure. unfortunate for your wife.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Countries Hierarchy. Sad but do exist.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

LarryX....most expats in Asia are in agreement with you...appears to make no sense...we all suffer. That is why most expats have to plan ahead...I've been having a similar experience in Indonesia for years and had, until recently, been visa running to Malaysia, Thailand, Hong Kong and Singapore.
PITA no joke!

Asean passport holders get an automatic free 30 day visa between other Asean countries. I haven't heard of that Thai border 3 day 'out' rule so suggest you go to Singapore for the next visa 30 day entry.
Alternately go to the Malaysian Embassy in Thailand or Singapore and apply for a longer term visa on your wife's passport.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Well guys great news.

I solved the problem of my wife and the 30 days.

I have just changed our return flights so we will leave before the 30 days expires.

As I said great news for us, BUT of course Malaysia will loose out on the money we would have spent, but I guess even the Government cannot see the big picture !!!!!