Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Fancy a bar crawl around Asia?

Fancy a bar crawl around Asia?

Old Apr 13th 2016, 8:33 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fancy a bar crawl around Asia?

Me too! I feel this huge thirst coming on....

Asia's 50 best bars of 2016

worlds50bestbars

JC3
Old Apr 13th 2016, 9:43 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fancy a bar crawl around Asia?

Nice idea for a topic, JC3.

I think the website is strange though. I've seen a Bar or three in Singapore and have never heard of any of these. I note that there's a little button at the bottom of the page saying Drinks International, who are presumably the drinks suppliers of these establishments

In Singapore:
I've always liked 5 Emerald Hill. It's just that the building is wonderful (both inside and out). Emerald Hill is full of old Peranakan houses. I took some photos on my last trip down to Sing. I'll see if I can dig one out.
No.5 Emerald Hill Cocktail Bar - Since 1991
It's also not a bad bar.

Mr bakedbean was always a big fan of Brewerkz on the river. It's a microbrewery and you can sit there at the Bar watching the brewers making the beer and doing whatever brewers do. (Don't ask me as I am clueless about beer.)
I don't know if they still do, but they used to have a very complex beer menu, whereby the price changed throughout the day. Obviously cheaper during quiet times of day, and a lot more expensive in the evenings. Makes sense I suppose.
Outlets | Brewerkz Microbrewery and Restaurants

These days if I'm in Singapore, I usually pop into the Sportsman Bar in Orchard Road. It's in the Far East Shopping Centre, level one, which is just along from Hilton Hotel and Orchard Parade Hotel. (Not to be confused with Far East Plaza). Great little pub with a good band playing at the weekends and friendly owners.
Attached Thumbnails Fancy a bar crawl around Asia?-emerald-hill-no-5-adjacent-shops.jpg  
Old Apr 13th 2016, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

I would have never thought about a bar crawl in HK, China, Singapore or of cause Malaysia. For this God created Vietnam and Thailand.

But with the Brewerkz bakedbean caught me, this is exactly what I expect and next time i will show up there during my regular food festival
Old Apr 13th 2016, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Like bb I've never heard of any of the bars mentioned in Singapore.
Not surprising though. 30 years ago it might have been different.
But my regular then would have been The Wagon Wheel, a nightly visit to play Balut and sink a few.

At a push I'd go to The Yard but the aircon was south pole ish so couldn't stay long.

I suppose those two places would be called spit and sawdust places these days.

Just remembered The Terror Club from when I worked in the Sembawang shipyards.
And of course that place opposite where The Tropicana used to be just above where The Bistro du Vin now is.

I don't think the bar tenders would know how to make a cocktail in any of the places I've mentioned.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 11:33 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
Like bb I've never heard of any of the bars mentioned in Singapore.
Not surprising though. 30 years ago it might have been different.
But my regular then would have been The Wagon Wheel, a nightly visit to play Balut and sink a few.
Gosh, is that place still there? This is like memory lane We stumbled across it many moons ago. We had actually been to the Old Brown Shoe (?) on recommendation of a friend and we thought it was rubbish, so went awandering. The Wagon Wheel was like a real pub. Bustling with people drinking and chatting, and great food too as I recall.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I expect the Wagon Wheel is still there.
I don't go now that drink driving is being looked at more seriously. (not seriously enough many would say ) I used to be a regular when I was building the British Club just along the Bukit Timah Rd.

I remember when I went to the WW regularly the main barman was Mr Wong.
He was really nice and friendly to all.

But one night while working he had a heart attack and died before the medics could get to him.

So his body was covered with a sheet behind the bar and everyone kept on drinking, mainly in his memory. It wasn't disrespectful or anything it just happened like that.