Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Expats Do You Have Malaysian Friends

Expats Do You Have Malaysian Friends

Old May 24th 2011, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expats Do You Have Malaysian Friends

Originally Posted by columbine View Post
Since Malaysia does not allow dual citizenship, a Malaysian who has given up the MY citizenship and returns as a foreigner (not holding a MY passport any longer) that person is 'an expat' in my opinion

For countries that allow dual citizenship let say a Brit holding a British passport immigrates to Oz and later became a citizen of Oz, that person is not an expat of Oz nor UK, but a local of both countries
I see where you are coming from. Indeed to give up the Malaysian passport to obtain another does show a commitment to the host nation so I guess you could have it either way.

On other hand there is a short time frame for obtaining an Australian passport and have known folks whom just remained long enough to qualify and not really liking Australia departed.

The passport was a safety measure," just in case" for unseen future developments.

Not sure how you would care to call such folk,as they would call themselves Australian in terms of nationality only.

But it doesn't matter in the least. If a Malaysian "returnee"wishes to call themselves an expat,then more than fine by me.
obtaining an Australian passport and have known folk just stay long enough to qualify then they left
Old May 24th 2011, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=the troubadour;9384025]I see where you are coming from. Indeed to give up the Malaysian passport to obtain another does show a commitment to the host nation so I guess you could have it either way.

On other hand there is a short time frame for obtaining an Australian passport and have known folks whom just remained long enough to qualify and not really liking Australia departed.

The passport was a safety measure," just in case" for unseen future developments.

Not sure how you would care to call such folk,as they would call themselves Australian in terms of nationality only.

But it doesn't matter in the least. If a Malaysian "returnee"wishes to call themselves an expat,then more than fine by me.
obtaining an Australian passport and have known folk just stay long enough to qualify then they left /QUOTE]

I'd presume those who still hold on to their Malaysian passports (by right they shouldn't) though they became legally Australians, are the "real returnees" or still Malaysians ( until the MY govt finds out) then they'll have no choice but be Australians or expats in My
Am I making any sense hehe
I've met a few and it's their choice to play that kind of game and that's fine by me. I come across people from all walks of life and background. Some became friends and some faded away, some are real expats and surprisingly very few "real returnees" up to now.

Last edited by columbine; May 24th 2011 at 1:38 pm.
Old May 25th 2011, 6:33 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Ha. You always make sense, and thank goodness someone does
Old May 25th 2011, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

optimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant future

Great thread, I'm very keen to integrate with the locals during my time in MY, I will mingle with Expats too but I want to get the most out of the next three years and experience all that Malaysia and some of what South East Asia has to offer!

Just mingling with Expats would be like flying all the way to MY and then getting lunch at McDonalds!

Jim
Old May 25th 2011, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

optimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Strider24 View Post
I came home from work and as our house (then in Damansara Heights)
Strider, first of all, soooo funny!! How embarrassing but what a way to start a party!

Second, you lived in Damansara Heights, so, verdict, is the area good for a single Expat man who works in Petaling Jaya, wants to be close to good shops, resturants, etc.... not far from the Bangsar nightlife, decent modern apartment.

I don't mind an area that is a bit quiet as long as it's in easy reach of somewhere a bit more lively, but I don't want somewhere completely dead or just families doing family things.

Thanks for any advice you can give,

Cheers,

Jim
Old May 26th 2011, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Hi Jim,

That was back in the 70's and 80's, but even then when Damasara was a fraction of current size, it was mostly families and reasonably dead. In those days Bangsar had more life...but then Mt Kiara etc didn't even exist. At least Bangsar is close enough to the city to have choices and is still pretty lively itself.

I now have a little place way out on the north side in the Selayang/Kepong region...so far out it has its own "kampung" atmosphere.

Choosing an area depends greatly on the lifestyle you want and a rather staid old bloke, who enjoys semi kampung life, I'm probably not much help.